2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Well what else is the coach suppose to say? Im taking over and we will struggle to win games?
    thanks for giving me the job?

6peternorth9 repped this.
  2. karlmarx123

karlmarx123 New Member

Russia
    Oct 6, 2018
    Probably a more realistic expectation for somewhere like Kentucky like just make it back to the NCAA tournament soon? Or maybe "I snaked my way to a job and now the program is worse than it has ever been".

Wildcatter and cpthomas repped this.
  3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nick? Who's his best friend?

They're struggling a bit this year but Nick's a great coach. They will be competitive - for a mid-major.

4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Maybe we want to make Kentucky more competitive? Compete more in the SEC? Talking conference and national championships you are digging your own grave. With the current state of the program clearly this guy was dreaming and is out of his depth. Kentucky HOT!

spykemanne repped this.
  5. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    NOOOOOOO, Let him stay!!!!!!!!!! (Every other SEC coach)

cpthomas repped this.
  6. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Kentucky down early (3-0) against A&M

7. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Does anyone know why/how Jeremy Groves ended up as Volunteer Asst At UK. Left the head job at Murray (very successful I might add) to become assoc HC At Mississippi State but didn’t even make it to season...I know he’s a UK alum, but strikes me as strange. Would think he’d be a candidate to fill a mid major job this off season.

8. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Final score in Lexington
    4 Texas A&M
    1 Kentucky

9. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Another loss for the Georgia Bulldogs (1-0 at Auburn)

10. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Auburn loss was almost as ridiculous as last years Kentucky loss. Auburn was down half their starting lineup and had almost zero midfielders. They changed their lineup just for this game to four backs. In talking to people at both the SC game and the Auburn game, the coaches burned up the players Thursday night and they had little in their tank Sunday. I watched the Auburn game and UGA was the better side in my opinion, but they are unbelievably bad in the final third (like really really bad).

spykemanne repped this.
  11. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Thanks, I guess that explains why UGA only had three shots on goal.

Did anybody else see that Texas A&M had 22 shots at Kentucky yesterday?

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're about 2/3 of the way through the season, here's my "actual compared to simulated" scores for new coaches and coaches with one year under their belts at their current schools. The system looks at teams' actual results as compared to what my simulation said their results would be if the teams followed their historic RPI trends (last eight years) combined with their recent RPIs (last two years). In each case -- actual results and simulated results -- the system looks at the team's record and computes a score for the team, awarding 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie. It then determines the difference between actual results score and simulated results score. A positive number means the actual results score is better than the simulated results score; and a negative number is the opposite.

upload_2018-10-8_16-25-28.png

soccersubjectively repped this.
  13. waverider

waverider New Member

KC sporting
    United States
    Sep 14, 2018
    Does anyone have an updated list to the hot seat list?

14. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Kentucky lost (4-0) at Arkansas
    Razorbacks first goal was at 22.35 and then (19 seconds later) scored again at 22.54
    Arkansas had 19 shots (7 on-goal)

blissett repped this.
  15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????

There's no such thing as the "list." Someone makes up his or her own list and may post it here. This thread, however, does not have "a list" much less an "updated list."

16. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Final from Athens
    0 Tennessee
    0 Georgia
    Volunteers had 23 shots, Bulldogs had 5

LiverpoolForever repped this.
  17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Good result for Georgia. Shot count doesn’t matter result does.

18. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
  19. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
  20. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    latearriving repped this.
  21. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pitt, UNC-Asheville and Hampton all have first year head coaches. Hard to imagine any of those seats are hot.

WACySOCCERWORLD and latearriving repped this.
  22. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova

PoetryInMotion repped this.
  23. latearriving

latearriving New Member

I have no favorites
    England
    Oct 29, 2017
    Forgive me if you have previously explained this, but as your simulation is based on historical data, it cannot account for roster changes in terms of an influx (or egress) of talent, can it? Doesn't that make the simulated results less realistic as a point of comparison to actual perfromance, at least in terms of reflecting the current season talent and performance level?

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I have explained this previously, but that's ok, it's still a good question. You're right, the simulation cannot take into account players departed and players newly arrived. Rather, the simulation is completely based on teams' historic RPI ratings.

One of my interests is in seeing how predictions based on historic performance compare with predictions that take "current" information -- such as who's departed and who's arrived -- into account. All White Kit's Chris Henderson has made predictions based on a sophisticated system that takes current information, as well as a lot of other information, into account. Each conference's coaches have made predictions about their own conference standings, presumably taking current information into account. I've kept records of those predictions and, when the season is over, will be comparing them to the simulation's predictions. The hypothesis I'm testing is that people tend to place more emphasis on current information than they should or, to put it differently, historic performance trends are more important than people think.

But apart from that, for purposes of evaluating how new coaches are doing, I think the simulation as compared to actual results is pretty good at showing a change in direction, positive or negative. Where there's a change, there may be an explanation that has nothing to do with the coach, but where there's a significant change I think it should be assigned as the coach's responsibility unless there's a good explanation why it isn't.

25. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yep. Some people just look at W-L records and assume anyone with a bad record will be fired. None of those coaches will even be on the hot seat until season 3 at the earliest.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.