2018 MLS Week 12 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by jdmahoney, May 15, 2018.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Joe indicates on Twitter that Petrasso was cautioned for UB - lack of respect for the game.

Are we missing something here?

2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attacking possession phase (APP) – the ‘starting point’ of the reviewable period of play for a goal, penalty incident or DOGSO offence. It is the start of the attacking move which led to the goal, penalty incident or DOGSO offence and, if relevant, how possession of the ball was gained at the start of that phase of play (but not a restart which began the attack)

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Determining the APP is not that simple. Rather than try to parse it myself, the full language is below. But I would argue that the defensive play in the match in question was "a clearance that does not reach or is not controlled by a teammate," and that, therefore, the entire sequence in the penalty area was part of the APP.

refinDC repped this.
  4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I don't actually think it does. An indirect free kick can result from a yellow card offense. According to the Laws of the Game an indirect free kick can be awarded if a player "commits any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player". So he can issue a yellow there for something like unsporting behavior and have it not result in a PK, which could only happen if it is a direct kick. Now, if that was his rationale I surely don't know; I just know that you can issue a yellow card for something and not have it result in a PK.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That would be an interesting theory if an IFK had been awarded . . . but a DFK was awarded against the Galaxy, so this is a non sequitur.

Any in any event, I'm utterly lost at how you would caution for contact and not call a foul.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kicking or attempting to kick (stepping on someone would fall under this) is pretty explicitly mentioned in the Laws though ;)

You get an 'A' for effort and an 'F' for logic.

JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the way this thread has gone I guess we did confirm the ball was indeed in play when this occurred?

Has an MLS game ever been protested? Kind of moot since LA pulled out 3 points anyway, but I can only imagine the fall out if they hadn't. Certainly a pro-testable offense.

8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The ball was in play. The YouTube video MLS put online showing the incident clearly showed that the ball was in play.

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a protest, I believe, by Dallas in 2003 that was not upheld but absolutely should have been. I figure the cost of a replay, even for part of a match, far out-weighed the competition concerns considering how bad Dallas was that year.

10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should clarify for the younger folks. DC had a player shown 2 yellows without being sent off against Dallas, and Dallas ended up losing but were denied any sort of replay.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was also the Montreal @ Colorado game in 2014(?) that I was shocked was not protested. Cross (corner?) came in for Colorado, was tipped onto the cross bar, bouncing on the cross bar going out, ref blew the whistle for the corner at the same time the wind blew the ball back into play (without ever having gone fully out of play) and Colorado headed it in. Goal stood, turned out to be the winning goal.

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that was definitely a protestable incident, as well. Would have been 2012 if I've got the referee correct in my head, and I usually do.

jarbitro and JasonMa repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it was an even year. :D

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  14. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That would indicate that the caution was for something else, embellishment perhaps? Seems mighty harsh though.

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Either that (which does seem odd) or a serious mistake.