2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Cakir Is the man. Why I asked if he was likely for a semi.

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that. I didn't know it.

The VAR decision was so fast I suspected I must be mistaken.

3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As noted, this becomes law next year.

Even if this was next year, I still would have a hard time overturning the goal call. This is the classic example of what simply is not "clear and obvious". I'm fine with not overturning a call like this, because it's just not conclusive on the replay.

In my opinion, VAR is not meant to overturn a play like this. I want to see obvious handlings not called overturned, but this one (yes, I'm a Tottenham fan, but I'd be saying the exact same thing if this was Aguero and not Lloriente) should not be overturned regardless of the call on the field.

SccrDon repped this.
  4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One of the replays looked fairly obvious to me. But I will have to re-check.

5. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    On a side note regarding the possible handling, why is it that we don't have something like 24 8K high speed cameras on both ends of the pitch? It seems like something that'll have to get better, I've noticed especially in MLS games that the angles and quality of the replays are very lacking.

6. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    cost...and cost..and cost.

7. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    But they have all the money in the world!

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they needed was a HD infrared camera to show the temporary change of temperate on Llorente's forearm like they have in cricket. :)

9. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Even though the Law change would not have been in effect until next year, I suspect if it was shown that the ball clearly hit Llorente's arm, I suspect that Cakir would have disallowed.

Cakir's reaction basically said it all. Like "I can't disallow it if I'm not sure it actually hit his arm."

RefIADad repped this.
  10. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Does anyone have a video of the VAR offside call? I’m looking and can’t find anything

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. I think the camera angle looking through the back of the goal appeared to show the double touch, but it's still not definitive. I think the ball probably hit his arm, but nothing clearly showed that it did.

12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The offside call was obviously correct, but VAR just destroys the emotion of the sport. More of a philosophical thing than anything, but I don't think the price of getting it "correct" is worth moments like that taken away. But there is no going back.

Essentially Man City's "Aguero!!!!" moment in the CL taken away.

Ickshter repped this.
  13. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    As a neutral, that was one of the most amazing games I’ve ever witnessed in any sport. And if I haven’t been all in for cakir in the past, he was perfect for this one.

akindc repped this.
  14. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I know Cakir disallowed a incidental handling on a Neymar goal, but that was before VAR. I don't believe he would just ignore the wording of the Law and make up his own.

15. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://streamable.com/en09v

And here's my image with the lines added.

[​IMG]

17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I’m even sold less after viewing the video. I think that is a deflection from Ericsson and not a deliberate play (pass) from the city player to aguero.

18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So Final Four set.

I don't see how it is anyone but Cakir on the second leg of Barcelona vs. Liverpool at Anfield. That game might be bigger than the Final with Ajax and Tottenham on the other side if the first leg is competitive at all.

Kuipers only chance now is on the first leg of Barcelona vs. Liverpool.

So Rocchi and Brych for Tottenham vs. Ajax (can German referees referee Dutch teams?)

Maybe Lahoz in place of Rocchi or Brych for one of the Ajax vs. Tottenham legs.

Now that I think about it, I think Kuipers might be done in the CL. It's just a lot easier and less messy to put Rocchi and Cakir on Barcelona vs. Liverpool and then put Lahoz and Brych (or swap Brych and Rocchi on semifinals).

Not using Kuipers allows UEFA to use a Spanish referee.

19. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You do know the Law right? Any touch by an attacking player deliberate or not, resets offside. The moment the ball touches SIlva's thigh, that becomes the new snapshot.

20. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I really like Lahoz in the La Liga, I do not like him in the CL. He can make things more exciting and he produces an event in La Liga. In the CL, a calmer more judicious touch is best.

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  21. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    That’s not the law. Any touch by attacker counts when determining OS

22. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I had A brain fart. I forgot with an attacker....

23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not using Kuipers prevents you from using the referee best-suited for that match.

You could be right. I could be wrong. But this is a classic test of whether or not politics matter more than referee performance and pedigree.

Barcelona-Liverpool scream for Kuipers and Cakir and they are both available. If getting Mateu Lahoz on a match is a priority over using Kuipers, then the calculus obviously changes per your post. I just hope that’s not the case.

The only variable I see now is if Rocchi gets the Final and therefore Skomina gets one of the Barcelona-Liverpool matches. But from the assignments so far, that does not appear to be the plan.

24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve never met Cakir, but even when the replay was ambiguous I had confidence he would go by current Law and not the upcoming change. He’d have questions to answer either way, but I think on top of “well it’s impossible to tell” he’d be the first referee to fall back on the actual rules.

All that said, let’s pause for a moment and realize how bad this rule change is going to be, particularly in the VAR age. Literally nothing changes and next year that’s no goal and City goes to the semis. Why? Is anyone saying it’s some massive injustice that a ball hit a guy’s hand that was flush against his hip and bounced into the net? Everyone in power wants to streamline things to make them more objective but that’s not only going to result in non offences suddenly become offences, it’s also going to lead to some long reviews as officials look for forensic evidence because ANY touch will be clearly wrong. I don’t think enough stakeholders understand where this is going.

SccrDon, RefIADad and RedStar91 repped this.
  25. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018