2018 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Sep 24, 2017.

1. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI!

GHjelm, bunge and goldclover repped this.
  2. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
  4. Jake Roberts

Jake Roberts Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 7, 2018
  5. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1555 chiladd, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Olimpia seemed to have changed coaches shortly after he arrived. He was one of three players who was on the outs.
    With that I have no idea on what quality player he is. But ALL 3 players were foreign players and the only foreign players on the first team. Olimpia currently has no foreign players on the first team.

Btw : I've just picked that from the article and from Twitter comments. How much of that is fact I can't verify

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  6. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Signed a CM yet?

7. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It seems like the team is going to make DeLeeuw the ACM or withdrawn forward with Katai and a new winger.

I'd be much more interested in a CB (unless the Argentine we signed is any good), a GK and a LB.

8. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I have been waiting for DeLeeuw and Katai to get it going.

9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey, keep those "afternoon delight" fantasies to yourself!

SixKick, moleman, nowherenova and 3 others repped this.
  10. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the video clips Del Grecco appears to play LB.

GHjelm repped this.
  11. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I really don't think we are going to go for another winger.....I know that rumor is out there for that one guy but I don't think that's true....they've talked about going for an attacking mid so we'll see.

12. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Fire need a new goalkeeper.
    (Really, the Fire should not need a new goalkeeper, because they should not have dumped Sean Johnson).

Richard Sanchez is athletic, he has talent, he makes some impressive saves, he looks like Paunovic, but he makes some really dumb moves and has cost the Fire a bunch of points this season. He is a liability more than an asset.

Remember, he has been a professional since 2012 and never played a first team game prior to joining the Fire.
    He managed to make 0 appearances with Tigres in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 (prior to being picked up by the Fire).
    He managed to make 0 appearances with F_C_ Dallas in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

Sanchez has given up 34 goals in 18 games this season.
    True, not all of those are his fault, but he makes so many mistakes,that many are directly attributable to his play.

Hell, he has cost the Fire a bunch of points THIS WEEK.

I rewatched the "highlights" from the Vancouver game. The Fire were completely outplayed in Vancouver, before an "out of nowhere" goal by Tony frickin' Tchani made the score look a bit more respectable. Primarily, I was watching Sanchez. Sanchez was waaaay out of position on the first goal. Sanchez even more out of position for the second goal (on the replay, he is actually outside of the penalty box when Jordan scores). On the third goal, Sanchez moves to cut off the pass, fails ...and then flops on the ground.

I then rewatched the Philadelphia game.
    The First goal was Philadelphia breaking down the defense.
    The second goal (seconds before half time), Sanchez completely missed judged the path of the cross and was left with his back facing the field as the goal was scored.
    The third goal was a major f*ck up by Sanchez. A relatively short shot/cross by Accam, Sanchez dives to bat the ball away, and so...right to Burke for an easy goal. Another monumental screw up by him.
    The losing goal, Accam makes a "dirty Sanchez" out of the defense, but it started with Sanchez. Back pass to Sanchez, who kicks up really high up in the air (as opposed to booting as a line drive down field), ball up for grabs, Accam takes it, speeds past the Fire defense (not a difficult thing to do) and shoots low. Sanchez had little chance and left sprawled out, face down, on the field.
    Two things about that goal. 1) after the initial header from the skyward kick by Sanchez, Accam is the only player who touches the ball. 2) It all started with Sanchez' miskick. It was the 95th minute, when there were 3 minutes of extra time. Boot as far as possible and the game is probably over. The final plays probably would not have happened.

Patrick McLain is not the answer, either.
    He has managed to play 6 games in MLS since 2012.
    He played two seasons in the USL.
    He has managed to save two more shots than goals he has allowed, not a good percentage).

nowherenova, goldclover, moleman and 2 others repped this.
  14. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sanchez is our answer until we sign someone better.

15. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed that for you.

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    McLain in less of a liability than Sanchez.

If Sanchez is our "answer," then the question must be:

"What sucky goalkeeper is almost as bad as Son of Lamp, and not 15% as good as Sean Johnson, yet starts for your Chicago Fiiiiiiiiiiire?!?"

17. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Jiggly_333 repped this.
  18. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think McClain needs to start and send the message that you come focused or lose your job. Both Sanchez and McClain have shown when they're focused and prepared they can have good games. Both have also proven that they can lose their focus and have disastrous games.

I personally think it comes down to showing up and staying focused for 90+ minutes. When they lose focus they get sloppy and make poor decisions.

Also find a replacement fast because these guys suck.

goldclover repped this.
  19. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Yep McLain sucks less so he should start it is that simple.

loonixxx repped this.
  20. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So have we signed, with all the money available to the club now, a serious, stud, organizing, MFin' defender yet?
    Or are we just left to for Sam to gain total consciousness, as well as ownership, before things get better?

21. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2018/07/17/chicago-fire-acquire-raheem-edwards

We gave up A LOT of TAM money for this guy.....anyone know anything about him? I don't like this move but I guess it adds depth and can he play winger? If so, do we move Katai into the #10? Or I see he also plays outside back so he can start there? I just hate the $400k when we could buy some solid players with that

rooked repped this.
  22. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Raheem Edwards is a promising young Canadian. I like him a lot, he came out of Toronto's Homegrown system and that's one of the few systems I trust in MLS. I'd hope he'd be playing instead of Collier, especially since he fits that winger role much better.

rooked and chiladd repped this.
  23. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    He can’t be any worse than the defenders we have now, so I guess that’s an improvement?

FireJuveChelsea repped this.
  24. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Has there been any update on Ellis? I thought he's played well for us....if Edwards can slide into the LB(assuming he plays on the left) and Ellis still at RB that'd be fine I think.

25. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It was weird TFC didn't protect him as he played well and was well liked by the fan base.