2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    No chance that the Samford assistant will leave for Stetson. The others mentioned would probably be interested.

I’m not sure what the job pays but Stetson is a unique animal. High academic profile, high price of admission, Deland is not the most attractive place to live, not fully funded and will probably never get there, average facilities and probably unrealistic expectations considering the budget and funding shortcomings.

2. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is somewhat surprising. Flohre has done a great job wherever he has been and he really picked the EKU program up out of the doldrums. He was recently married, I believe this past summer, and he did mention "family" as the primary reason for stepping down. That is about as good of a reason as you can get.

I don't want to insult anyone by saying this, but Richmond, KY seems like it would be a pretty dreadful place to live or go to school. I've been there on business before and it didn't seem as if much is going on. If I lived there, as a person that loves the outdoors, the biggest attraction would be the proximity to Daniel Boone National Forest and to Red River Gorge. I imagine that many of the EKU faculty and staff choose to live in Lexington so the Richmond factor may not even be a big thing. I also am under the impression that the academics at EKU are somewhat mediocre. That always adds another layer of difficulty into the recruiting equation.

Flohre will end up doing OK for himself and I wouldn't surprised it he gets an even better gig somewhere. I would argue that posts about coaches resigning from a position for "personal or family reasons" do not really belong in the Hot Seat thread. I know that there have been other instances of this but in Flohre's case, he did not resign because the seat was "hot." Someone that only reads the link and doesn't bother to read the article may be inclined to think the reason Nick is stepping down is because he was pressured to do so.

3. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Good hire for Indiana. It’s a shame Duke wasn’t going to be an option for him after coach Church

4. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who did the Hooisers hire?

5. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Link? Source?
    Nothing on team's Twitter feed.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although called the Hot Seat thread, each year the Hot Seat thread covers not only teams whose coaches may be on the hots seat but also teams with head coach openings and who might be or is filling them. In that sense, the Hot Seat thread titles are a bit of a misnomer.

7. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh...care to elaborate?

8. Couragesupp1971

Couragesupp1971 New Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Nov 13, 2018
    I spoke to a Duke men's soccer coach earlier this week...... Erwin's degree is not the issue and his BA is accredited in the US (BA is required for all paid duke coaching staff). Key concern for Erwin is that the athletic director at Duke has never hired a male head coach for a women's sport.

9. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Golan at Minnesota will be taking that Duke job when Robbie retires. From my understanding there is already an unofficial agreement that this will happen.

Any word on Syracuse? Is Erwin definitely the choice for Indiana? Apparently the St Louis coach declined the opportunity to interview according to a couple coaches out here in Raleigh.

10. bigquestions

bigquestions Member

Liverpool FC
    Japan
    Nov 8, 2018
    I think that a BA is a requirement for all head coaches in Power 5's or am I mistaken?

11. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Louisiana Lafayette has been filled. Expect an announcement this week.

12. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

So who is it?

Idaho State have been speaking with several coaches and prefer a female- Northen Arizona assistant had a phone interview as did an assistant from Utah State.

13. soccer1212

soccer1212 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    OPEN

Iona
    Louisiana-Lafayette
    Syracuse
    Seton Hall
    Idaho State
    UTEP
    Wofford
    Stetson
    Central Michigan
    Oregon State
    Indiana
    Illinois-Chicago
    Yale
    UW-Green Bay
    Loyola (MD)
    Eastern Kentucky

FILLED

North Florida - Eric Faulconer (North Florida Assistant Coach)

14. ba123456

ba123456 New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    AD Isidro Metapan
    Anyone know what Oregon state's doing?

15. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Syracuse and Yale jobs seem attractive to a high profile assistant or up and coming young head coach. Any thoughts on candidates?

16. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    There was a bit of speculation a few pages back on both, but nothing more than educated guesses.

An anonymous CT board had some banter about the Yale gig. It was interesting for a little bit regarding the attractiveness of the Yale gig, the school's endowments, and whether it would be of interest to the current Princeton coach to move back to his hometown state. Someone claimed an announcement was imminent... but like any anonymous board it pretty quickly fell apart and people just started attacking each other personally.

Gotta love the internets... where everyone is a genius, and real brave.

outsiderview repped this.
  17. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Syracuse have been calling people since the day it opened so they could be further along than it seems. When they come down to reality there will start to be some movement. Reaching out to people at better jobs and telling them you expect ACC championships you won't land someone who has a good thing where they are. First they were shooting for the moon, then it turned to finding the best female candidate, I would think at some point it will turn in to a search of who will return their calls.

18. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Syracuse=Pitt. Impossible jobs. It'll be somebody unemployed from the ashes of history (Waldrum) or a naive kid.

19. TarHeel95

TarHeel95 Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Not much mention of Wofford. Are they moving the process along? Would think it would be an appealing job. Thought that would be a quick hire since HC left during summer and they put interim tag on AC. Certainly had plenty of time to line up candidates.

20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Bennekom, the Duke associate coach, has been announced as the new coach at Indiana.

21. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
  22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Good hire by CMU. Jeremy will do a great job recruiting.

Indiana hire a huge step up from previous coach. Will have good national recruiting ties and that will elevate that program.

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Idaho state hires an assistant from Ohio. Two hires today that jumped at people with those funny English accents!

USsoccerguy repped this.
  24. royturner

royturner Member

Jan 3, 2012
    We will see what happens with Indiana. Going to a big D1 school and being the head guy with no previous head coaching experience can be a whole different deal. . Look at Georgia.

spykemanne, ytrs and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  25. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    I agree, and...BL at GA had 14 years under his belt and a much bigger part of the Duke success that the other dude. Time will tell