[2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Qualifiers: AFC] Korea vs Kuwait 2015/10/08 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not sure if many of you noticed, but I was surprised at how there were literally no green lasers around, much props to the Kuwaitis for not stooping low like their ME neighbors.

jinseokyang and doraemon repped this.
  2. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

Saudi Arabia also has a 100%, maybe he meant the only team with 4 wins and no goals conceded.
    Really happy with our form. Style of play isn't what I wanted it to be but let's qualify first.
    We can polish our team a lot more leading up to the actual WC.

3. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No more Nam Tae-hee...

[​IMG]

Seol Korea and jinseokyang repped this.
  4. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I would actually rather see Stielike work on 'style' simultaneously while qualifying. This is the best environment for it. Competitive but with mostly weak opposition, so there's plenty of room to experiment. Then he can use the final friendlies for tune-ups rather than devising whole systems from scratch.

As we saw last time w/CKH and HMB, having one system for qualifying and another for WC isn't very helpful.

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I definitely see where you're coming from, but then again:
    • It appears Stielike is pretty set on 4-2-3-1 so might as well shuffle players in and out of one formation and work on permutations within that system vs. finding a player perfect for another and trying to jam them back into it at the last second
    • Turtling minnow opponents aren't the best tactical exercise (see Germany today). Often more about execution rather than specific formation or scheme.
    • Still have plenty of matches to go, many with a bit more prep than the minimal you get in these short breaks where you spend more time travelling than on the practice pitch. This was CKRs problem I thought. Trying to do too much with too little time.

6. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  7. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So glad I didn't watch this match.

Props to the Kuwaiti gk. He kept Kuwait in the match. Too bad Kuwait's finishing was shite.

8. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who said anything about turtling?

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    well many of these minnows will try to do so even it weren't present today as much. and yet the point remains the same... the stuff that works vs some of these terrible opponents isn't a great proxy for real quality. Huge wins early in CKR didn't do squat when things got tough.

10. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Koo Ja-Cheol vs Kuwait:

datschge repped this.
  11. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh. For some reason I misread and thought you said I was saying we should practice 'turtling' against minnows.

12. korea305

korea305 Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Coral Gables
    Club:
    Miami FC
    al davis said it best, just Win baby Win

13. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  14. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seems like KJC is getting his form back. At his top form, KJC is a fking monster offensively and defensively. I like Lee JS but Koo is on an another level imo in terms of raw talent.

Some of you have this expectation that we should always win easily and with flair. There are going to be matches that are going to be ugly. We got a win, in the Middle East, and Kuwait isn't a complete minnow. If anything, Kuwait had the advantage of having their players playing in 1 nation while we got players in various countries. Even domestically, we don't got that many players anymore with China and Japan picking off all our talents from the K-League. Bigger nations in situations like these are tougher.

I'll gladly take the 1-0 win.

15. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Seems like thats all these kids do when theyre not on the pitch...taking girly selfies and playing with realtime internet out getting as many 'likes' as possible.

I can see why veterans harp on this class for being soft.

Koo looks and seems happy just being an NT pinup boy. I wonder what else he wants out of his career representing his country. Son may be of the same mold but at least he cries big tears after big games if things don't go our way.

16. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014

Way to exaggerate. And sorry to break the bad news to you but Kuwait is a fuking minnow. We just aren't where we should be and some of the rainbow chasers have become complacent.

17. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Has Koo ever played as a lone striker/false 9 under Uli?

18. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    you might be overvaluing how good korea is/should be. there are maybe 10-15 countries that can routinely hammer the minnows in their regions. and those countries aren't perfect because of the constant flux of roster and player forms during the club season. korea is arguably at best in the top 30 and maybe your fandom is just expecting too much my dude.

Ceezy, Seol Korea, KyopoOhNo and 2 others repped this.
  19. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Don't think so but can Koo play the false 9? I'm not sure that's even achievable. He's a versatile player who you can play in CAM, CM, DM, or even in the flanks occasionally if you're desperate but False 9 is not something I would want to see played by Koo.

We really don't have anyone who can play the false 9. No, JDW doesn't count. PCY is injured and won't be in the NT radar for awhile. Only one I can think of is Kim Seung-Dae but I view him as a fringe NT player at this point in his career

doraemon repped this.
  20. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Rather comical and pathetic that you are so butthurt over KJC coming into form for club and country.

21. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    kthecore is just mad that he can't read Korean so he's always yelling "OMG KOREA CIRCLEJERK"

22. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mainz had Koo as a forward alternative (albeit not first choice) and his role can tend towards forward like sometimes at Augsburg (and he played there with Wolfsburg as well).

As I've said before he has all the right tools with strength to hold up the ball, very good in the air and a scoring touch in the box.

But he also has no forward positional instincts thats so important for a forward such as being able to beat the offside trap or pull defenders out of place. Then again, he doesn't really have good positional instincts at any spot so thats what you get for having Koo in the XI.

Seol Korea, doraemon and takeuchi repped this.
  23. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    #123 The Hyphen, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    I can see why you might say that but saying Koo is soooooo talented made me spew orange juice allover my keyboard.

Hype living up to his name apparently with that post, my god. What world are you living in son? Can you stop with the needless jizzing in your pants over pretty average players? Or do it privately perhaps when no ones watching which Im sure you're good at. Its guys like you who get the kids in here thinking players are better than they actually are. Koo's a broken clock in my book. Yeah he looks good occasionally but he'll never perform that well when it counts.

24. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Or Im just jaded by how slow our progress has been. Not to confused, Im pretty pleased with what Stielike has been able to do with this mess, but Im more unhappy with the regression rather than the relativity of where we sit regionally. Kuwait has remained pretty status quo over the last decade or two. Yeah I get we just got 3 points in hostile territory, but I still think we should be much better after all is said and done. That back line is still horrendous and we still have very little going in the goal manufacturing department. If the world cup was tomorrow this team would get destroyed and we all know it. Im not support of shoe gazing, just calling a spade a spade is the right call at this point.

And yes...Koo gets on my last nerve. Havent been this anti a player since LDG, which I believe Koo is the 2nd coming of. Eerily Im seeing a lot of the same false bravado comparatively.

nmssis repped this.
  25. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    But that's the reality for all national teams. It took Germany around a decade to win the World Cup after revamping their academy/NT system. There's only so much you can do when NTs only play 10-15 games per year.