2018 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group A (4th)

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by AIL1998, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Bam.... NEXT!!!!!!!
    This is great. Who can stop us!!!!!!!!!! UZB is next

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  2. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #652 KiarashM, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    A big FU to all the haters who said Iran isn't a top team in Asia.

Where are you now? We are sitting on top of the table with 17 points, and we conceded 0 goals so far. We are the first team in the world (5th appearance) who can officially qualify for the 2018 World Cup next June.

Team Melli is your daddy baby!

[​IMG]

3. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    oh yeah you are so right:D

4. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have said it before and I am not afraid to say it again. I am in fact more confident saying it.
    We are by far the best team in Asiaaaaaaa. We're going to Russia babyyyyyy

Mani and KiarashM repped this.
  5. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Solid 6 points from the March matches, now I can sleep at ease until the next set of matches.
    17 points out of 21, from 7 matches. Very strong qualification round by Iran!

Mani repped this.
  6. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Korea and Uzbekistan were saved by the cross-bar today.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  7. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    A level above :) No goals conceded yet in the WCQ round

[​IMG]

Iranian Monitor, Mani and KiarashM repped this.
  8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #658 Mani, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    And all you lil trolls and haters should just bow down to the red, green and white:

KiarashM repped this.
  9. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  10. Persian Empire

Jan 26, 2016
    California
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Carlos Queiroz the Great

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran got the job done against China. A clearly deserved win for Iran, which outclassed China all over the pitch, but not an exceptionally exciting match.

At this point, Qatar and China are all but eliminated. China have a remote, outside chance, of still finishing even 2nd in the group but Qatar can't finish among the top 2 anymore even on paper. In reality, however, neither has a realistic chance of finishing even among the top 3. That leaves the group basically a contest between Iran (clear favorites), S.Korea, Uzbekistan, and to a lesser extent Syria. Of these 4 teams, 2 will grab an automatic spot and 1 will end in the playoffs and one will be eliminated.

If Iran beat Uzbekistan in our next match, which will be at home, Iran will have clinched qualifying. In that case, S.Korea can also breath rather more comfortably as Iran won't have much to play for in our match against them, making it quite likely that Iran and S.Korea would be the automatic qualifiers, with the Uzbeks (or Syrians) the side to finish 3rd.

12. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    2009 brings back our memories and we have some unfinished business!:)

13. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    What if following happens:

8th Round:

Iran beats Uzbekistan (Iran qualifies at this stage)
    Qatar beats South Korea
    Syria beats China

9th Round:

Iran beats South Korea
    China beats Uzbekistan
    Syria beats Qatar

10th (Final) Round:

Syria beats Iran
    Qatar beats China
    anyone team wins in the last match between Uzbekistan and South Korea...

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who said they weren't? I remember arguing a while back they had to do a bit more to substantiate that they were THE top team (eg win the next Asian Cup or make the second round in 2018), but no one who follows football could seriously suggest Iran isn't A top team in Asia. Always have been even when they had a little dip in form 3-4 years ago.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    At the moment, and based on what I have seen so far, the article below pretty much sums up my view on the issue.
    http://www.foxsportsasia.com/footba...item628331/iran-simply-the-best-team-in-asia/
    Iran – simply the best team in Asia
    "How can it be that you score six goals in seven games yet you dominate your World Cup group to the extent that you are not only going to be the first in Asia to qualify but likely to do so with two games remaining?

This is Iran on the road to Russia. This is a team that has yet to concede in 630 minutes of Group A football in the final round of qualification (look back to the second round and that extends to 928 minutes). This is a team that has recorded four 1-0 wins.

Yet this is no Asian version of the often-dour Arsenal that ground their way to to English success in the late eighties and early nineties.

It is a team that should have won most of them by more, because if they are guilty of anything, it is missing chances. This is despite having some of the best strikers in Asia. It is just that unlike many others, Iran don’t sweat it when the extra goals don’t come.

This is just one of the reasons why Iran are not just the highest ranked team in Asia according to FIFA and have been for the last four years. Iran are simply the best team in Asia.

It is not Australia, it is not South Korea and it is not Japan. It is Iran."
    It is not just a team that is going to go to the World Cup but it is the one team in the continent at the moment that has what it takes to perform well in Russia.

This is the difference. If Australia, Korea and Japan qualify, there has been little so far to suggest that any one of these three has what it takes to reach the knockout stage.

Iran can. This is not just about getting there –they are going to be there –but what happens when you arrive. If Iran get to the second round in Russia thanks to a string of 1-0 wins, nobody will be complaining.

Iran are setting the standards and it is for the rest of Asia to catch up with the continent’s best team.

16. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Great article by Duerden, my favorite bits:

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I thought so too:)

As someone who was never a fan of Querioz, and who still can't side with him when it comes to many of his off the field comments and gripes, I have to admit he has built quite an impressive side. I hope this team is able to achieve the kind of things that have alluded past Iranian teams, including not just qualifying to the World Cup successively, but advancing in the tournament to the knock out stage and even beyond.

KiarashM, +PL+ and Zandi360 repped this.
  18. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our team is well disciplined and organized, has a solid defense line and decent counters. We still lack the finishing instinct. I am also a critic of CQ's ultra defensive style but he covered our past weakness in organization, discipline and defense line, that kept our performance consistent for past 3 years and we should give him credit for this.

Bottom line is, we may not see/enjoy the pure attacking style and flow of game we witnessed with our 2000s generation but Team Melli is getting decent results on daily basis with limited preparations under CQ. That makes our countrymen happy and I am satisfied.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  19. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    New Fifa ranking of top 4 teams of both WCQs groups.
    Iran 820 points GA (possibly up to 30)
    S.Korea 700 points GA (Remain the same aka 40)
    Japan 685 points GB (possibly up to 41)
    Australia 661 points GB (possibly up to 50)
    Saudi Arabia 645 points GB
    Uzbekistan 586 points GA
    UAE 453 points GB
    Syria 426 points GA
    -->China 425 points GA
    (China is very close to Syria in fifa ranking now)

20. Marfavi

Marfavi New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    I am proud of our boys

21. Marfavi

Marfavi New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Uzbekistan had the best chance to advance than S.Korea

22. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Not a hater- but just a quick note that Brazil has already clinched World Cup qualification. Iran in a good position to become the second team to clinch a berth come June.

KiarashM repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd team actually, if you include Russia ;)

24. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Apparently fifa is going to increase the number of AFC teams that can qualify for fifa world cup 2026 to 8 teams. Imagine what teams will be still missing WC according to our current standing. That means Iran, S.Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Syria, Australia and UAE will qualify and teams like China, Qatar, Iraq and Thailand still have to struggle for years to come! For these teams to have some hope in qualifying for world cup, fifa should extend the number of teams to 64 from current 32 and suggested 48 teams in WC 2026! That means pretty much 1 out of 3 countries in the world will have a team in WC! It is just embarrassing.

Do you agree with expanding WC to 48 or 64 teams?

25. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No. I think 32 is fine as it is. I must concede however that I haven't read arguments in favor of expansion).

Even with the expansion to 48 teams, I don't think AFC should get 8 spots.. 6.0 or 6.5 is enough.