2018 Absolutely NO Rapids stuff here!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the five years that David Beckham has spent trying to build a stadium for Miami’s future Major League Soccer team, what’s another week?

Following Thursday’s marathon Miami City Commission meeting, which was stretched out with hours of public testimony and debate, the commissioners deferred a decision to put a large-scale redevelopment at Melreese Country Club on the November ballot for six more days.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article214690475.html#storylink=cpy

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I have not had as much time for soccer this year and so have not been watching much MLS other than the Rapids. So I took advantage of the post WC final schedule to watch Atlanta, whom I've not seen this season. And also to procrastinate from a minor plumbing chore.

Unfortunately Atlanta was playing the Floppers. I think the plumbing was less painful than watching Rodriguez and Lodeiro flop around. God I hate those guys. And I guess Atlanta has been struggling a little so I didn't even get the full show.

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, had to go find article on the new development from last one I new about. Still don't think Miami (fans) is going to support the team like other new locations are.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article214710830.html

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Valur fell to Rosenborg in the 1st qualifying round for the UEFA Champions League.

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Shame for Valur.

6. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus v. Orlando City

Show Spoiler
    If you don't watch any other non-Rapids match this week, watch Columbus v. Orlando City. It features a very strong GOTY candidate. 'Nuff said.

7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was going to go to the game but the weather was bad ... thunderstorms. Ended up watching on TV instead. Ceus' own goal wasn't that bad (bounced off the post and then onto him). Pretty good/entertaining game. 1111.jpg

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I've watched a fair amount of soccer but this is a first for me.

Santos was defending a one goal lead against Lobos BUAP and Lobos won a free kick just outside the area slightly to their left. Very short distance to get the free kick over the wall.

Just before the kick one of the extra guys in the laid down behind it in case Lobos was going to try to skim one under the leaping wall.

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing another program, this region is seriously lacking in Mens teams (div 1 DU &?, Mines and Ft Lewis are only other programs that come to mind. Had to Look but Univ of Wyoming only has Womens soccer.

22SteveD and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  10. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a tough spot for UNM - tough budget when the football and (men's) basketball teams haven't really been performing well. Pointy-ball isn't my favorite sport, but when it makes money, it makes many of these other sports possible.

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Except that pointy ball costs a lot of money to put on too, so many programs loose money on that sport. I wouldn't be surprised if NM wasn't in that category. In many ways I have reservations about college sports all together, I do wonder if they a financial distraction.

MrPerfectNot, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  12. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree - I think they've been a terrible team, attendance and TV revenue are terrible, so the sport isn't profitable and thus doesn't subsidize other sports. UNM's Athletic Department has a recent history of mis-management and big dollar coach buyouts, which also don't help the bottom line.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totoro repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
  15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If new stadium makes that number 6-8000 there's a reason.

22SteveD repped this.
  16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just watched some Wednesday game highlights at work with no sound. Couldn't tell from highlights, how is Wayne Ronney working out? They lost 1-0, had a goad taken back, I thought harshly, by VAR, for offside. And I gather Wright-Phillips scored his hundredth goal.

Other thought, RedBulls should wear white shirts when playing DC Black. All red verse all black= too darks. We go to DC this weekend.

17. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I never thought I'd see anything that rivaled the Caribou's kits, but now there's this.
    [​IMG]

AlbertCamus, fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Colorado Springs -- Space Force, they want one and probably with an Air Force connection like Dept. of Navy and USMC so it seems a natural.

20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rocky Mountain Oysters. Classic.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in town next weekend - will have to see a bit of this tournament - good luck to FC Boulder.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please keep us updated...would love to get your observations