2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Sorry for what - being wrong? A stupid comment, mean-spirited, and wildly inaccurate. Really weird to come on a women's college soccer forum and denigrate female student athletes. Not sure what you're overcompensating for, but I assure you, it's not working.

2. calcio1919

calcio1919 New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 11, 2017
    How long will they wait on this? Hope it is wrapped up shortly. Form what I see she has a good background with results on the field and off of it with academics.

3. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017

4. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Hampton University’s (new to the Big South) Head coach Frank Hughes resigned after NCAA complaint was filed.

5. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Complaint about what?

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #156 cpthomas, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    That's a little out of date. Derek Pittman has been named head coach at UTSA and Matt Micros at Sacred Heart.

Currently "unfilled" (meaning no official announcement yet):

Arkansas Pine Bluff
    Idaho U
    Jacksonville U
    Prairie View
    Western Michigan

7. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    He was probably complaining to the NCAA that he was doing FT work for PT pay- Many of these D1 mid-majors are leaking money

Part-Time Head Women's Soccer Coach Hampton University Hampton, VA
    Part-time
    The part-time Head Women’s Soccer Coach is responsible for initiating and administrating of all aspects of the program including but not limited to recruiting, scheduling of team activities and competition, training, academic monitoring, budget monitoring, and fundraising.

8. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacksonville has been on a slow but steady decline following their peak in 2010. Their trajectory puts them around #293 in the rankings this coming year. This suggests they're going to be in a rebuilding process for a number of years. Her CV suggests she may have good recruiting connections. She played DI and has been an assistant in a DI program. And, her DII work involved some of the "business end" of coaching work. Maybe she's out of the blue, I have no idea, but she doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

10. Red_devil99

Red_devil99 New Member

United
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    Was the decline in rpi cpt? Only ask because they won Reg season in 2011(split) and tourney in 2013. Decline in record/rank for conf has been 16/17. Some have said the fact that the board of trustee at the school with the same last name as her (her older brother) might have helped the cause or explain head scratcher...

outsiderview repped this.
  11. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  12. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    I know sarcasm when I read it.

13. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Her brother is on the board of trustees at the university.

14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, decline in ARPI. Here's Jacksonville's trend since 2007 (Year 1 in the table):

upload_2018-5-31_22-5-4.png

The blue line is an 8-year running trend. The best match I've found for next year's ARPI is the average of (1) the average of the last two years' ratings and (2) the projected next year's rating using an 8-year trend. This doesn't produce great matches with what next year's actual ARPIs will be, but it produces a better match than anything else I can find after experimenting with a lot of alternatives.

Using data like this doesn't produce great representations of reality. But, individual humans' opinions aren't great representations of reality either, even the opinions of humans who have a lot of detailed information and expertise. I think, though I can't prove it, that most of the time the data are better reflections of reality than the opinions of all but the very best of the human opinionators (or the most lucky).

L'orange repped this.
  15. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Smells fishy in the Jacksonville water. Seems pre-meditated as she left college to coach club in Jacksonville just a few months back. Also, there were successful D1 coaches and power 5 assistants that applied due to the attraction of the location compared to where they are.

Although, with the addition of Liberty in the conference JU is even less of an attractive job as they will never be at the level of FGCU, Liberty, and Lipscomb.

16. royturner

royturner Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Couldn't smell any worse, but that's what JU does, they have a "just happy to be here" mentality....always should have been a D2 school in the Sunshine State Conference.

17. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dr Ted Flogaites to UAPB. Took them long enough!

18. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Openings -
    Idaho U
    Prairie View - Site still lists Abe Garcia as Head Coach
    Western Michigan
    Hampton

Any interview processes going on? Rumors? It's been quiet on here for too long!

19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't seen any announcement about Hughes leaving Hampton, and they still list him as head coach, but I then found a May 24 tweet from him saying he was stepping down as Hampton soccer coach. So, I guess I add that to the list.

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kiki Lara out at Eastern Illinois, Jake Plant in. From their currently posted roster showing Plant as Head Coach (originally learned of it from Chris Henderson tweet).

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  21. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh, Pittman to UTSA. Will Carter be elevated?

22. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He left the head women's job at UMass-Lowell to take an assistant job on the men's side at another program. Not sure which one yet, but heard it is here in New England.
    Boston College assistant leaving to become the assistant at Harvard. If this is Foley's last year because of pressure on her at BC then can't blame him for wanting to leave.

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently showing four positions open:

Hampton
    Idaho
    Prairie View
    UMass Lowell

In 2017, there were 244 male head coaches, 88 female head coaches, and 1 m/f shared head coaching job.

So far in 2018, there are 233 male head coaches, 96 female head coaches, and 2 m/f shared head coaching jobs, with the 4 positions remaining to be filled.

The 2017-2018 comparison, however, may be a little deceptive:

In 2004, there were 201 male head coaches and 99 female head coaches.

The turnover in head coaches the last three years has been:

2016 29
    2017 37
    2018 47

An interesting question, one for which I don't have the data to answer, is whether there's a difference in the rate at which men and women leave head coaching positions.