2018 MLS Week 11 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, May 8, 2018.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know you have a signed photo of Peter Walton on your desk. :sneaky:

Or has Howard replaced him in that place of honor.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We had two new guys working there first MLS matches. Nothing crazy from those games?

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivas had two penalty kicks against the home team, one 50 seconds into the game and one via video review.

4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I haven't watched any MLS in review this week, so I'll ask: those pks justified?

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say absolutely, especially the first one which was an obvious careless trip. The video review was for deliberate handling so that one comes with all the usual controversy, but I thought it was the correct decision. Rivas was screened in real time as he'd moved wide as he neared the penalty area but failed to keep his sight lines clear. AR on that side also had a crowd of bodies to see through. I doubt either could have seen the handling well enough to give the penalty without the assistance of the VAR so in the spirit of things, it was a good review.

frankieboylampard and jarbitro repped this.
  6. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would say both of his PK decisions were correct- but he didn’t do a very good job overall. He was having trouble selling his calls and he let some of the trifling stuff build up. Adrian Heath (Minnesota coach) was quoted as saying he was going to call Howard Webb first thing on Monday morning. I think Rivas has the potential to be a good MLS referee, but he probably needs a little more development in USL first.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Is there an actual detailed explanation or video of what "negligible force" actually looks like, because a lot of people could say this appears to be negligible?

8. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    Refresh my memory what is the difference between this situation and KAKA vs Collins last season

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivas was busy, as noted. It seems like Touchan had the exact opposite sort of debut. I've heard nothing about that match from a refereeing perspective.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    So PRO says that it was a deflection, but also that they got view from top FIFA ARs where there was a consensus of deflection, but not everyone agreed. They also say (with zero explanation) that it was right to reverse with VAR.