2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

thank god we dont have to carry rooney this world cup..

thebigman repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I honestly can’t believe how people blindly defended him so long

He was shit for England every time it mattered after 04 regardless of his all time record, 99% of those goals in qualifying

Less pressure now, I’m glad we are passed the ‘golden generation’ as we may have some chance with less expectation

sinner78 repped this.
  3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Completely agree with this. The younger players were way too deferential to him as well.

That playing in midfield thing in the Euros - WTF was that all about?

thebigman repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    When you have to up your fashion game to the level of a WC winning manager.

99D18016-8072-4405-972D-1320723D4411.jpeg

W.A.S.P. and ChristianSur repped this.
  5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Or at least a gentleman farmer.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Peaky blinder or peeking blindly

7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was surprised at the start of the season how many people (and not just Everton fans) thought Rooney was a cracking signing and Everton could expect to have a very good season.

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm wondering if anyone has ever told Sterling to get over the ********ing ball when the goal is gaping.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, I did screaming at the TV tonight!!
    Actually thought he had a pretty good game tbf, especially the first half but his finishing really needs some work. Having said that, I don't blame him for the loss, we were still 2-0 up when our defense went awol which I'm more pissed about and no one can blame John Stones tonight.

10. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Surely Stones is better than Otamendi who seems to fall to pieces every time he is actually attacked.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    4-0 would have been much better. I've long had the view that if you ******** up such clear cut chances, when the tide turns you will regret it.

12. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just making it to the quarterfinals with Southgate at the helm, will be a huge accomplishment. Still very worried about his lack of tactics and fielding the right squad for the opponents.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well yeah course 4-0 would have been better but even so at 2-0, I would have thought our defense good enough to defend the lead. It wasn't as if our goal was being peppered by Utd. Can't really remember Ederson having a save to make other than pick the ball out of his net three times.

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't view it as a "huge accomplishment" but it might keep Southgate's critics at bay for a while. I never like it when the pundits say it will be a good achievement, as it feels as if they are creating a ceiling to what might be achieved given a bit of luck and sparky commitment.

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we'll do a better job of defending as a team simply because Rooney won't be in. He was always light at defending and was terrible at pressing.

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

sums up Capello's world cup camp and how low morale wrecked the whole cup.

W.A.S.P. and thebigman repped this.
  17. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Shame we didn't get that option instead of the Algeria match.

W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and dbs235 repped this.
  18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Squad gonna be named next wednesday.
    I just hope we dont see some stupid standby list and just call up individuals if someone pulls out.
    Standby lists have caused a load of bust-ups in the past ,with some players not wanting to be on the list after being snubbed.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    All of the reports are suggesting that a standby list will be named at the same time as the 23-man squad. Have been for months.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’m not entirely sure why we aren’t picking 30 options on Wednesday and then cutting later. Our standby options should primarily be young options that can use the call as a boost to break into the squad next season.

If say he picks someone like Smalling on standby after the way he’s treated him I wouldn’t be surprised to see Smalling retire.

21. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Fifa require them to submit a list of 35 on Monday.

22. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Southgate said something about it wanted to be a preparation for the tournament using the friendlies rather than a competition for places and feeling obligated to use them all in the friendlies.

23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah but that's not actually the same as the standby list that's been mooted in reports. Southgate has to submit a 35-man list on Monday, as you say, which apparently won't be published. A few days later, Southgate is going to name the squad itself and apparently also a standby list, which will necessarily be drawn from the remainder of the 35 but presumably won't include all 12 players. Then the squad + standbys will go off to a training camp together.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    But this is a guy that has always not been fussed about giving players chances from his squad. Even when we had qualified for the WC he only made two very late changes against Lithuania. He's never felt obligated to give an option a chance just because he's there.

He's obviously decided on his options which is fair enough but 1.) I would be surprised if we don't have at least one pull out after he's picked this squad. 2.) We can't really have an intense build up after a long season anyway.

So I don't really buy the reasoning for not just taking 30 players and delaying the squad confirmation for a while.