2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting study regarding number of female head coaches:
    http://www.cehd.umn.edu/tuckercente...ad_Coaches_Comprehensive_NCAA_D-I_2017-18.pdf

The Power 5 schools that are amongst the lowest for female representation are West Virginia, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse. Each school can have their own merits as to why this is the case and how it affects women's soccer. WVU has a female coach, very successful one at that. Arkansas had a female coach who hasn't successful and has had good success since with hiring their current male coach.

On this list is Kentucky and Syracuse which get mentioned a lot on this board. Perhaps this means that if these programs are making a change they will go the female route. In which case I wonder what qualified female would be up for taking over a struggling SEC or ACC side. Or maybe these programs don't care of what their female head coach representation is any way and that is why their number is so low. Personally I feel these programs just need to make the best hire available if they want to dig out of the hole.

2. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You would have to think Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe and Georgia Southern of the Sun Belt are all at least very warm.

3. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Almost all of them, I would think.

4. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If the NCAA limited non-revenue practice times and allow the players to be students, and greek, you'd get northern party schools back into the woso mix. The appeal of the northern schools is the tremendous bar and greek scene (since there's nothing else to do). Otherwise, why would any soccer player go field turf and share bubble times? Sans sane limitations, all of these will be chronic warms/hots.

5. FreshPow

FreshPow New Member

United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which are the Northern party schools?

6. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I will take a shot at this:

ACC
    Syracuse- Gone
    Everyone else is new (Miami, Pitt) or tenured (Wake.) Wake has been very underachieving in the last few years.

SEC
    Kentucky- Got an extension? Seems to be going nowhere fast.
    Georgia- Does he have to make conference tournament and probably NCAA tournament to get some time?
    Alabama- 1 NCAA in 4 years? What are admins expectations.
    Missouri- He has tenure but is admin becoming impatient?

Big 12
    OU- 2 NCAA tournaments in 6 years. Is 2 in 7 enough if they don't make it?
    Iowa St- Not sure anyone cares

Big 10
    Michigan St- Seem to have bigger fish to fry
    Indiana- 1 NCAA in 5 years if they don't make it this year.

Pac 12-
    Oregon St.- Gone
    Oregon- Has to make NCAA tournament this year?

It would seem to be a great time to being hiring. So many top coaches that one would think are attainable.

7. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unfortunately I read your response to Holmes before I logged on. Since I have Holmes on ignore I've got to remember to log in before reading these forums so I am not subjected to his drivel.

Holmes talks out of his ass. You're wasting your time asking him your question. Besides, anything that he writes in response will be nonsense.

RtD! and FreshPow repped this.
  8. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Georgia lost (1-0) at Florida

9. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The ones never seriously in the woso mix, or the ones who did make a flash in the pan run with foreign players (Morgantown). Examples of northern P5 party schools are the B10 west of State College,, Big 12, Syracuse,

The choice between soccer and greek destroys the have-nots talent pool. The have-not coaches (non-southeast and cali P5) don't seem to realize the football-like regimens are self-destructive to their own security. I realize they are validating their jobs but you can't make less talent more talent.

10. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Kentucky lost (2-0) at Ole Miss
    Rebels scored at 1.27 in the first half and 52.21 in the second half
    Nine game losing streak for the Wildcats

11. latearriving

latearriving New Member

I have no favorites
    England
    Oct 29, 2017
    Thanks for the response, and I'm sorry for making you repeat the information. I am familiar with Chris Henderson's ratings, and I do agree that many team evaluations, especially those done by writers or coaches, do over-emphasize current information, perhaps because of the prevalence or appeal of the "eye test".

I'm curious about the ability of any approach to predict actual performance or measure the impact of a coach (or any other factor). Baseball, for example, has for years lead the way in the collection, analysis, and utilization of data, and the advanced metrics have been particularly useful in predicting outcomes, both of games (probably more accurately in the aggregate than for individual games) and particular plays. But unlike baseball, which is statistics-rich, soccer seems to have fewer actions that can be (or at least have been) meaningfully counted. And so it seems we are further away from developing accurate predictive models for soccer, although addressing that problem is one I have been wondering about quite a bit recently.

Thanks again for the explanation, as well as for all the work you put in here.

12. latearriving

latearriving New Member

I have no favorites
    England
    Oct 29, 2017
    And some coaches with winning -- or least "respectable" records -- will find themselves on the hot seat not on the basis of accumulated wins and losses, but as a result of other problems in their programs. You definitely do have to look beyond the record.

13. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    #438 spykemanne, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    "FINAL - #10 Vanderbilt 4, Kentucky 1 Congratulations to Vanderbilt, who clinches the 2018 SEC regular season championship."

Great job by Coach Darren Ambrose. Coach of the Year in the SEC?

outsiderview and sokarcrazy repped this.
  14. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Alabama 1 - Georgia 1 (F)

15. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot Seat

Syracuse
    Colorado State
    Georgia
    Idaho State
    Iowa State
    Kentucky
    Michigan State
    Marshall
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Pacific (CA)
    Seton Hall
    St. Bonaventure
    Temple
    Tulsa

App State
    Akron
    Canisius
    Creighton
    Davidson
    Georgia State
    Georgia Southern
    Grand Canyon
    Iona
    IPFW
    Lafayette
    Louisiana - Lafayette
    Louisiana - Monroe
    Nebraska Omaha
    Robert Morris
    Saint Peter's

spykemanne repped this.
  16. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    With the tie today, UGA once again misses Orange Beach. My how they have fallen.

spykemanne repped this.
  17. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Oddly enough, the jobs at Vanderbilt and Georgia were both open at the same time. Vandy, league champs and #10 in the country, made a very good hire...UGA, not so much

It seems very fitting that Georgia's last game is against last place Kentucky (quite possibly could be the last game for both coaches). The Bulldogs should be playing in November on a consistent basis, not finishing near the bottom of the SEC

oldmangrumpus repped this.
  18. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure why Georgia State is on this list still. Greatly improved over last season. 5-4-1 in conference play Tied for 4th. App State is safe as well.

19. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgia State
    2016 - 5-6-6
    2017- 3-11-3
    2018- 7-9-2

Georgia State and Georgia Southern are not playing at a decent standard. Both have an advantage of having a huge player pool to recruit from every year and should be doing better than 4th in Sun Belt. Maybe Georgia State gets hot after 2019 season, perhaps they are only warm right now..

20. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I disagree, they are far from the I-95 corridor money (RTP/Richmond north)

21. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I believe he means huge player pool for that level. Plenty of Georgia kids that could win at that level. Tophat, GSA, Concorde, and Atlanta Fire just to name a few.

22. royturner

royturner Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Good program in the beginning and in the middle of their history, bad hires during the rest of it and in a bad place currently. Should be better, no question.

23. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Creighton is safe for another season but certainly getting warm

24. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  25. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good job for someone. Athletic department has decent resources and facilities for a sunbelt school. I know there have been alleged Title IX claims in the past about inequality towards women’s sports but don’t know how much of that is true. Either way, the silly season of coaching changes has begun