2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would be surprised if GB is not open in the fall. I know someone who was involved in the brief search this summer, and the AD was looking to hire someone on a 4-year emergency contract but didn't find anyone with what he was looking for so opted for the temporary solution. AD seems to at least care about soccer, certainly on the men's side (his brother played MLS). They've had pretty good recent success on the men's side and they're fully-funded on the women's side, so it's hard to believe they don't expect more. I don't know the interim personally, and seems somewhat qualified, but I'm never a fan of promoting an interim or assistant in a program that has clearly struggled, especially as a long-term solution. I expect it to be open, and per WI state law it will have to be open for at least a week publicly before a hire can be made.

Regarding other openings, should a place like OU open up, I'd be surprised if John Hedlund at UNT isn't in the running, if he had any desire to leave. I know he does well financially at UNT, but seems like he'd be interested in a regional P5 job, or certainly SMU (not that it's going to open anytime soon). I know he's been there forever and may be a lifer, but his run of excellence in CUSA is pretty remarkable. I think the Assoc. HC has to be in the running for some mid-majors as well...again, if he'd want to leave DFW.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have anything to do with North Dakota, but I have a pretty good sense of where the teams are in the standings. Actually, the coach's statement would have been reasonably close to true through 2016. Last year, ND started to move up in the rankings and the statement at that point would not have been true. I'm guessing it might not have been a D1 coach making the statement.

3. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Regarding Green Bay. Male players have a lot fewer choices where to play D1, whereas female players have much greater opportunities. Name some schools that would be less attractive to attend than Green Bay.

4. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #379 PoetryInMotion, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Not disagreeing at all! But, I also think the fact that they’re fully funded, the AD cares about soccer, and expects (whether rightly or wrongly) more success or success on track and par with the men’s team may mean it’s more unlikely the interim is retained.

It might be Green Bay, Wisconsin, but I’m not sure there’s an excuse to be as poor as they have been over a string of years while being fully funded. (I know the grass isn’t always greener and in some cases is turf but still)

There are plenty of D2s in that region with far worse locations and less funding that have done really well (Minot, Bemidji, Mankato etc). It’s not as if the Horizon League is the ACC. Coaches that use the “bad location/unnattractive” excuse are generally misalocating resources, especially when you have 14 scholarships. If you give up on Wisconsin, Minnesota and Chicago kids, because Green Bay is that “unattractive” Dont tell me you can’t find Canadians and Scandinavians that would come to GB and help you win more than 4 games in the Horizon League.

Also, a name that should be a candidate for job openings this offseason is SH at Lamar. Went from last in his first season to winning last year, and having another mostly solid year this year. Has experience as HC at 3 SEC schools to boot. If a P5 came knocking I believe he’d go and will be in the mix for a few this offseason.

spykemanne repped this.
  5. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    #380 Norfolk, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    From what I was told the GB women are not fully funded and never have been. The Athletic Department has several head coaches who are part time. Those DIIs are not recruiting against fully funded big schools with big budgets and in big conferences. You simply can’t compare the two. Scandanavians and Canadians are more likely to head to schools in warmer climates, not like the weather they have at home. Up until recently they only had grass fields for practice and games. I heard there were years they were never able to practice outside or host a spring game.

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

12 scholarships is close enough that you can compete. Doesn’t mean Green Bay will be a conference power but gives the chance to be better than they have been. If they give the current coach a shot good luck to him. If not totally understandable that they want to get a fresh start after Brandao diminished the program.

7. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    They don’t have 12 full rides. They might have the equivalent in the form of tuition waivers but very little for room and board. So they can’t compete with other schools offering full rides, that also limits foreign players. Until recently their recruiting budget was $5,000. Why do you think coaches have left? and not just womens soccer coaches. Other than BB, it’s a D2 school.

8. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I’m not getting into a he said/she said, but their AD told at least one prospective candidate this summer they were fully funded and had 14 scholarships.

Regardless, not suggesting they should be a team that rises to national prominence but they ought to be better than they are (just like lots of other schools).

9. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    If that’s the case, it’s a very recent development. Maybe the new AD changed it.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  10. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Any insight on schools near me..Morehead has struggled since assistant Jeremy Groves left. They are losing an awful lot of games again. Western Kentucky has always ended on a mediocre note but this year they are dismal. Some nice talent and superb students, seats have to be looked at?

11. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Things are getting UGLY for the Bulldogs in Nashville
    4 Vandy
    0 Georgia
    Still in the first half (on ESPNU)

Is there a forfeit rule in college soccer???

oldmangrumpus repped this.
  12. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    It's all over at the Vanderbilt Soccer/Lacrosse Complex
    Commodores win 5-0
    Vanderbilt improves to 11-1-0 for the year (4-0 in the SEC)
    Georgia's record is now 4-5-3 (1-2-1 in the SEC)
    Carolina at UGA on Thursday

13. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    Confirmed via a formerly committed 2019. The JU coach pulled the offers from every 2019 and 2020 commit.

cpthomas repped this.
  14. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why would she honor them? They are not her recruits.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Another good weekend from Syracuse. They look like they’ve given up and accepted their fate that it’s another bad season.

Akron lost both games again- unless they make postseason I see a change being made there.

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I had Chugger hot before the season but i think the highway proximity of Blacksburg to the I-95 soccer factory and it's southerly grass fields has finally taken hold. I'm glad for him. I think they scored like 1 non-Pitt ACC goal all last season.

17. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Georgia lost again (at home) 1-0 v. South Carolina
    Next game is Sunday at Auburn (War Eagle!)

18. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Syracuse put up a fight tonight but still got dominated. Just another notch on a poor season.

19. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Shootout in Tuscaloosa. Alabama beat Kentucky 4-3
    Wildcats are now 4-10-0, (0-5 in the SEC)

ref17 repped this.
  20. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Kentucky is looking pathetic. Even EKU beat them. WKU is dismal. Morehead wooped by a goal most games. Louisville not so bad until unc beat them up. Kentucky schools let's get something going!

21. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Good for the JU Head coach! Towson University 1st year coach KV should have pulled all of the 2018 commits this year!

22. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    EKU Head coach has a great feeder system from his best friend that’s a top club coach. They will be very competitive for years to come.

23. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Hampton University (Big South)
    1-7-1 head coach Darcy and his assistant haven’t produced.

24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Here is what the coach said when he took the job:

“We will create a championship environment at Kentucky, which will culminate in Southeastern Conference titles, deep runs within the NCAA Tournament and ultimately National Championships. When a player commits to Kentucky, she will develop the physical and mental mindset necessary to fit into our championship environment, which will result in banners and trophies on and off the field.”

25. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Actually, that seems to describe the men's team
    9-0-1 right now and beat #2 Indiana the other day (3-0)