2018 Bonus Game A vs. Club Leon, March 24th, Avaya Stadium

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Socarchist, Feb 12, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #101 falvo, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Or like someone saving you from drowning and then stabbing you in the back. I seriously doubt they did that much to “save the league”. Maybe the league was going to fold or maybe not . Either way, AEG inherited all the teams virtually free of charge. Even if the franchises cost $5 million a piece in 2004-06 (which no one really knows for sure) that is pocket change for them. This was evidenced in Beckham’s contract only six months to a year later and they came out on top in the long run.

They ended up making a lot more than they spent on their investment. I’m not faulting them for making a wise business decision but they could have done it all a lot more honestly. I’m betting even today they are making money off of having been owners of 1/2 the league during the mid 00’s. Does anyone really know or seen their profits? After a while the tired old line that the “league is losing money” gets sickening.

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've never bought into that. AEG propped up MLS because it offered a convenient way to get assets built that could funnel money to AEG through sporting events, concerts, etc. Anybody who thinks that Phil Anschutz did it through the goodness of his heart, I have this bridge in Marin I'd like to sell you...

bobby_guzman, hc897 and Beerking repped this.
  3. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure it was a three way trade sending Clark to us, Ruiz from LA to Dallas and LD to LA.

Dallas was top of the list and "traded" that away to LA to get Donovan, getting Ruiz as a consolation prize. We still had Donovan's rights and we "traded" that away to NY for Clark and another 1/2 allocation for the future. It was all league contrived bullshit.

Beerking and chris thebassplayer repped this.
  4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was like this:

The Quakes received an allocation at the time of Donovan's departure. (This is a bit of a contrived idea in the first place, that a team should get compensation for a loaned player returning to his original team.)

All of the allocations at the time had some kind of priority ranking in the event there was a returning US national team player. The Quakes were pretty low on this ranking, and Dallas was at the top. However, there was a loophole that if a team had an allocation as compensation for a departed player and never used it, and that same player came back to MLS, that team would have the rights to the player regardless of the allocation ranking.

The allocations represented a certain amount of money and could be split in half. During the time Donovan was in Germany, the Quakes split their allocation in half and traded it to the MetroStars for Ricardo Clark. This ended any chance to use the loophole described above.

Donovan and Bayer Leverkusen and MLS and AEG, etc., negotiated a full-fledged transfer with the understanding he would end up in LA. LA then traded Carlos Ruiz to Dallas for that top-ranked allocation, which enabled them to complete the deal.

davez, DotMPP, Beerking and 3 others repped this.
  5. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty close :)

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    And Lalas's role in this was to make damn sure the Quakes used their allocation so that they didn't stand in line for LD's return. IIRC that happened pretty early on.

davez, Beerking, lazlo325 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And AEG also owned the MetroStars and Lalas became GM of the MetroStars in June of that year.

davez and Beerking repped this.
  8. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add on to what others have said (especially ThreeApples), there was also the matter of Doug Hamilton, GM of the Galaxy at the time, flat out telling Landon as he was on his way back to Leverkusen that he'd have a place in LA if things don't work out in Germany.

And things didn't work out in Germany; he finally got a start, in a Champs League match against Liverpool, and he had an absolute shocker of a match:
    That was pretty much the end of his career with Leverkusen right there. Watching that go down in the Kezar Pub, I started to get a sick feeling in my stomach (as both a Quakes and USMNT fan). By this time, the deal for Rico Clark had already gone down, and I knew we didn't have the same "rights" anymore.

I didn't personally have any problem with that deal when it went down. I fully expected Landon's career in Europe to commence without a hitch, so hey, we may as well get on with our lives here. Hell, I was glad to have Clark, as he was young and good. But there's another school of thought that we (Lalas as Quakes GM) should have been patient and waited to see what happened with Leverkusen first before doing anything with the Donovan compensation we received. And, of course, there are other, more nefarious, schools of thought.......:eek::devilish:

davez and DotMPP repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We don't need to know the motives of the persons making the transactions. It was all insider trading. If these were stock transactions, the SEC would have seen that Lalas, for one, spent the rest of his life behind bars.

davez and Beerking repped this.
  10. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, a life sentence for insider trader. Has that ever happened? Regulatory capture, as American as cherry pie.

11. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    I remember that game. He started in place of Arjen Robben who was hurt. Calling it cringe worthy was putting it mildly.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Look at his eyes in this. Gotta be coked up.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #116 JazzyJ, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Or just wired on the boatload of caffeine in Red Bull.

BTW how is that whole "super team" thing going for RBNY?

17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    My point exactly, Lalas wasn't here to make our team better as GM, he was here to facilitate a smooth transfer of baby judas to the filth and our team to Texas. He didn't give two shits about our Quakes and it showed. :mad:

chris thebassplayer, sacrxy and lazlo325 repped this.
  18. lazlo325

lazlo325 Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Monterey
    Concur — we called him “Agent LAlas” at the time. He would wander through the Spartan Stadium parking (the giant grass area) stopping at tailgate parties and expecting adulation from USMNT fans. We would ask him about possible stadium deals and ownership changes, and he would be evasive and incredulous. He performed his AEG-sanctioned duties to the best of his ability.

Ginger Asshat.

Beerking, chris thebassplayer and sacrxy repped this.
  19. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So about Donovan.. at this point I don't see the value in holding a grudge. He had some big moments for us and it was important and that should be appreciated. At the same time, I don't think he should ever be truly loved or honored by the club. He chose to leave, and while I don't hold that against him at a personal level, it closed a door that's never getting opened again.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We were all minding our business, and Donovan un-retires and gets scheduled for a friendly at Avaya. Nobody on this board can be blamed for flinching when the scab was torn off.

Donovan should call a press conference, admit what went down, and ask forgiveness. Short of that, he really deserves no closure, and he is not likely to get it.

21. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Sorry, I agree he was a hell of a player for the US Nats, and I as an EARTHQUAKES fan, greeting a visiting team will boo his introduction and every touch of the ball (if he has any). He earned his nickname on these boards, BABY JUDAS.

Beerking repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #122 falvo, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    I doubt LAndy put forth any sort of effort in that CL game as he knew full well he would be back in LA come the end of March.

davez repped this.
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sacrxy and don gagliardi repped this.
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    These Liga MX friendlies in gringolandia are standard fare during FIFA windows, in July and less so in December during the Liga MX preseasons.