2018 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group A (4th)

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by AIL1998, Oct 4, 2016.

1. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    I humbly disagree with everything in that post, Australian athletes are earning millions across the globe playing in the top leagues in Europe for football, NBA, Baseball, Motoracing in just about every form, Golf, Surfing, Cricket, Rugby, combat sports and many many more. We also scored nearly 4 times as many medals as Iran at the last Olympics which was our worst Olympics performance in 28 years.

Most Iranian athletes are part time plumbers and builders in comparison. Whereas Australian athletes are living fly as hell in mansions and earning millions.

I also have physical proof of my theory to be true as one of my good friends in real life is Iranian. His name is Reza. In terms of build, he is a lot smaller than me and carries little muscle mass. He also has mediocre hand - eye co-ordination and does not like physical activity. Unlike me where i am 6 ft 4...i am also a sub 11 second 100m runner, and i am extremely muscular (some people call it being ripped)

Obviously this is just one example but no doubt through statistical analysis, South Koreans, Japanese, but more importantly relative to this convo, Australians are much more athletic than your average Iranian

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #852 Iranian Monitor, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Incidentally, to give indication of how various nations do in sports generally, and football in particular, relative to their population size, I have taken the top 20 countries in the world in population (along with a few other nations outside the top 20) and listed their current FIFA ranking and their summer 2016 Olympic ranking. The list is not meant to, and doesn't prove, anything when it comes to any of the points being discussed regarding Iran, but I thought it might be interesting nonetheless.

Rank
    Country Population
    ..............................................................FIFA Ranking.................2016 Olympics Ranking

1. China 1,373,541,278...............................#77......................................#3
    2. India 1,266,883,598.................................#96......................................#67
    3. United States 323,995,528......................#35......................................#1
    4. Indonesia 258,316,051............................#175....................................#46
    5. Brazil 205,823,665...................................#2........................................#13
    6. Pakistan 201,995,540..............................#200.....................................NR-no medals
    7. Nigeria 186,053,386................................#39........................................#78
    8. Bangladesh 156,186,882.........................#190......................................NR-no medals
    9. Russia 142,355,415.................................#62........................................#4
    10. Japan 126,702,133................................#46........................................#6
    11. Mexico 123,166,749...............................#16........................................#61
    12. Philippines 102,624,209.........................#126......................................#69
    13. Ethiopia 102,374,044.............................#136......................................#44
    14. Vietnam 95,261,021...............................#133......................................#48
    15. Egypt 94,666,993...................................#24........................................#75
    16. Iran 82,801,633..................................#23....................................#23
    17. Congo, Dem. Rep. 81,331,050..............#28........................................NR-no medals
    18. Germany 80,722,792.............................#1..........................................#5
    19. Turkey 80,274,604.................................#33........................................#41
    20. Thailand 68,200,824..............................#131......................................#35
    p.s.
    Some "random" picks:
    27. Korea, South 50,924,172......................#56..........................................#8
    32. Argentina 43,416,750............................#3............................................#27
    41. Saudi Arabia 31,540,370......................#61.........................................NR-no medals
    53. Australia 23,973,900............................#45..........................................#10
    65. Netherlands 17,224,760........................#32..........................................#11
    88. Portugal 10,349,800.............................#4............................................#78

*Uruguay wasn't on the list of even the top 100 most populous, but relative to its small population, its achievements in football are certainly remarkable. But I don't think they earned any Olympic medals in 2016 and their success seems to be focused on football and not any other sport.

Zandi360 repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #853 Iranian Monitor, Jul 14, 2017
    There was nothing much to "disagree" with what I stated and nothing you said had much relevance to what I had mentioned. The issue here is a continuation of the discussion on whether Iran's current football ranking is in any way unusual as per the arguments quoted from the Economist and thereafter, not whose athletes live in mansions! Or how you think you compare athletically to your friend Reza!

Australia may, on average, have better athletes than Iran but that is not something you will prove by the kind of arguments you made. Iran is neither stellar in terms of its rankings in sports nor really punching below its weight. If you wanted to generalize, however, the one area Iranians do excel at are sports that test physical strength, where since 2000 (and excluding the unfortunate circumstances in the last Olympics), the super heavyweight category in weightlifting has been dominated by Iran with the "world's strongest man" usually an Iranian. And where Iran is also the top side in wrestling and also quite strong in martial arts.

P.S.
    Iran ranked #15 in the London Olympics in 2012 so I don't mind you using 2012 instead of 2016:)

William McRashid and Zandi360 repped this.
  4. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Iranians might be able to lift big weights above their heads

but the real question is

can you roll down a hill quicker than an Australian?

As far as martial arts goes, I suppose Olympic related martial arts Iran does well in wrestling, Judo etc. But in professional sports like Boxing and MMA, Australia is superior. The Current interim MW champion in the UFC is Australian while the #3 ranked contender, an Iranian called Gegard decided to leave the organization because he was scared of that Australian power and isn't about dat life.

Also just so you are aware my street fighting record is 83-0

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The arguments are becoming sillier by the minute!

Incidentally, I wouldn't mind a comparison in the number of Olympic medals in men sports between Iran and Australia for 2016 as well as 2012. Women sports are obviously not relevant to physical talent pool for men's football and raise their own complexity. But to force you to rely a bit more on facts and learn to do some empirical research, perhaps you can give us the break downs.

From my quick look, I didn't notice a huge disparity and it seemed many of the Aussie Olympic medal winners were in 'water sports' such as canoeing, rowing, sailing, and swimming. Next time football is played in water, I will know to give Australia the edge:)

6. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Hmm...i think i now understand what you mean.

Basically...after breaking down this post i have come to the conclusion that you are not a believer of water sports...or perhaps...is it possible that you cannot swim?

I believe if you break down the human organism to it's primal form and origins...we are basically just fish that live on land....call it fish people if you will.

So under those circumstances as we are all part fish, clearly water is an important instrument in our genome. We drink it and we live in it. We are fish. So in conclusion i believe the Australian people are not only more athletic than Iranians, but we are more fish like than Iranians. If Darwin's theory is to be used, i believe we are close relations to our Sardine and Whale cousins than Iranians.

I personally consider myself a distant relative of the lobster....while I seem to akin a lot of Koreans to Catfish for some reason.

The few Iranians that do succeed athletically clearly have better developed submersible gills. I would equate Iranians to a snapping turtle for instance.

In regards to the medal tally at Rio, 16 of our 29 medals were won by Male athletes.

Valkyrie and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The humor aside, for comparison, Iran earned 13 medals (5 gold) in 2012 in men sports in 2012, and 7 medals (3 gold) in men sports in 2016. Australia earned 16 medals (3 gold) in 2016 in men sports and don't know the break down for 2012. But I don't think Australia earned more gold medals in men sports than Iran in either Olympic, regardless of being more directly descended from fish:)

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #858 Mani, Jul 14, 2017
    Don't forget that the real life Spider-Man is an Iranian. Now can an Aussie go up vertically this fast? I don't think so. They can only go thunder from down under. :D

9. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Ok well that's pretty cool

and I suppose Iranians are good wrestles when it comes down to human vs human but can an Iranian wrestle a live crocodile? Human vs Beast? Does an Iranian have the athletic traits to go toe to toe with a Kangaroo?

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  10. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wrestle? Absolutely

It's a shame Americans have such media power. Everyone excited about Phelps vs shark when the real show should be Mohammadi vs Cheetah

11. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    ROFLMAO. Repped for trying so hard and ensuing entertainment after getting #rekt to oblivion.

12. persia1378

persia1378 Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Italy
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol at you Australians.

lets see the entire world put you under sanctions for 40 years, and support a war against you for 8 years where you lose 1 million, and then we will see if you will be doing so well in sports and standard of living.

it is a miracle, and only because of Iranian talent and pride that we excel in so many sports, we don't even have a decent training pitch for our national team, we couldn't afford decent kits, we cancelled camps after camps because of financial issues and yet we still made the World Cup. in Australia everything is given to you, unfortunately in iran the circumstances are not the same, we had to struggle for many years and yet we still reached the World Cup of many sports.

William McRashid repped this.
  13. persia1378

persia1378 Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Italy
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    also to my fellow Iranian members, don't feed these trolls anymore, let our national teams do the talking for us, our dark days are over, now we will be successful for many and many years to come. let them cry if they want.

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't generalise.

15. persia1378

persia1378 Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Italy
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I was not generalising. I was not referring to all Australians, but rather than Australians who were posting on this thread and shared the same opinion.

thewitness repped this.
  16. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thanks for clarifying that.

17. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    These guys aren't even from the country they show us, all of them are agenda-driven and frustrated trolls that create multiple accounts. Funnily all of them woke up and posted here at the same time lol. Lot of them are really from our "region neighbours" countries :D

KiarashM and Mani repped this.
  18. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Lets take a chill pill. I thought it was some light hearted humor by RickChelsea.
    I found his posts pretty funny, and Im pretty sure that's how he intended it ;)

19. William McRashid

Jan 22, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    First of all MMA is not particularly something which should be considered as sport.
    Secondly MMA is completely inexistent in Iran as all of its are forbidden, even Boxing was banned for 15 years after the revolution.

People are simply not interested in Boxing, it is not in our culture (it is seen as a "bad" sport, because of high level of violence in that sport), let alone MMA which is against the fundamental gentlemen (or Pahlevani = "heroic") spirit which is behind all sport activities in Iran.
    Those interested in MMA, will have to leave the country. Even in 50 years and under different circumstances, this sport won't be authorized in Iran.

Anyway, people are only interested about Wrestling, Weightlifting, Taekwondo, Karate and Wushu when it comes to fighting sports.

Australia has an Olympic culture oriented mostly towards Aquatic sports, which is respectable.
    But then we can also talk about Iran's achievements in big 3 (wrestling, weightlifting, Taekwondo) through history to have a better idea of the athleticism level on both sides.

20. William McRashid

Jan 22, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Couldn't said it better. Bravo.

What I have to say to this Australian friend is that you should always take into consideration the situation and circumstances the other side has to deal with.
    We are not going to blame Australia for having peace and prosperity, certainly not and it is good that they can live under decent conditions.

However, when u start to comparing facts randomly it is pure nonsense. Middle eastern countries (and all third world countries in general) have to work 10 times more to get the same result, and they don't have access to same level facilities, opportunities ... etc to be always in par with the most modern technology and equipment.

In those countries sport is secondary.
    Compare situation in Iran and Australia, and then start to think what your people would have done under same conditions. Your country is ruled by common sense, while ours is ruled by fanatic religious people which have the upper hand on everything which happens in the country.

21. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    Do you think Mohammadi can get the same rating in a much tougher league than Russia? On top of that, most sites "scoring" system is trash, whoscored included. The eye test is obviously a much better gauge of a player's performance. Mohammadi is not top league quality yet, so he is going to spend another year in a non-top league.

By the way, your whoscored logic completely failed. You can't say Azmoun is the best striker in Asia if you compare players based on whoscored rating.

2016/17 season
    Son Heung-Min (Premier League) - 7.14
    Yuya Osako (Bundesliga) - 7.03
    Azmoun (Russia) - 6.71

As I posted before, even the best strikers in the RPL have screwed up big time in the top leagues.

22. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    Sorry for bursting your bubble.

2018 WC winner odds on William Hill, the largest bookmaker in the UK
    http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/1644903/World+Cup+2018+-+Outright.html

Japan 100/1
    South Korea 250/1
    Australia 250/1
    Iran 500/1

Reasons Iran is still taken less seriously than Japan, Korea and Australia.

1. Iran doesn't have a single player in the top five European leagues.
    2. Iran has never reached the knockout stage in the WC.
    3. Most fans know Iran got an easy qualification group this time.

23. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    No offense but Iranian Olympic athletes are only good at mickey mouse competitions. To be honest, Iran is irrelevant in major medal events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports#Classification_of_Olympic_sports_for_revenue_share

[​IMG]

Number of male athletes from Asia who won a medal in group A & B sports in Rio.

Japan
    Swimming (A) x5
    Athletics (A) x2
    Gymnastics (A) x3
    Tennis (B) x1

China
    Swimming (A) x4
    Athletics (A) x3
    Gymnastics (A)x3

Australia
    Swimming (A) x5
    Athletics (A) x2
    Cycling (B) x1

Qatar
    Athletics (A) x1

Singapore
    Swimming (A) x1

Iran
    none

24. William McRashid

Jan 22, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Please tell me how much funny is it for you, as a childish mind, so select random and unsignificient facts and to make big noise out of them times after times ?

By the way, I just learnt from you that Olympic Wrestling and Weightlifting are mickey mouse competitions.
    So basically, Caucasus, Iran, Turkey, Central Asia and Mongolia sportsmen are all mickey mouse competition athletes right ?

Please stop embarrasing yourself on topics you don't have clue about.

25. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regard the bolded sentence, I do not know the exact rating he can get in a tougher league but he is talented and has huge potential. I am sure he can do well in a much tougher leagues but honestly I am not sure Azmoun and Jahanbakhsh are good enough for tougher leagues.

He is not claiming we are the best. He is just passionate and cheering for his team Iran by posting the latest Fifa Ranking and saying bow before your king. Many fans say those sentences to cheer for their team which does not mean that they claim their team is the best.

Question: Why do you never say for example Korea was lucky to get an easy qualification group but you always say we got an easy one?

The main point to bring up other sport was to say that Soccer is not the only sport in Iran. Those Micky mouse sports according to you basketball, volleyball, futsal, beach soccer, wrestling, etc are the most important and interesting sports for Iranians compare to those non-Micky mouse sports according to to you swimming, cycling, tennis, rugby, and gymnastics. Overall Iranians do not care about the bolded sports. I know many of my compatriot friends are die hard futsal fan and do not care about any other sports. In some countries, sports such as Volleybal, Basketball, Futsal, beach soccer, etc. are really popular but in other countries those sports may not be important and the bolded sports are more important. So every country is different here.Those Micky mouse sports you mentioned are a lot more interesting and important in Iran compare to many other sports. So I see no reason to discuss which sports are Micky mouse and which sports are not.

William McRashid repped this.