2018 FIFA WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS - CONCACAF [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by fridge46, Jan 15, 2015.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Woods-Garness, a substitute, gave Montserrat the lead, Curacao tied it at 2 and that was how it ended. Curacao won the aggregate 4-3. I predicted the exact score of 2-2 and I was the only one in my prediction contest to do so.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was changed. I wonder if the change was due to a stadium conflict with the Women's World Cup. The first leg will be in Dominica on June 11 and the second leg will be in Canada on June 16.

3. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    How it will be the draw for rounds 3 and 4 ?

Assuming the best ranked teams of FIFA ranking of August 2014 move to the next round can we have something like this :

(round #3)

Pot 1 ) Jamaica -Haití- Canada - Cuba - Aruba -Dominican Republic
    Pot 2 ) El Salvador- Suriname - Guatemala- Saint Vincent and the Graenadines - Saint Lucia - Grenada

4. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Doubtful. The Women's World Cup is going nowhere near Toronto - unless the original plan was not to hold the game in Toronto, but I am not aware of any BMO Field clashes on the original set date.

Toronto FC have no home games from May 31st to June 19th (Toronto FC II are not home during this period too). The BMO Field website doesnt have anything scheduled between these dates either... actually, the stadium hasnt been officially announced, just that the game will be played in Toronto.

The Blue Jays are at the Rogers Centre from June 5th to June 10th and from June 17th, Argonauts are playing at Varsity on the 9th - but cant see why these would require a date change if the game takes place at BMO.

June 8th is a Monday, and the first day of the FIFA window - maybe they moved the dates to allow players more preparation time (though, that should be true for the other ties). My only other guess is that Dominica couldnt host the return leg on June 16th for whatever reason!

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #108 fridge46, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Before we get into that, I think we should wait until official dates and KO times have been published. What has been quoted here and on wikipedia is first legs on Monday June 8th (first day of FIFA window) and second legs on Tuesday June 16th (last day of FIFA window).

As already mentioned, the first leg of Dominica/Canada has been moved to Thursday June 11th. Additionally to that, the first leg of Puerto Rico/Grenada is being played on June 11th (KO 2000 local time according to FIFA.com). The first round has only just been completed and as the second round involves more established national teams in the region I doubt any matches will be played on June 8th as many national leagues could still be in operation on the 6th/7th June weekend.

So lets assume matches will take place on the standard dates (11th/12th & 16th), if the team hosting the second leg is unable to do so on said date, what would you do:

Delay the match by a day (if it is able to) and play outside the FIFA window?
    Play the match a day earlier (if it able to) and have a shorter turn around between legs?
    Switch which leg each country host?

EDIT: Dominica's national stadium, Windsor Park, is hosting a test cricket match between West Indies and Australia between June 5th and 9th.

EDIT #2: Toronto is hosting the IndyCar series from 12th-14th June, plus there needs to be time before hand to construct the circuit which takes place at Exhibition Place and around BMO Field.

Those are your most likely reasons for the switch of legs and the delay of the first leg from 8th to 11th!!!

EvanJ repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/preliminaries/nccamerica/index.html#274831 says Puerto Rico-Grenada will start on June 12. Also St. Vincent and the Grenadines-Guyana has been moved to June 10 and the second legs of Cuba-Curacao and Guyana-St. Vincent and the Grenadines have been moved to June 14.

8. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Yes, it's all about the Molson Indy. The last available date before the Indy would have been June 10th, and this is a bit early in the international break for the first match. It also requires them to finish setting up the course as soon as the game finishes on the Wednesday night, which means that it precludes a replay the next morning/afternooon if there's a massive storm at game time (which can happen in the evenings during June - there have been cancelled mid-week Champions League and Voyageurs Cup games previously at BMO Field).

The Indy was bumped to June because of the Pan Am games in July ... which also lead to the Womens World Cup not being played in Toronto (leaving BMO Field available for the World Cup qualifiers).

Meanwhile, if Canada makes it to round 4, there are some questions as to where they'll be playing. BMO Field is supposed to be closed from October to early May 2016 for stage 2 of the stadium expansion. Which makes a location for the November and March games questionable. The only other grass pitch currently is in Montreal which is never ready until sometime in April because of the harsher winter in Montreal than Toronto (and lack of under-pitch heating). I'd put my money on Vancouver for March - though not sure if they would play on plastic at BC Place or just accept the small crowd and some temporary seating at Swangard. I suppose November could stay at BMO given they have to be ready to play MLS cup there in early December ...

9. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    IASocFan repped this.
  10. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicaragua-Suriname got moved up a day and is under way right now. It's 0-0 about 20-25 minutes in.

edcalvi and brentgoulet repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 EvanJ, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    http://www.flashscore.com says Nicaragua just scored the first goal of the game in first half stoppage time.

Edit: Now it says Chavarria scored the goal and it was in the 45th minute, not stoppage time.

edcalvi repped this.
  12. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the lone goal held up. Nicaragua downs Suriname 1-0. Second leg is set for June 16 at Kampferveen Stadium in Paramaribo.

edcalvi repped this.
  13. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What happened to the law-changing proposal concernig dual-citizenship in Suriname?

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    FT Nicaragua 1 - 0 Suriname. In truth, it could've been three or four, but Suriname go home to Paramaribo very much still in the tie

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the reports from FutbolNica, the law is still in effect, with only local league players called up to the Suriname national team for this series.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eskapeesto posted that NBC Universo (formerly known as mun2) will show games in the USA:

St. Kitts and Nevis-El Salvador on Thursday June 11 at 8:00 P.M.
    Guatemala-Bermuda on Friday June 12 at 10:00 P.M.

Paul Calixte and brentgoulet repped this.
  17. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    For the first time ever, football fans in ex-Yugoslavia area will be able to watch CONCACAF qualifiers' games from early stages on TV. I was shocked when I saw they are showing these two games this week. [​IMG]

http://www.tvarenasport.com/m/program/?d=2015-06-12

slaminsams, EvanJ and brentgoulet repped this.
  18. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
  19. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    dinamo_zagreb and failure repped this.
  20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the ABFA's ad, both legs of the Antigua and Barbuda-St. Lucia series will be played on A&B's soil.

21. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Good result for Guyana.

22. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antigua & Barbuda and Saint Lucia are 1-1 in the 28th minute. (A&B goal in the 21st minute; SL goal in the 26th minute)

Also tonight are Aruba-Barbados and Curacao-Cuba. Both of those games kick off at 8 p.m. ET.