2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I am not sure that this will work out for Turner or for the UCL fans the way they are handling it. They have essentially
    zero soccer TV experience.
    BTW, who is doing the pbp and analysis for Turner? I don't expect that they will have people at the stadia.

PH

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm not going to purchase the subscription even though my team is playing in the Champions League. It just doesn't have enough value for what they're charging. I also heard they're using the international to feed 4 broadcasters for every match which is probably a good thing.

4. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Based on today's result giving up a 1-0 lead in the last few minutes, your team may not be in the UCL very long so you
    would be right not to get the full season subscription!

Although for the general fan the rate of $80/season is not that high considering the number of games
    available.

PH

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Also the UCL games are on Univision with Spanish commentary, which is OTA in some locations.
    The LFC-PSG match is showing now.

PH

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    AR-2 getting several offside decisions wrong in the LFC-PSG match, but it has evened out so far!

PH

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Anyone want to take a look at the penalty call in Schalke-Porto? I think it may have been no contact at all. I think ref was in position, so may have just been tricked by his angle. Led to a mistaken 1-1 tie.

8. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well I was going to say if it was ESPN+ that be cool. I could also get USL pro games but doesn't sound like it is

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one?

https://streamja.com/PWVl

There's contact. Although you can only see it for certain on the third replay shown in that clip. The question of whether or not it is enough contact to deem it a foul and award a penalty is a different matter. I think I'd put this call in the category of defensible but not ideal. It's a good example of a situation where there probably is no objectively correct answer.

tomek75 repped this.
  10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo red. Apparently for strike/push to the head.

11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ronaldo gets sent off on the advice of the AAR for something that happened off the ball. It looks like he slapped and kicked out at a defender off the ball.

The video isn't clear as to what exactly happened. Something definitely happened, but with how much force you can't really tell. If this was about 6-8 years ago (pre-Busacca) I didn't think anyone would have a problem with the sending off.

Really brave (and maybe unnecessary) decision by Brych.

Let's just say no way is VAR sending that down in the World Cup.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    refinDC, Geko and RedStar91 repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geko repped this.
  15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Brych had an interesting game for sure.

Not only did he give the red card, he also happened to call three penalty kicks. They all look correct.

We're certainly not in Russia anymore and I 100% don't buy the rumor that Brych ignored his VAR to not give a penalty in the Serbia vs. Switzerland.

How can anyone believe he chose to ignore his VAR when watching this match?

16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best angle I've seen. 100% red, no doubt about it.

17. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Did Ronaldo just......scratch him?

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geko and Ghastly Officiating repped this.
  20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He ripped his brains out. I hope the lad is ok.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jdmahoney repped this.
  22. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So has Clattenburg officially replaced Graham "Three Card" Poll as the official referee pundit on the Daily Mail?

Poll hasn't written a column for the Daily Mail since the World Cup?

If so, it's really end of an era. Poll was really the first to kick start the era of "celebrity pundit referee."

23. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Maybe he regrets it.

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No surprise here. The season after next will have VAR for the Europa League too. I'd suspect that we will see the end of the AARs in UEFA and see them switch to the VAR positions. It's going to take a lot of training cover all those CL and EL matches.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

Still not sure about this. UEFA has viewed AARs as a huge success. Given VARs can only correct clearly wrong errors or omissions, there's an argument to be made that AARs can assist with making important decisions that the protocols will not allow VARs to make.

Of course, this is the problem that might prompt the change. Personnel is finite. If the switch is made, it's not a commentary on the AAR system--it's a personnel issue.

Yes. This is what's fascinating to me. How are you going to train an official from San Marino to be a VAR? That's the extreme, but what about countries that regularly send officials to UCL and UEL group stages but won't have VAR for a long time? Like Denmark and Serbia and Switzerland and Slovenia?

Sure, you can easily train the top guys from those countries, but the top guys are the ones you need on the field. So we're talking about making sure, for example, the #4 guy in Hungary is an expert VAR. It is a gargantuan task. Where are the matches available for live trial?

There's already been some speculation, but I think this might be one of the reasons why UEFA looks at a centralized location with multiple VORs and dedicated trained VARs rather than sending the VARs as part of the crew and from the same country. That could probably work for the UCL, where we now have a maximum of 6 games at a time. I have absolutely no idea how you'd pull that off with the UEL, but maybe that's why they want to buy more time there.