PBP: 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: USA vs. Honduras 11/19 8:00 ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 18, 2018.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    AAAAAAH! Honduras were doing the classical keep the ball in the opposition's corner flag. As if they were trying to maintain a one goal advantage.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  2. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A concacaf underdog that just needs to lose by less than 4 is a terrible recipe for a match.

onefineesq, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 US Full Time

The second half was a weird viewing experience with Honduras mostly content to let the US pass the ball around in their own half, take the 1-0 loss, and the trip to the World Cup.

US take on Mexico in the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Final Wednesday at 7:00 eastern.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1064704974519746560 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Game over. I have never seen Honduras play so pathetic a match. I suppose there was a point to it. The one time they went on the offensive they were promptly scored upon.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and gunnerfan7 repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    US vs Honduras comparison:
    Shots 12 to 2
    Corners 5 to 0
    Possession 66% to 34 %

Mario Balotelli, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a good performance, but Honduras is always tough to play against, and we won. I didn't like how we approached the game the last 30 minutes. If Honduras scored, I wouldn't be saying it was undeserved. Its youth football. Play the game from start to finish. Stop worrying so much about results. Honduras did the same thing. They were happy about a loss. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Ochoa didn't have anything to do, but no major errors. Still not good with his feet. Dest's offensive play was spotty today. Not as good as the last game, but good enough. McKenzie was one of the better players today, and I thought he had some very inaccurate passes. Says more about the play of others today than McKenzie playing all that well. Richards is a great athlete. One of the best we've produced at the CB position. Struggled with his passing today on his off-side. Gloster was one of the better players today, but you still can't rely on much from him offensively. Always good defensively though.

Midfield was really bad, I thought. Servania had an off-game. His passing was really bad today. Accuracy, weighting, timing were all off. Mendez was invisible. Amaya was more active than the other CM's, and tried to find the ball, but his decision making is not good and he doesn't have the talent to create the chances that he tries to create.

Pomykal tried to find the game. Not his most effective game, but one of the better performers today. Akinola wasn't that bad. Scored a goal (didn't make good contact, but it went in), and he didn't ruin that many attacks. Soto was better today than the last game. He missed one chance, but I liked his play. Lets not make too much of no goals through two games. Perez and Torres added nothing. Rennicks did his usual hard working routine.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't play to our standard but I think Akinola deserves the honor.

Sombrerito and punintended_13 repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    CONCACAF Soufflé?

Winoman repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't think they were as dirty in this game as usual. I was surprised about that, but this is exactly why Honduras is so hard to beat within the region, and then they struggle outside the region. They get away with all types of fouls and gamesmanship in CONCACAF. Outside of the region, referees don't stand for any of that, and they are forced to play football, which they can't do.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's a finisher, but he has very good ball control. He can make flashy plays with the ball, although he's not an athletic type to dribble and create many chances.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He is. Don't overreact. He scores a goal per game in a better league on a weekly basis.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    #88 don Lamb, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Richards has been very impressive and extremely clean on the ball. Gloster was excellent. Pomykal showed the most intent. Most of everyone else was........ pedestrian.

From a prospect point of view, Rennicks and Soto offer an interesting comparison (I would say that there is no comparison between Sargent and Soto at this point). Rennicks is a much more active player and would have been a more effective player to start this game against a Honduras side playing so defensively. Soto likes to stay centrally and wait for plays to develop around him. Rennicks is quicker and, I think, a better dribbler. They both look to combine with teammates, but Soto likes to the person being combined with while Rennicks likes to initiate the combo. Soto is much more of a finesse player. Rennicks' game intelligence is approaching brilliant. I'm not sure yet how Soto really reads the game. Soto appears slightly more technical and creative than Rennicks.

LouisZ and punintended_13 repped this.
  14. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they didn't hack the crap out of our players. All things considered I'd rather play to a drab 1-0 win than have Honduras kick and injure our players for 90 minutes like Costa Rica. But yeah...it was somewhat ridiculous that Honduras was playing not to lose 4-0.

I thought our backline looked outstanding. Dest and McKenzie are very good prospects. Richards was big and imposing, but not quite as comfortable in possession. Gloster was fine.

Mendez has received a lot of hype on these boards, but I feel like I'm missing something. What are the strengths in his game that have people so excited? He looked relatively anonymous today (neither particularly good nor bad). Was this just an off day?

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #90 ussoccer97531, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Gloster, Richards, McKenzie, Pomykal

Gloster put in another reliable defensive shift. Richards and McKenzie marshaled the defense well. McKenzie was better in the build up. Richards athleticism is elite. Plays in first gear, but has a high athletic gear, if he needs it. Its reminiscent of EPB, but a little taller.

Pomykal was the best of the attackers. Tried to find the game in midfield, move the ball up field without long-balls. Only midfielder/attacker who had any success with that.

punintended_13 and don Lamb repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think whether you buy into the hype or not (I think some do and some don't), everyone should agree this was an off day.

I think his strengths are his ball-striking. Really good with free kicks, long shots, corner kicks. He knows how to strike a football. Pretty good passer. Incisive passing is above-average. Not a real connector of the game who is going to pop up all over to give the game its rhythm, more of a flash play type of central midfielder who will pick his spots. I think he's better defensively than some think. Athleticism is below-average, but not by that much. I think he has an average soccer IQ. He sees plays develop, but I think he plays selfishly, so you don't always see good decisions. Not much of a 1v1 player. #8/10. I think he's more of a #8.

la torre repped this.
  17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The jury will be out on Mendez for some time. He is a very good player and a big prospect, but he has not been close to tested at the level that he will need to be in order to prove himself as a pro. His strength is in circulating the ball in relatively tight areas (absolutely crucial for a good 8). He probably doesn't have the creative chops to be a 10, but he will get the ball into good situations for his team all day long. This is something that is extremely valuable when done at a high level, but the center midfielders might be the most difficult to judge in terms of whether their skill will translate to higher levels since their play revolves around so many variables that are out of their control.

Lookingforleftbacks and la torre repped this.
  18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yes, I agree that it will take time to see how Mendez is developing. He was less active tonight, but even so I noticed a few instances where he had recognized double teams and got out. He sent a nice through ball that the alert GK picked off, but the pass was weighted nicely. His body language convinces me that he knows what he's supposed to do, where with some other MFs I feel less certain. Like everyone else there he's a work in progress, but the fact that Freiburg saw enough in him to sign him is encouraging. Stay tuned...

20. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time seeing him and not the best game for it, but I thought at least today, his touch and control were not very good. He had a few chances he did not trap well or mishit it.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right, I haven't seen enough of him but so far he is not doing what I would expect from his pedigree. Put it this way, if Sargent would be playing, he would either score or make the easy pass in the 1 vs the keeper and most likely Sargent would do better with the header opportunity that Soto had. Is early but I haven't seen him overpower any defender.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Richards was very good at the CB spot. He is strong but not as thick as EPB. This time I was paying close attention to Servina, kid covers ground well and makes tackles like he is supposed to, his passing is above good but not excellent. He may just be the 6 we all are waiting for.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  23. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like our formation under Sarachan, it never holds its shape.

TimB4Last repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does Ramos tend to overrate latino players?

he's included a lot of them in his teams and who of them has ever really made it as a pro let alone usmnter?

25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    that’s not a requirement for being a good forward.

outquick, outsmart, outdribble, outposition maybe. but not overpower.

you can be a world class forward without being able to overpower a defender.

don Lamb repped this.