2018 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EvanJ, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is failing Canadian players! :) Jokes. I make them.. Poorly.

jayd8888 repped this.
  2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think most have moved on from that after the homegrown deal was done under Montagliani, which is more than fair.

The attention/scrutiny is now aimed at how poorly the 3 Canadian MLS clubs have been developing players over the years.

Osorio played his youth soccer first in Brampton, Ontario and then in Uruguay. He's not a product of TFC academy.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    could easily show 5 minutes of this exact problem in matches going back to 2007. There was a time when this wasn't happening though, such as when Beckerman or Cameron or Edu were played at DM. Then he could run around and do important stuff everywhere! Shame everyone seemed to think that was a bad idea. I happen to like St. Peterburg in the summer.

4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Funny idea but no. Rapids more unifying in Colorado than national teams are (i.e. Rapid fans include American, Mexican, El Savadoran, Europeans, etc...). But I'd take this team over the current Rapids line-up.

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They do have a case for it, just wasn't in the picture

Gamecock14 repped this.
  6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    speak for yourself. I hold the SS in as much regard as MLS Cup.

sitruc, Gamecock14, RafaLarios and 2 others repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW!!!! It's been awhile since I heard being called that.......I stand by ALL my opinions/comments about him.

SixKick repped this.
  8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    And no matter how much anyone values it, it will never determine the league champion.

SixKick, jayd8888 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good for you but you're part of a small minority (of Canadians) that feels the way you do.

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, real sports in the US don't count the regular season title since the playoffs/championship are what really matter.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    "real" sports? dafuq?

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The same "real" sports that say baseball champions are "world Champions" then go lose to japanese teams in pre season?

I really dgaf what the US does or thinks anymore. In this game world wide the league is the hardest and most important thing to win. So maybe MLS and North Ameircans don't care but those who are in your hilarious words "Real" fans of the game do.

crazypete13 repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is a fantastically stupid sentiment and you really need to defend it, because it looks like you're claiming that the NPB is better than MLB.

14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well then, let's see what Canada does. Ask the average Canadian who won the Stanley Cup the last 5 years and who won the President's Trophy in that same timespan. They'll have a much better chance at the first because the regular season title is for losers.

Or go with Mexico. How many know the total Liguilla wins for their team vs how many times they finished atop the regular season.

The Europoser crap where winning the regular season matters because they weren't smart enough to create something else is beyond old.

We won't even get into how horrendous that baseball example was.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unless I google it, I have no idea. No one cares about the president cup. That's what playoffs does, only the Stanley cup matters

jayd8888 repped this.
  16. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    "World wide"

Colombia has playoffs too. And 2 champions per year, as Argentina and México.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    As far as I am concerned, the real champion of Mexico is crowned annually in Los Angeles in the Campeon de Campeones game. :)

ceezmad repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think it would be best for everyone involved (but mostly you) if you stopped posting.

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Sounds like loser talk.

When’s the last time a Canadian team won either? Google that.

Thx,

Jay!

20. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Seriously, can you prove this beyond your own hyperbole?

Also, please don’t insult TFC supporters who‘ve seen winning the V-Cup with some of our worst teams, to last year’s SS winning squad that was the class of the league for the whole season, who also won the V-Cup in a four leg tournament.

21. eltapatio

eltapatio Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Guadalajara
    Not really impressive for a 24 team competition with 5 MLS teams

It's called FOOTBALL, JJV1994 and Lukato repped this.
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    93 and Canadians have been winning the cup for the US cities.
    You're welcome :rolleyes:

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #4948 Robert Borden, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    TV ratings aren't good and you know that. I must have missed the millions that tuned in to watch TFC raise the SS. I'm not talking TFC supporters or fans but Canadians in general. I'm accurate to say that those who cares about the SS are really in the minority.

TFC success is what? 2 years old? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. TFC passed the Argos in importance recently and TFC still have a lot of work to do to gain relevance outside the GTA, dare I say within the GTA.

Used to be a huge sport radio listener and it literally took the TFC-Montreal derby playoffs for MSM to give MLS the attention it deserved. Prior to that, they just wouldn't talk about it and were constantly making fun of it. I get it, fans are all in, but said fans are the minority, and it's very recent that TFC got mainstream attention.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  24. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    If Canadians really cared about national pride, they’d be lining up to move back to Canada once their rookie contracts ended.

Thx,

Jay!

25. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Depends on who disagrees and how they do so. I 'm mostly interested in reasoned analysis which shouldn't be all the unreasonable in an news and analysis forum. So I'm probably not all that kind to people with strong opinions that are unsupported by reality.

That like that happened all the time in MLS up until recently. When a teams were successful, the cap forced them to dismantle their teams because the successful players deserved to get paid and the money wasn't there. So each seasons MLS team enter the competition severely weakened. With the introduction of new funds, this hasn't been the case for the past two years. My views on this were pretty well documented in Concacaf forum before LigaMX vs MLS matches.