2018/2019 Transfer Thread - I Have No Clever Title

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, May 22, 2018.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we make top 4 this season unless Lucas and Lamela just absolutely explode. Our CMs worry me the most.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not doing any deals in the transfer window is a bit daring in itself, isn't it? No other team is trying it.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I apologize for continuing to be in your thread but until all windows are closed I’m not convinced Grealish won’t leave Villa.

Might Tottenham be thinking they can get to January and then make changes? Or is that too risky?

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You assume a lot that it was bad. IMO, every year nearly every team starts with many prime players on the bench as many national teams have camps and summer tournaments. Furthermore, most big squads tour all over the world building up their international following for $$$. This is tiring for the players, on all the top teams.

Mere action for action's sake is a bad move. If the team couldn't obtain players that would improve the team at prices that are reasonable in the market, then the team made the right decision. Do not mortgage the future.

Levy sent the signal that 'if you are not willing to do a reasonable deal, I am strong enough to walk away from the table. Now, you don't have the money you expected to get from me, nor the money you could have actually gotten from me. When we sit at the table next time, I expect you'll treat me with more respect.'

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's all guessing, of course, but I'm thinking it might be more a case of this being 'the next time' and folks having already adjusted to doing business with our Dan.

Weeks ago United were saying "we'd love Alderweireld, but it's not worth it dealing with Levy". It wasn't a ploy, turns out.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    On a positive note, we kept Toby, Mousa and Rose, and now that the window is closed, we won't have the distraction of rumours and speculation to deal with for the first month of the season.

However, this window will not be without consequences. Every big club around will have taken note of our non-activity and will be convinced that we are in a weaker state because of the new stadium.

8. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lamela, Lucas, Alderweireld, Rose, Winks, even Carter-Vickers. All were virtually irrelevant last season, no reason why they shouldn't be more involved and influential this time round.

Wanyama and Llorente had poor seasons, no reason why they shouldn't step up; both are very decent players.

We had a strong team and a weak squad. By not selling Alderweireld and Rose, we've had a good transfer window on one condition - if there is a weakness identified (maybe Mousa's fitness?) over the first half of the season, it gets fixed in January.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It is only closed for English teams buying. It’s unlikely Levy would sanction a sale without the ability to buy a replacement, but if PSG comes along and offers £60m for Toby he’ll be gone. Rose could also still head off to Germany.

The relative success of this window won’t be known until the end of the month.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder after this game at Man U if Alderweireld is now thinking... "You know, staying at Spurs is a pretty good idea. Those jokers at Man U don't know what they are doing. "

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Man U looks like they could use a good center back, that's for sure.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If they come in with an offer of 300,000 quid a week, he won't care if they are playing in the Isthmian League. Amazing that Alexis Sanchez is making 391,000 pound a week and Flu-Boy Ozil, 350,000.

13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    South Korea wins 2-1 AET, not exactly a new signing. Bit nervy at the end there when Japan were through on goal moments after conceding.

14. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not a new signing, but keeps Son around for the length of his contract, which otherwise was very much in doubt

15. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #10 for Japan looks to be decent. Don't know his name but he showed well.

16. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    January approaching, we're in decent shape but not quite there at the top. Thoughts for a January window, or possibly for the summer?

A bit of a left field thought from me. Dembele, still love that guy but too many times this season we're having to pick someone else. Sissoko isn't a long term solution, Winks very much looks like it but we need more than just him and Dier.

So in terms of two-way midfielders; strong, elegant on the ball, defensively sound but linking things up further forward. Reuben Loftus-Cheek. Well, they don't seem to have a use for him.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #117 Golara, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    There is no way Chelski will sell us any of their players - Abramovich and Levy absolutely despise each other since Levy refused to sell them Modric and Chelski swooped in and signed Willian from under our noses.

A guy we should be looking at is Doucoure of Watford, he seems to me a perfect Poch player. Big energy, can score the odd goal and the perfect replacement for a Dembele/Wanyama.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We do need reinforcements in midfield and central defence. I was watching a PL discussion show and the pundits were talking about Liverpool and who their best 3 were in central midfield and it was scary to see the wealth of options Klopp has (Henderson, Milner, Keita, Fabinho, Shakiri, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain).

We have Dier, Dembele and Wanyama, 2 of whom are constantly injured. Sissoko and Winks are stop-gaps in those positions.

I had a go at the manager for not making any changes until the game was out of reach Sunday, but when you look at our bench, who could he have brought on? Moura is a like for like for Son and our only option in midfield was Winks. Emery was able to bring on Lacazette and Ramsey at HT and Ozil was not even in the squad.

There is only so much Poch can do with this squad. Daniel Levy has to step up and deliver for the gaffer.

soccernutter repped this.
  19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Chelski signed Christian Pulisic from Dortmund for 58 million pounds and will loan him back to the Bundesliga club for the rest of the season. That is the difference between us and the other clubs in the top 6 - they sign players like that, while we haggle with Aston Villa over Jack Grealish.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs exercised their option to extend Toby Alderweireld's contract to 2020. However, there is a 25 mil pound release clause that can be activated this summer so we are most likely to lose him unless he signs an extension, which looks doubtful.

The reason why they activated the clause now was to buy time and prevent teams from negotiating with him starting this month, which would have been a major distraction to the team.

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not only does that fee separate us from the rest of the top 6 - it's also the fact that £58m is a bargain for a player of Pulisic's potential. Whereas, for us, it would be a club record and we'd have to sell someone to offset that money.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The Arsenal were the frontrunners to sign him (their director of football signed him when he was at Dortmund), but they had their typical cheap bid of 35 mil rejected which paved the way for Chelski.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that is would also be a record for Arsenal. It's also t-2nd highest for Chelsea. True silly money is really only being thrown around by a hand full of teams: ManU, Man City, R Madrid, Barca, and PSG. Perhaps Liverpool are getting there, but we'll have to see if it is sustained. The real difference is wages. Even of Spurs had bid the £58m, there is no way the wages offered would be comparable to what Chelsea are willing to offer.

Golara repped this.
  24. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I get all that but if you want to reach the next level, these are the prices you have to pay. That doesn't mean you have to spend that kind of money every window. It just means that every other window or so, you have to flex your muscles, relative to what your ambitions are, and give the squad a lift.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't completely disagree, but as I said, the biggest issue I think is the wage structure. Spurs have a lot to offer - top of the EPL, on the edge of wining; consistent CL and CL advancement; attractive football; a shiny new stadium (coming very, very soon). It is the wages which are the issue, top level players knowing they can get more elsewhere.