2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think it makes sense to ditch AARs. It's not going to be there at the Final tournament. I think pretty much every league that was using them (Italy was, I think, the only major one) has scrapped them for VAR.

It's done in the CL, was never used in the group stages of the Europa League (I think?) and never really caught in with FIFA tournaments.

If you're going to use AARs you also have to develop training and develop sessions on best practices at UEFA referee seminars. Seems a lot of work for a system that is, for all intents and purposes, finished at the highest levels.

The EURO qualifying is nice starting for a clean break from AARs by UEFA.

Now watch there be an Henry or Maradona type handling incident occur this weekend...

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I wonder what the legacy of AARs will be. UEFA tried really hard for the system to catch on but the public never really bought it.

One of the big issues was the sheer human strain of having to have two more qualified referees on every match and the trickle down effect it would have on domestic leagues trying to implement it. An extra 20 referees for every match day which means you're short 20 referees for your second and third tier league matches and so forth...

I think the real big issue, especially at the beginning, was that there never was a big decision in a big match that you could say "AAR saved the day there" and would gain the public's approval. No Henry or Maradona hand ball that AAR caught. No blatant penalty kick that we all could point to as saying that AAR made that call. No goal line call.

In fact the decision that was probably the beginning of the end for AARs was the no goal in the England vs. Ukraine match in Euro 2012. AAR was looking right at the play and didn't award the goal.

Instead all we ever got was people saying "what are those guys with the sticks behind the goals doing?".

3. ???????

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be why I think it makes no sense. If the worst thing you could call AARs was a wasteful insurance policy, they were still an insurance policy. Ditching them once you have seemingly better coverage (VAR) is understandable. Going without insurance for an entire qualifying campaign (when you've had that insurance for 11 years now) just because it's a good time to make a "clean break" defies logic for me.

5. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    I think, in truth, that with the advent of VAR - albeit with limited coverage - that UEFA simply took the opportunity to pull the switch on a system that they had been quietly trying to find a way to diplomatically end for some time now. The reality is that very few people within the member associations of UEFA liked the system - not the Associations themselves, not the spectators, not the players, and certainly not the officials.

There were many reasons for this, of course, but I think in the end the UEFA hierarchy accepted the inevitable that is was better to ditch a tremendously unpopular system and devote their energies into pushing for wider implementation of VAR. Being pragmatic, it is probably easier to try and get wider adoption of VAR (notwithstanding the financial and logistical issues that some countries will never be able to resolve) at a time when you have been seen to remove a burden (AARs) that no one wanted, than it would be to push for VAR while still insisting on using a system that no one wanted.

AARs served a purpose - and did, in fact, have a positive impact on a significant number of decisions that did not necessarily make it into the public domain - but without acceptance from its key exponents (the Referees) it was never going to be a long-term solution.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes sense to me. I still think it's a big risk to take, but this is the perspective that I was looking for.

Any chance you can talk more about the referees disliking the system? I know they changed the AARs to the non-referee diagonal at the urging of referees. But I hadn't heard of widespread discontent with the system itself. Now, I totally understand why there might be some discontent (I think you can find posts from me a decade ago arguing about how the system would naturally conflict with egos) but I never heard anything other than positive remarks from referees in glossy UEFA productions that apparently were just glorified hostage videos?

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notable EURO 2020 assignments, by the way...

21-March
    Netherlands : Belarus - MASSA (ITA)
    Slovakia : Hungary - BEZBORODOV (RUS)
    Austria : Poland - SIDIROPOULOS (GRE)
    Israel : Slovenia - LOPES MARTINS (POR)
    Kazakhstan : Scotland - JOVANOVIC (SRB)
    Belgium : Russia - HATEGAN (ROU)

22-March
    Bulgaria : Montenegro - BUQUET (FRA)
    England : Czech Republic - SOARES DIAS (POR)
    Portugal : Ukraine - TURPIN (FRA)
    Albania : Turkey - STIELER (GER)

23-March
    Sweden : Romania - OLIVER (ENG)
    Spain : Norway - TREIMANIS (LVA)
    Bosnia Herzegovina : Armenia - KEHLET (DEN)
    Italy : Finland - GRINFIELD (ISR)

Interesting that you don't see any names, other than Turpin, who might take charge of UCL QFs. There is another matchday to come for the 24-26th, so maybe those names will fill in there.

It's also hard to determine which games are truly notable, since the top two in a group qualify and the third place team could go to the playoff (so, for example, in the grand scheme of things Bulgaria-Montenegro might end up being far more important than England-Czech Republic, which are all in the same group).

That said... Kehlet and Jovanovic are supposed to be names to watch. Italy needs to figure out its EURO 2020 referee, so critical start for Massa. Also, someone like Treimanis could sneak in to EURO 2020 if he really performs over the next year.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continuing the 24-March...

Wales : Slovakia - ZWAYER (GER)
    Kazakhstan : Russia - VINCIC (SVN)
    Hungary : Croatia - COLLUM (SCO)
    Israel : Austria - ARANOVS'KYY (UKR)
    Northern Ireland : Belarus - RACZKOWSKI (POL)
    Netherlands : Germany - GIL MANZANO (ESP)
    Poland : Latvia - AGAYEV (AZE)

Big match for Gil Manzano, Mateu Lahoz is not aged-out for EURO 2020, so there seems to be a very good chance that Spain will send two referees, a la Clattenburg-Atkinson. I would imagine Kuipers-Makkelie also have a very good shot of both going as whistles. Oliver-Taylor less so, but also possible. If Brych sticks around to go again, I don't think Zwayer would go with him. Same for Skomina and Vincic.

Aronovs'kyy is a name I have not heard, but that's not a small match given both teams probably think they have a chance at qualifying. Agayev is a name I've heard and he is allegedly impressive; could see him in UCL in the next couple years if he performs well.

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bulgaria were just awarded a penalty for a foul that clearly looked to have taken place outside the area.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://streamable.com/qfe7y

So it took exactly one matchday for there to be a match critical incident that an AAR would have nailed. The AAR literally would have been perpendicular to the penalty area boundary there. Solid move by UEFA!

Those are 2 points lost for Montenegro, which very well could be the difference for qualification. Away points among Montenegro, Bulgaria and Czech Republic are likely going to be critical in that group.

unclesox repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I agree the AAR would have nailed that, but even without an AAR that seems to me to be a call that the ref team should have got right. Both feet are well out of the PA when the contact occurs from the other side from the PA. Unfortunately we don't see where the R is in the clip.

12. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does anyone know where the referee was positioned to have missed that?

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea how the crew could have missed that one. Even the fourth official could have had a good enough view to tell the center (assuming he wasn't looking off the ball or dealing with a bench) that the foul wasn't in the area.

This is a bad, bad miss by the crew.

14. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Zwayer ended Wales-Slovakia after the ball went out for a Slovakia corner, but before the corner was taken. He got the same reaction most of us get when that happens. He carded one of the Slovakian players and that ended the “discussion”.

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    h

I thought they’d started blowing up as the ball next crosses the half way line ??

IASocFan repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    frankieboylampard repped this.
  17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #567 MassachusettsRef, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Same match and later, however, this is a mess:

https://streamable.com/5s1b8

As I say that, I've got to admit it's also probably technically the right call in a classroom the way handling is currently interpreted. I just don't understand how an AR could confidently say "no penalty" here given other situations where ARs would never step in.

Edit to add that the restart is entirely incorrect and completely unjust. If you're going to overturn this penalty--and that's a big if--it needs to be a corner kick. The whistle went long after the ball was out of play and changing a corner kick to a dropped ball (to the goalkeeper) simply because the referee initially thought it was a penalty is very, very wrong.

18. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    He was upset that he didn't get red.

19. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Oof. What’s so wrong with that being a penalty? That arm is flailing! Regardless of the close distance

20. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    I've got to admit I must need to get back to the classroom. Granted, my eyes could have missed it in realtime as an AR, but the first part of the clip it appeared his arm was raised to 90* as the attacker went to head it... arm to ball, made himself bigger, in the PA...

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball glanced off his head first, which in UEFA's eyes almost certainly negates the handling. Notice that even the player knew what to argue, as he pointed toward his head. UEFA has drilled into teams and players that if the ball comes off the player's own body first and contact with the arm is consequently from a short distance and unavoidable, it is not handling.

Look at the still photo here: https://www.b92.net/sport/fudbal/vesti.php?yyyy=2019&mm=03&dd=25&nav_id=1522371

Now, could one argue that the arm was still in an unnatural position and therefore this is handling? Maybe. I mean if the arm was raised above the head, it would be a no-brainer even with a deflection, so there's a level of subjectivity that still should be here. But UEFA has erred on giving defender's the benefit of the doubt in these situations. As has FIFA, actually. Remember Cakir didn't award the penalty in the Nigeria match in the WC because of a self-deflection. So, in a classroom, I have a high degree of confidence that UEFA would say this is not a penalty. Whether they want it overturned by an AR from 40 yards away is another question. And they definitely don't want a dropped ball after that happens.

Aren't you glad governing bodies are solving all the controversy over handling?

22. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    My mistake. On first glance I didn’t notice it came off the head first. I thought it hit the arm directly.

Completely agree with your point about self deflection.

EDIT: Maybe I’m grasping at straws ... but if the audio on the video is off even by a second, drop ball would be the correct restart. Trying to find a way to defend the decision.

23. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    oh, I missed seeing the head glance... focused on the handling instead of seeing "it all". Appreciate your thorough explanations as always.

24. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea I was surprised the AR got involved here but he did have the best angle to see the deflection so... And the CR looked like he thought it was an easy change after the AR's input.

The re-start is obviously bonkers though. :)

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't really the story here. 7:28 in this compilation:

https://streamable.com/0szcu?fbclid=IwAR0mS1URlxJBgIQWI-dF_ehinMGyaRsp5wri9EJZ9IxxBhIQq9D3eXFyOsY

Slovakia wanted the DFK for handling from 19 yards out (and I imagine a few probably wrongly thought it could have been a penalty). I'm sure they wouldn't have loved the referee taking away a corner either, but the dissent is clearly in reaction to the lack of the DFK, which would have been a massive chance to tie the match.

Note that #9 had been booked for dissent two minutes earlier. Zwayer took the easy way out by booking #19 for dissent instead and, to be fair, #19 did the professional thing and made sure he gave Zwayer an easy way out.