2018 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Sep 24, 2017.

1. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    more seriously, wtf are we doing signing 36 year old never-weres at a position where we just signed 3 20 year-olds?

I assume this means Collier and Campos are on their way to Tulsa to have their careers ruined.

Joe in CO, thetomg and xtomx repped this.
  2. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season was over when the club wasn't sold by January 1st...and I'm feeling overly generous by granting that extra month.

In other news, have you checked out LAFC? Come for salvation, stay for the Pi (Yeah, I know...should have posted yesterday. My timing is worse than a dead Englishman's).

3. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Trust the process?o_O

xtomx repped this.
  4. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll loan you mine, you'll get over that.

5. If you run short of hate I'll loan you mine, too.

xtomx and Martininho repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

If you hate your ex- you never really got over your ex- and will never grow within yourself.
    You will forever be limited by that rage and anger.

Better to move on and move up.

(Of course, I don't have kids, so I never had to see my ex-, once we [she] decided that she would keep the dog).

EDIT: Have we signed a CAM and a decent CB yet?
    No?!? Shocking!
    We still have a speculative 2018 Chicago Fire Roster.
    Okay, carry on bitching about our exes.

goldclover repped this.
  7. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Context is king, so the attempt at humor apparently fell flat. Not for the first time, and Jah knows it won't be the last. These are the jokes, folks.

For the record, I don't hate my ex, I just wish she'd get some badly needed professional help.

What I DO hate, is the ongoing impact of her [strongly suspected, but undiagnosed] personality disorder on our children, enabled by of a legal system that asserts "best interests of the children" while repeatedly presented with an obviously disturbed personality and refusing to take action. Each of the last three judges in post-decree proceedings (we're now on number...eight?) have at least once, sought refuge in their chambers in order to keep from locking her up. Then, each time the court re-shuffles the judicial case assignments every couple of years, she tries to re-litigate the entire case...and nobody on the bench has yet showed anything resembling a backbone in dealing with this lunatic, because she's pro se (not represented by an attorney, for all the lay people).

I won't further inflict my tale of woe on y'all...sadly, a [thankfully, brief] synopsis as to how this came about is available in public records (a fact which, by itself speaks volumes)....PM me if you would like a link.

But that's not necessary. Y'all have gotten an up-close and personal glimpse at that world. Loco Loco's conduct for the past week is a textbook demonstration of what it's like to deal with such a person.

Imagine having that blade at your throat...and far worse, those of your children, for fifteen years. It's frelling "Groundhog Day", except this is no movie...and because there ARE children involved, there's no "ignore" button.

There's good reason why my patience with the likes of Loco squared doesn't match yours; and why he probably shouldn't accept my invitation to a charity bout to settle our differences. It's enough to drive a man to join an Irish punk band.

/Rant over/

Cheers.

8. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    repped for frelling, not for trauma

Martininho repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry to stir up bad memories, that was not the intent of my response.

10. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense taken.

I'm in the process of drafting a custody petition (at the express request of one of my children) so the recent go-rounds in the Chicago Politics forum with someone who's become completely unhinged only preface what's to soon to come in another, far more serious arena.

At this point, I can neither ignore my child's request, nor spare them from the inevitable rage and retribution that the petition will spark from the unbalanced one. As you might imagine, this leaves me with little patience for the douchebaggery of others' craziness.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Have you tried Malört?

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Isn't Malört how children are made in Chicago?
    It used to be Chicago Bulls winning the NBA championship.

13. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think it's actually how Grendels are made...?

lethargytartare repped this.
  14. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Pulled this article from the other thread (thanks fanaddict).

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20180317/chicago-fire-gm-pleased-with-new-tv-deal

“That's fair. If I were to self-reflect, I think I would say I was personally less prepared than I would like for the draft. I personally saw less college games and less college players than I had the two previous years. So that's one spot I would say I took time away from that preparation to devote to broadcast and sponsorship and some other things.

The incomplete nature of the roster is not a result of that. It's more a result of when we have found those players and people that we've liked, the valuations have not coincided. I would say that has impacted more than anything else.

When we value a player at X and they value a player at 4X, that's big, big. And we're not talking about X on $10,000. That's a big difference. And then there are some where we made offers and were competitive and were considered, but ultimately we lost out. I think that's been part of it.“
    -NRod

The fact that we are relying on NCAA recruits to bolster our roster while the rest of the league has moved on to drawing from young talent in South America tells me all I need to know about the FO’s future plans for this team.

Bargains! Bargains! Bargains! Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

In other words expect no DP replacement equivalent when Schweinsteiger (who was brought on with funny money anyways) retires. Our team will ultimately solely consist of “undervalued (read scrubs)” college players and castoffs from other teams.

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just don't get the team. They have 4 different ways to go.

1) Go young. This requires building a real training facility with space for academy teams, agreements with other local youth teams, and a minor league affiliate that is at the very least, has player development/coaching run by someone from the Fire.

2) Go Moneyball. This requires HIRING people in the analytical soccer business and probably hiring some recent graduates who will deserve real money (more than some players on entry level contracts) because these people will probably be good enough to get high paying jobs. This would likely need some outlay of cash to bring in players of value.

3) Find players who are good and bring them here. If there is a MNT Pool player from Chicago in Europe, make sure the only team in MLS he goes to is the Fire. If Arne says there is a good kid who needs minutes, find a way to bring him here.

4) Go Team America. Make sure every player on the team is eligible for the MNT. Become the American version of Chivas. At the very least, you will have some segment of fans outside Chicago who will follow the team. The US Mens forum will circle jerk the fire roster every day.

They all require cash being spent, otherwise mediocrity is expected.

LIZZIE, willydonc and goldclover repped this.
  16. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The collateral damage would be horrifying. ;-)

lethargytartare repped this.
  17. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You DO get the team. You simply disregarded option #5, which has been amply demonstrated to be: "Create the false impression that the organization aspires to be better than the perennial "Wooden Spoon" winner, while the value of the territory rises by virtue of the emergence of other markets, and investment of other owners".

This stragety(TM) entails strict, nay, religious-fervor-level adherence to the following COMMANDMENTS: 1) Thou shalt hoard league-provided funds until they must be spent or lost, then spend all in a single season; 2) thou shalt then claim this action as unquestioned and unquestionable full proof of the organization's commitment to success; 3) Thou shalt hire from the ranks of the least competent and/or soulless (after all, where ELSE could they go) with correspondingly lowest wage/salary payable, so as to ensure their loyalty; 5) divest/ignore/demonize all who have the gall to question the stragety(TM), and/or suggest that their own investment in the success of the team (whether monetary, participatory, or emotional) means more than fcuk all, to be administered by those hired under commandment #4; 6) CHEAPER IS BETTER in all things, at all times; 7) investment by the owner of their own funds is and shall be treated as a capitol offense/mortal sin, etc; 8) laugh all the way to the bank at the ongoing gullibility of any front office personnel, player, team staff, supporter, who dares hope for better.

*One hopes that women would/do have more integrity.

18. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there a difference between the two?

GHjelm repped this.
  20. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like most kids, Grendel did have a mother. That being said, most kids don't nightly attack mead halls and kill everyone inside. Hell, my daughter's almost 2, and she's only attacked a mead hall like 3 times, tops.

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    On the other hand, isn't Angelina Jolie not only the mother to Grendel, but also the (foster/adopted) mother just about every other child on earth?

I believe that she has approximately 60,000,000 children from many countries (actually, it is 6 children from five countries).

22. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She can adopt me!

lethargytartare and xtomx repped this.
  23. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Uh oh, sounds like someone doesn’t trust “the process.” Perhaps you need to be sent to Premier Hauptmann’s re-education camp to learn the wonders of “the process” and how the accumulation of GAM and TAM overrule trivial matters such as performance on the field and a team that would be smashed by the inaugural 1998 team. Just remember, when in doubt, ask yourself, “is this good for Andi’s ROI?”

Pennsylvania Dave, goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  24. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've escaped to L.A.
    working on access to the Mia Hamm suite.
    For a kickabout. Now, go wash your mind out with soap.

lethargytartare and moleman repped this.
  25. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It looks like Montreal are out of the Nguyen chase. Stolen from Revs Boards:

He is an AM from Uruguay. Can Hauptman still manage to cheap this one out with no competition to surrender to?