2018 Midterm Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing Illinois Bastard.

Used more in the smaller town areas because people from Chicago would buy a house on the lake - starting in the late 1980s, it was a new development across the lake from the existing town. They would be expensive for the area, and used as vacation homes. And they would not be a bit snooty towards the locals. I actually learned it from my uncle who lived in NW 'sconsin across the lake from such a development.

3. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    Ha! We spend several weekends every summer on a lake near a small town, so I suppose I might qualify. But we don't own it so there's that.

soccernutter repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    More fried cheese curds for the rest of us, I guess.

Deadtigers, Boloni86 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Jesus. I just did an image search, and now I think I need to make an appointment with a cardiologist.

[​IMG]

Stay safe, 'Nutter.

(I like the parsley. Lends it a touch of class).

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You sure you didn't google fried turds?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well I did move to a different part of the state. Now that you mention it, I am a city mouse. Never been camping, like sleeping in a tent, in my whole life.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I avoid like it was a hamburger.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a fan of the sleeping bag/tent, either. But love to get out into nature. That is one of the things I do like about 'sconsin - all the state parks.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a long shot but nothing will make me happier than see that asshat Ted Cruz lose in November.

A new Texas Tribune poll finds Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) leads challenger Beto O’Rourke by just five points in the U.S. Senate race, 41% to 36%.

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SCOTUS sending out a reminder to ********ing vote next time.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully there aren't any vacancies in the next 2 years.. I don't have much faith that the Dems will be able to take the Senate given the disparity in number of seats up for election and where they are.

Kennedy has already hinted that he's looking to leave and RBG and Breyer aren't getting any younger.. Any one of those three leave in the next 2 years and you can forget about the SC for the next decade at least.

14. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. The 2020 Senate election will be brutal for the GOP.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I said 2 years.. Dems have 5 seats to defend and really only 3 to challenge. They need to take 2 of those three seats and not lose any of the 5 to take the senate.. I like their chances in Arizona, but I'm not sure on Nevada or Tennessee.. Florida and North Dakota are going to be rough for Dems to hold..

American Brummie repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comstock is going down.....

A new Monmouth poll in Virginia’s 10th congressional district finds Jennifer Wexton (D) with a big lead over incumbent Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-VA), 49% to 39%, among all potential voters – that is voters who have participated in an election since 2010 or have newly registered to vote.

“The race does not look significantly different using two different likely voter models. A historical midterm model gives Wexton a 50% to 41% lead, while a model that includes a turnout surge in areas where Pres. Donald Trump is unpopular gives Wexton a 51% to 40% lead.”

sitruc and Funkfoot repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to believe that those incumbents will be running scared of the Democrats in 2020.

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which ones? Even though the Republicans will have about twice as many states as the Dems in 2020, it's a lot of Red states. The states up for election are:

Alabama (D), Delaware (D), Illinois (D), Massachusetts (D), Michigan (D), New Hampshire (D), New Jersey (D), New Mexico (D), Oregon (D), Rhode Island (D), Virginia (D)

Minnesota (V), Mississippi (V)

Alaska (R), Arkansas (R), Colorado (R), Georgia (R), Idaho (R), Iowa (R), Kansas (R), Kentucky (R), Louisiana (R), Maine (R), Montana (R), Nebraska (R), North Carolina (R), Oklahoma (R), South Carolina (R), South Dakota (R), Tennessee (R), Texas (R), West Virginia (R), Wyoming (R)

I'm going to assume that Minnesota goes to the Democrats and Mississippi goes Republican, so that's 12 Dem seats and 21 Rep seats. Of those the Dems will likely have 1 seat up for grabs (Alabama) and Reps will have 3 seats up for grabs (Colorado, Maine, North Carolina), maybe 4 if Texas ever decides to vote to its demographics and goes blue.

19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaska, Montana, Iowa, Georgia, South Carolina, South Dakota.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay.. I should have included Georgia. However, you're going to need to explain the rest..

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaska, Montana, and Iowa were Democratic seats in 2008. South Dakota was either Dem in 2002 or 2008 as well. South Carolina is not immune to the trends reshaping the South - as the inner South goes more red, the Carolinas and Georgia follow Virginia leftward.

I just have a good feeling about Alaska.

22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some good news for Bill Nelson. I swear if Fl vote Scott this fall, I will never step foot in that wretched place anymore....lol

A new NBC News/Marist poll shows Sen. Bill Nelson with a four-point lead over Gov. Rick Scottin the race for U.S. Senate.
    The survey, which sampled registered voters rather than likely voters, showed 49 percent favoring Nelson and 45 percent supporting Scott. That adds more uncertainty to a race that has seen back-and-forth polling throughout its duration, including in the last week.

A Public Policy Polling survey from Friday showed Nelson with a two-point lead. It was countered Sunday by a CBS News poll, which had Scott ahead by five points.
    Now, according to NBC/Marist, Nelson is up by four.

23. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing in the Constitution that says there can be only 9 justices. And in fact, in the past there were more than 9.

24. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm