2018 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Jan 24, 2018.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with @ussoccer97531 on most topics, including some where I take the other side. I'm a fan of seeing these conversations evolve and seeing other people weigh in on pertinent topics as the issue becomes more thought out. The Goslin one from the other day is an example of one where I agreed with him but still argued the other side.

A lot of times, stuff that's mainstream (or at least as mainstream as youth discussions in MLS can get) starts here with lengthy discussions. The whole "is a bad USL team detrimental to development" discussion started in one of these threads, and now it's a frequent point used in posts about almost all of our USL guys. I enjoy this stuff, I enjoy people's discussions becoming more educated, and @ussoccer97531 is one of the most knowledgeable guys around.

ShaftBrewer, Patrick167 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. @ussoccer97531 is probably the top of my list of BS members, I’d most like to have a beer with it. I don’t always agree with his opinions, but I respect the fact he’s deeply invested in forming his opinion, which he does a tremendous job researching his points. More, I like the fact he’s cool enough to take a hard stance on something that’s not popular, and I have to respect him for that,

3. Woodland76th

Woodland76th Member

Dortmund Borussia
    United States
    Aug 8, 2018
    Are folks like Weah and Gabbi eligible for this honor?

You have to respect what Weah has done so far this year in friendlies as the French Cup.

Gabbi's goals/highlights have been very impressive even with questionable competition.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's early days with Jones, but that was an impressive display against Chara and Co..

LouisZ repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would think both Weah and Sabbi are eligible. You meant Emmanuel Sabbi in Denmark, right?

Sometimes I take pre-season appearances and performance with a grain of salt. Example: Julian Green used to always get a lot of playing time and do well in pre-season for Bayern Munich. Then when the season started, he disappeared. It was a great sign that Weah was used in the French Super Cup, though.

Our definition of age, experience, etc. in order to be eligible for this honor changes and folks have different definitions. So suggest whomever you want :) We simply reserve the right to mock you mercilessly should we disagree!!!!

I think many feel the runaway pre-season favorite for this honor in Europe is Josh Sargent.

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's 21 already........... The time is now. Curtin's big hangups with Jones are his lack of consistency each day (in training and games) and that he wants Jones to be much more assertive with his play (passing forward, taking players on). To Jones' credit he is finally doing this, and has turned a lot of heads for his play in the USL. Union fans are hoping Saturday was just the start of big things for him.

frankburgers, LouisZ, STR1 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What I saw during his first run of games was a player who had poor recognition in tight quarters and had a weak first touch. He looked much improved in the Portland match.

Jones and Busio. Hopefully, each gets minutes this week.

8. Woodland76th

Woodland76th Member

Dortmund Borussia
    United States
    Aug 8, 2018
    Sabbi, yes! My apologies!

Sargent is easy to get excited over, but so is any promising attacking player who has an iota of potential because of how poor we've historically been (IMO).

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to hope that Josh Sargent and Tim Weah are the breakout stars....

But, if I’m going to be an unknown:

Let me go with, Luca De la Torre

Tillman or Olosunde seem to have a lot of potential but both are unlikely to crack their lineups. Who knows? Maybe Richards.

Personally, I’d just be content though if our budding stars just cemented their spots... speaking about Parks, Hyndman, Green, Robinson, Horvath, Moore, Carter-Vickers, Miazga, McKennie, Palmer-Brown, Sargent, etc

And can we please have a goalkeeper step up?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a thing earlier:

It's been shut down by other reporters, but still notable.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    LAFC could really use Jones.

For a euro-based player, I'd go with Jonathan Amon. His minutes are virtually guaranteed.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't going to happen. The Union FO is way too high on Jones to trade/sell him within MLS. My guess is that Minny wanted Jones and cash for Ramirez and Chris Albright laughed at them.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just in London, and asked my cousin who is a Fulham fan about him... not sure he will get a single minute in league play this season unless he goes out on loan.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #614 Clint Eastwood, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    If Jonathan Amon has another good year I can easily see a bigger club snarfing him up. In fact, there was some media discussion in Scandinavia about that already. Lots of tools.............

For our U20s right now Brady Scott at Cologne would seem to be that player. Probably won't break out this year, though. Also, its unclear how available he'll be for the U20s. After him, the pool is pretty shallow of guys that are likely to "break out" in a big way on a big stage. A guy we've only seen a little of for USYNTs so don't know much about is CJ dos Santos at Benfica. Its mostly NCAA and MLS guys in that pool. Some have talent like Justin Garces, but aren't likely to break out.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dos Santos was a back up in his youth team age group at Benfica last year. Doesn't bode well.

16. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    uh.. when you're objectively wrong, this isn't a good quality to have (in any topic)

Namdynamo repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    To me, Robinson could be the one that quickly becomes a full-time starter.
    Starting against today for Wigan against Aston Villa.

Pl@ymaker and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Your boy just scored AGAIN in Denmark. An under-the-radar (for some) possibility for a USMNT callup.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is this a broken record? Your boy just scored AGAIN for Hobro. Absolutely fire to start the season.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Second Sabbi goal. Ole defense!!!
    1028293187939573764 is not a valid tweet id

Namdynamo and Sombrerito repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There's been a lot of debate about who are the best 02's in the system. There doesn't seem to be any clear consensus about who the best '02 is. Its a rather bunched up year at the top with a lack of top-end talent. There are a bunch of names thrown around, whether its Bello, Scally, Las, Reyna, Busio, but the player who has made the biggest name for himself in the last couple of months is Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez. He scored 7 goals in 227 minutes at the recent academy playoffs. He had the most impressive playoffs of any player at the U-17 or U-19 levels. He also scored the only goal in a US win over Mexico on Monday.

Ocampo-Chavez is a menace to defenses. He has tremendous skill, pace and movement, along with tremendous finishing that makes him near impossible to defend. He routinely makes defenders look very bad. He's not the tallest striker (about 5'9 or 5'10), but he has a decent target game and works hard. Seattle has done a relatively good job with bringing through the players from their academy, so he should have a chance to pick up some MLS minutes maybe as soon as next season. He's already on a USL contract, and I assume if they want to keep him from signing with a top European side, they'll need to offer him a first team contract pretty soon.

22. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve seen him play a few times (less than the other players) and I am impressed. For now, I’m sticking with Bello as the best player from this group if he can stay healthy, but I’m definitely keeping an eye on Ocampo-Chavez. I’m still not sure how he wasn’t starting for Seattle in the DA playoffs, but he was an immediate difference maker when he came on.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  24. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    How is he compared to his teammate Serrano??

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wide gulf in ability, IMO. I know Serrano's a "name", but I think he's one of the "names" that isn't all that good. I think Serrano's somewhere in the 40-50 range in the age group. Ocampo-Chavez is competing for the top 5 spots. Good case for #1. Among Seattle 02's, I think Atencio is also comfortably better than Serrano. I also prefer Robles to Serrano, but thats definitely closer.

Sombrerito repped this.