2018 MLS Week 14 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, May 29, 2018.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if their hands are tired or not, but this isn't the sort of thing they are going to touch, in my opinion. Confirming one game for Bedoya is a win at this point.

The big questions now are what Medunjanin gets (and whether or not he should have played Tuesday in the USOC match) and how much Curtin gets fined for some of his comments.

2. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    With regards Haris, I don't think the team have heard whether or not he is even under review for more than just the 1 game suspension. From what Curtin said they are "waiting to find out ", and that because they didn't appeal there was no rush to make a decision. Just like with Bedoya both player and manager said there was no spitting, and he would never do that.

This whole appeal/comments about players would never do that/claiming Atlanta players were backing up Bedoya is all worrying coming from the team (for me at least). If no appeal is made, and Haris appologises (as he did do) then odds are less is made about it and we get on with life almost as normal. The comments coming out (basically now calling Stoica a liar) is pretty much guaranteeing the magnifying glass is on the next Stoica Union game.

Of course the irony of this is the last time Stoica and Haris made news it was when Haris persuaded Stoica an opposition player didnt deserve a red card don't think they will be "friends any more".

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most they would do is levy additional punishment for not leaving the field in an orderly manner, which they could definitely get Medunjanin on, as well, if not for it being trumped by the abuse/assault.

There are minor differences in league discipline for 2CT vs one yellow and a straight red, but as player safety is not an issue, there's no reason or grounds to even bother as far as the DisCo is concerned.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the high profile nature of all this, I doubt the Union will see Stoica again for some time. I'm sure PRO doesn't think it's worth the headache.

Look how long it took for Marrufo to come back to Columbus after the Blanco jersey incident.

JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, he's under review for more than one game. If the team really doesn't know that, then someone with the team or MLS has dropped the ball. But I suspect they are well aware of what's going on.

It's not just the spitting. You have the physical contact. The not leaving the field. The language. The blasting the ball off the penalty spot. And the crotch grab. The idea that this is just about spitting misses the mark. Also, the idea that we are starting from 1-game likely misses the mark. Unless PRO drops the ball and USSF believes certain thresholds weren't met, you're either starting from 3 or 6 games. Probably 3 (partly because Stoica went 2CT and partly because MLS isn't great on discipline), but possibly 6.

I truly can't believe that even a partisan fan can look at the totality his behavior and only believe or expect he'll sit for 1 game.

I don't think there is going to be a "next Stoica Union game" for a really, really long time, so I wouldn't worry about this.

YoungRef87 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't think I ever suggested it would be 1 game. I'm expecting the standard 3 game ban anyway.

As for Stoica not refereeing a game for a while, unless there's basically a complete change in personnel as well as it not being in Chester then people's memories are long (especially fans). I still remember a "grudge" against Jorge Gonzalez for an issue in 2010 lol (and that wasn't close to what happened on Saturday. I also say that as someone who thinks 100% of the fault is on the Union players no matter what Bedoya did or didn't say.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I inferred from ".. less is made about it and we get on with life almost as normal" as meaning 1-game. I was wrong to do so.

I am interested in learning why you say "standard 3 game ban," though. There are no "standard 3 game bans" in MLS. The standard suspension for a 2CT is 1-game. So are you stipulating or assuming he was guilty of referee abuse, which is a standard 3-match ban from USSF? I ask both to figure out what you're thinking and also highlight, again, the USOC issue. I still think he wasn't supposed to play Tuesday night if the report was submitted correctly and no one dropped the ball. I just don't know where the obligations lie there.

My guess is that Stoica doesn't referee Philadelphia while both Curtin and Bedoya are still there. If one of them leaves, maybe that opens a window. But the bottom line is I do think we are talking years.

YoungRef87 and JasonMa repped this.
  8. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was my HS assignor he'd be there next game :ROFLMAO:

jarbitro and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth.

Also, it's coincidental, but they get Toledo tomorrow, and they've lost more games with him in the middle than anyone else!

Their disciplinary record with him is quite good, actually. 1.26 Y/g, and just 1 red in 19 games, and that was waaaaaaaaaaay back in his first Philly game (D Califf, VC).

10. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I definitely think Haris spat in the referees general direction, and definitely pushed/pulled and got in Stoica's face enough for a atandard 3 game VC suspension. From what you said, will that mean he should have been banned for Tuesday as part of the suspension or would that have been a 4th game as it were?

If that is true, is there any reason he wasn't charged and allowed to appeal or accept the ban to ensure that mistake wouldn't happen, and if he does get 3 games (or 3 tacked on to make 4) announced tomorrow, will that mean Richmond can complain that we used an inelligable player and get the outcome overturned? (Assuming the ball wasn't dropped by PRO or whoever deals with that).

As for Toledo, I wonder if ironically that was the red when he elbowed a Toronto player in our 2nd ever game. Definitely no complaints there. In my memory, I don't think Toledo has had a terrible decision against us, despite our bad record.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But again, there is no standard 3-game VC suspension in MLS. It’s 1-game only. Also, in this instance he wasn’t sent off for VC anyway, but that point is not.

My point deals with referee abuse and referee assault. Those two terms represent classifications that elevate this to be a USSF issue. If he was reported for either of those acts, the federation is supposed to get involved with the discipline and that leads to issues around the USOC match. I’m not saying he definitely shouldn’t have played Tuesday. But if a report of abuse or assault was properly documented with the federation, I think there’s a good chance he wasn’t supposed to play. So the questions are whether or not that occurred and then, if it did occur, whose obligation (USSF’s or the Union’s) was it to ensure he didn’t play if he was indeed not supposed to do so. If a report was properly submitted and the obligation lied with the Union, then yes Richmond might have a case. But that is all contingent on two important questions that we don’t know the answers to.

And if you think he pushed/pulled Stoica AND spat at him, the true guidelines for that would put a suspension in the 9-12 game range because you have an act of assault (6 games) plus the spitting (which would be 3+) and that’s before you deal with the red card itself and the other behavior he had while leaving the field. I never in a million years would believe we get a result like that here, but it’s worth understanding what the guidelines are for this behavior. The proverbial book really could be thrown at him because he did so much.

12. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    For me it looked like he did just before the yellow card. Maybe push/pulled is a bit much but if dealt with by yellow would that make a difference?

I have no doubt about the spitting part, and was going by previous (Maidana got 3 games).

Given that it is now Thursday night, we play tomorrow, and the incident happened Friday does that suggest there could be a very long suspension coming, or is that me reading too much into it?

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering he's suspended for Friday's game regardless of any further discipline, you gotta look for the NEXT game, which would mark the deadline for a decision. That game is June 23.

Hopefully we get something sooner than two weeks from now, but that's the absolute latest.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is MLS. This is a league that has fiddled with the most recent Dempsey and Ibra suspensions right up to the night before their subsequent matches without anyone really noticing. So I have no idea if you’re reading too much into the timing or not. The past month or so has shown it’s amateur hour.

I bet on 3 games with PRO and/or PSRA screaming about how that’s insufficient. But that’s just a guess.

YoungRef87 and GlennAA11 repped this.
  15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe someone should call Vegas and have them put a line on it? O/U 2 is safe start.

16. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...Guzman sent someone for that a few seasons ago in the attacking third (I think it was in LA, but don't remember which team). I think that incident is honestly the reason that 2cts are now reviewable. I don't remember exactly if it was 2 or 3 seasons ago, but iirc (which is a big IF) it was the first of many calls that started his fall from grace that season, and ultimately off the FIFA list.

17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have been 2013.

jarbitro repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little late in asking, but has Philly's manager and players said that no one said what is attributed to Bedoya, or just that Bedoya didn't say it?

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just that Bedoya didn't say it as far as I know.

There are basically three possibilities for the truth here.

1) Bedoya referred to Stoica as a "mother********ing cheat" and has been lying about it and gaslighting us ever since.

2) Someone other than Bedoya referred to Stoica as a "mother********ing cheat," but the culprit was misidentified.

3) The referees got together and decided to lie on the match report for some bizarre reason despite clearly having a perfectly valid reason to show the second yellow regardless.

Option 3 is patently absurd. Option 1 seems to match the video evidence. The video evidence also shows that there was no delay in showing the red after the yellow. If they're lying about Stoica forgetting Bedoya was already booked, chances are they're lying about everything so option 2 seems extremely unlikely if technically possible.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s a fourth, that Bedoya muttered something else and Stoica misheard it. To your point though, it doesn’t really matter. Bedoya was off regardless.

I guess a fifth option is that Bedoya just forgot what he said in the heat of the moment, I mean there are times when I’m absolutely sure I did (or didn’t) do or say something only to find out I clearly remembered wrong.

GlennAA11 and Ismitje repped this.
  21. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this has been beaten to death here, but #3 is exactly why Stoica mishandled this situation. Had he wanted to send him for 2ct-DRP, which would have been 100% valid, he would have acted exactly like he did--the "no more, enough is enough" signal, followed by the yellow/red. That matches what we saw.
    On the other hand, had Bedoya said something outrageous, it should have been straight red. But because all of this is true (the valid 2ct, the saying something outrageous) it is all muddled up because Stoica didn't show the cards properly.

Maybe he was flustered, or maybe in the moment he didn't think "M**F***Cheat" was straight red worthy...but then after the game to make a big deal out of "oh this is soooo bad" when in the moment it wasn't even send-off-able gives rise to conspiracy theories like #3.

I think there is an old school mentality that thinks, "let me cut him a break and run him for 2ct instead of straight red," but in a situation like this, that backfires fast.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's had a pretty good idea for almost a week. The processes around discipline for this league are a joke.

bluetooner repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 games total: