2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Not really. APP, per se, has nothing to do with this. APP is purely a VAR concept.

The handling offense requires a player gaining control through inadvertent handling and that player scores or creates a scoring opportunity. So all it really requires is that if there is an inadvertent handling the R tracks what that player does. If that player passes to someone else who subsequently creates the scoring opportunity, the offense has not occurred (even though it was in the APP from a VAR perspective). So we can apply--but in the real world of lower level games we are probably only going to be concerned about in the attacking third where the promising attack comes immediately after the inadvertent handling occurs.

Yes and no. The high level instruction on handling had already twisted the word "deliberate" far from any rational meaning--most of what the new non-deliberate language does is to track the instructions that was going to be given to referees already.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #727 unclesox, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Big moment in Frankfurt v Benfica.
    (39th minute)
    Frankfurt shot from outside the box rebounds off post to Kostic who first-time kicks the rebound into goal.
    Replay shows Kostic was offside when the initial shot was taken. Goal stands
    VAR not used in Europa League, correct?
    Different tournament, I know. But after what happened in a UEFA event one night earlier in Manchester this looks rather ridiculous confusing.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unclesox repped this.
  5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to sit here from my couch and call it easy, but it's a really bad miss. I can only imagine he got tunnel vision on the player in the center of the penalty area for a possible interfering with the GK decision

YoungRef87 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could the player at the other end of the penalty area also have screened off his vision of the goalscorer?

refinDC and frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    From a laws perspective it is an easy call, but it's unusual to have 3 or 4 OSP players, and he is looking through 1 or 2 to see the one who ultimately scored--and who was the least likely to get involved at the time the ball was played.

(I say 3 or 4 because the 1 in the middle is close--and a more likely candidate to get involved than the ultimate scorer, which was probably attracting his attention.

I'd sure like to see him get this call, but I'm not ready to call it a bad miss with all that was going on in that moment and the location of the goal scorer.

8. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    #733 El Rayo Californiano, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Black #4 is on, held on by the defender whose hand shoots up asking for offside. The play provides for a potential give-and-go/wall pass between Black #4 and his teammate, who chooses to shoot.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, Frankfurt progressed and Benfica is out. If you don’t think there are deep-pocketed interested parties upset that Joao Felix isn’t playing in a European semifinal because UEFA didn’t put VAR in, you’re kidding yourself.

10. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Oh, there’s PAR on every one of my games now. Parent assistant refs, and they have their video!

RefGil repped this.
  11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

upload_2019-4-20_12-55-28.png

This is from the official UEFA channel. So I'm assuming the Brych and the VAR looked at this clip. You can clearly see that Man U defender makes contact with Rakitic's ankle first and then gets a touch of the ball.

I watched this clip like 20 times to see if my eyes are deceiving but it is pretty clear that he makes contact with Rakitic first and then gets the ball.

Maybe they deemed the contact he did make to be insufficient and normal contact for that level?

celito repped this.
  12. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #737 refontherun, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    I just watched the QF Man City v Tottenham. On the final City goal Erikson (Tot) played the ball back toward his own goal. It looked deliberate to me. The ball deflected from the outstreched shin of Bernardo Silva (MC), landing at the feet of Sergio Aguero who was a half step offside. The AR didn't flag it, but the VAR called the goal off for offside.

This all happened in added time with the aggregate score at 4-4 with Tottenham having an away goal and going through to the semis. That final goal would've made the aggregate 5-4 Man City. I say good goal and Man City goes through. I'm interested in others' thoughts. BTW, not really a fan of either team .

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was discussed above. The deflection criteria doesn't apply to attackers. Every touch of the ball is used to determine offside. Silva touched the ball and Aguero was in an offside position when he did touch it.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Liga appointments for the weekend are out. No Mateu Lahoz and no Hernandez Hernandez. That’s a pretty decent hint that they are the Referee-VAR duo for Tottenham v Ajax. You don’t bench two of your best referees this late in the season if you can afford not to do so. And that match is Tuesday, which means they can’t work Sunday if they are on it.

If that’s true, it would make Kuipers near certain for the other match.

Cakir for a second leg.

Then Rocchi v Brych v Skomina for the other second leg. If it’s Brych, that likely means Skomina on UCL final and Rocchi on UEL final. If it’s Skomina, Rocchi has the UCL Final. And if it’s Rocchi, that means UEFA was really not happy with Brych in his QF (and the UEL Final is wide open; maybe Turpin, but maybe Cakir).

IASocFan and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I really can't figure out how this one got called back. Definitely would be good to know what angles the ref had to review. One of the TV replays IMO showed the PK clearly.

16. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    The Spanish first division will squeeze in two rounds of league competition between Tuesday and Monday. Full assignments here (see Jornadas 34 and 35). Mateu Lahoz will have VAR duty Tuesday, April 23 and then nothing after that. Hernandez Hernandez will center on Wednesday, April 24 and then nothing after that.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we don't have a French league thread, I thought I'd put this link here. Stephanie Frappart will be the first woman to referee a Ligue 1 match ahead of her appearances at the WWC this summer. She'll have Turpin has her VAR for the match.

https://www.dutchreferee.com/stephanie-frappart-referee/

YoungRef87 and balu repped this.
  18. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I don't see how Turpin gets the EL final so soon. Similarly, Skomina, at 42, has a few more years to get the UCL final. For this reason, I'm rooting for Rocchi (who is 45)

One clue - if we don't see Lahoz on Tottenham-Ajax, it could be UEFA is saving him for a final without Barcelona. My predictions, for what they're worth:

UCL:

TOT-AJAX Lahoz (Hernandez Hernandez) & Skomina (Makkelie)
    BAR-LIV Kuipers (Makkelie) & Cakir (Irrati)

FINAL ROCCHI (IRRATI)

UEL:

ARS-VAL Brych & Marciniak
    EIN-CHE Turpin & Del Cerro Grande

FINAL CAKIR (MAKKELIE)

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Bleeckere always had a few more years, too! No time like the present.

I’d flip Skomina with Rocchi. And I’d get Hategan into UEL over Marciniak. Maybe—maybe!—Collum over Cerro Grande.

Otherwise I’m in agreement.

Of course, the desire to get Rocchi a final could win out...

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait sorry, I don’t! Makkelie will get a UEL middle. I didn’t think that through. Before Collum or Cerro Grande, I would think.

21. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Do you think Marciniak is done for the season?

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. But I’ve been wrong—a lot—before.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So after being a bit all over the place above, here are my predictions/hope:

TOT-AJAX Lahoz (Hernandez Hernandez) & Rocchi (Irrati)
    BAR-LIV Kuipers (Makkelie) & Cakir (Turpin)

FINAL Skomina (Irrati)

UEL:

ARS-VAL Brych & Hategan
    EIN-CHE Turpin & Makkelie

FINAL Cakir (Makkelie)

I am assuming Ajax advances to the Final, otherwise I'd swap the two VARs on the Final. Makkelie is actually in a very weird spot. He's clearly good enough to get a UEL semifinal. But he's also one of only two VARs, I believe, who has been paired with colleagues from other nations who do not have qualified home VARs (Skomina and Cakir) and those two referees are almost certainly likely to work again. So Makkelie could be stretched thin. I am taking a gamble and saying Turpin could serve as Cakir's VAR on leg 2 in Liverpool, but there's really not evidence to suggest that (he just seems like a natural option if Irrati and Makkelie are both busy).

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, @fischietto , Makkelie cannot be VAR on the Ajax semifinal!

fischietto repped this.
  25. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    OOPS Hahaha, I think I came up with that after my second glass of wine! I agree with your inclusion of Hategan, he’s been better than Marciniak.