2018/2019 Transfer Thread - I Have No Clever Title

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, May 22, 2018.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, 3 weeks before Levy picks up the phone, right?

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We'll leave this to last minute as usual...sigh

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Amidst the lack of movement I have to keep in mind Pochettino signed a new deal after he made it clear he wanted ambition from Levy. Either the roster situation is well under control or things We’re moving in to a brand new stadium just in time for a return to Tottenham mediocrity.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It will be a tough beginning of the season for us. I think in the end our players combined for 13 goals (the most of any one club), we had the Golden Boot winner and the World Cup winning captain, Hugo Lloris, who becomes only the 2nd Spurs player to play in a World Cup winning side (Jimmy Greaves being the other).

Which is a testament to how much Poch has transformed the club and the quality of players we have. However it all comes at a price. With Son now selected for the Asian Games (and let's hope that Korea win the tournament or we will lose him for 2 years when his military service kicks in in 2019), we are going to start the season with a massive part of our squad just coming back from holidays or not available.

Poch made it clear throughout the season that he wanted all his signings taken care of early so he would have time to be get them prepared for the season. Looks like that was just wishful thinking, as it is more likely we are in for the usual rash of last-minute signings.

5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we may be working hard to get signings but we are being priced out for many.

Concerned as well since most of our squad will be unavailable. I think we see something like this:

------------------------------Llorente--------------------------
    ----Lamela-------------Eriksen--------------------Lucas---
    ------------------Winks----------Wanyama----------------
    Davies--------CVS-------------Sanchez---------Aurier
    -----------------------------Lloris------------------------------

*not loving parts of it...

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Greaves didn't play in 1966. But Lloris is the second Spurs player in a final... the other wasn't a winner though.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #57 pookspur, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    greaves played in the '66 world cup - he just wasn't in the final.

working on the other one … van der vaart came to us on dealine day in '10, right? so he wouldn't have been ours at the time of the final, no?

… still thinking …

edit: Freund wasn't on Germany's '02 squad, was he? surely not.

edit: I am completely blanking on this [it's not Freund - I looked it up]. it couldn't have been back before '78 could it? we didn't really have foreign players back then (save Scotland, Wales, and the Irelands, who never made a final). I give up.

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The signing season after World Cups is always overpriced. It may be best for the long term health of the team to wait for the January window.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Adiles and Villa were part of the Argentina team in 78 but they were not Spurs players at that time.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Christian Ziege, 2002

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    duh.

on my death bed, I am going to wish for the time back that I spent trying to figure that out. when I asked myself "did chimbonda come on as a sub in the final for France in '06?" I knew I'd invested a little too heavily in finding the answer.

12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Three weeks to go. Team has a pre-season match in America in 6 days.

It’s darkly amusing Levy has managed to make acquiring Grealish a more drawn out process than Juventus signing Ronaldo. No disrespect to Grealish, but it seems he’d likely be an understudy to Eriksen and maybe an option for injuries to Lamela. Make an offer, counter and move on.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think if we are going to go to the next level, the fact we are talking about signing a player like Grealish is not very promising. This is classic Levy, he knows Villa have financial issues, so he is going to wait to the last minute to try to squeeze out the best fee.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    my understanding is that it* is not down to us so much as Villa. they have very real and complex financial concerns, and it's them who have to have their dominoes fall in exactly the right order. so public knowledge of having our $Xm in the bank would affect the other things that Villa are trying - and needing - to get done.

or something like that.

I've heard to that effect from someone at Wednesday who's tight with some at Aston Villa. it's hardly ITK, and could be all nonsense; but the fact that it's coming from their end - and not Spurs - gives it a slightly different resonance.

*the Grealish deal dragging on.

15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Locked down Sonny and Lamela … that’s something

Funkfoot repped this.
  16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    So it’s us & Burnley without a signing thus far. Wonder who breaks first.

17. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We’ll be probably the winner of this

18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
  19. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    0 or infinity, you know...

20. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    The new owners are saying Grealish won't be leaving...which is code for "for the right price you could have him tomorrow".

Don't disagree he won't be starting but neither did Milner, Young or Delph when they left for more $$. ( but they still left)

Benteke left to start and look how that turned out.

Grealish has strengthened his lower body a bit and is perhaps a tad more durable but would be better served coming off the bench...fans will like the bits of creativity and the occasional start for a cup game or break between UCL games for the starters.

On the wrong team he will be useless, on a team that likes to attack and has some good defensive mf he can be useful.

pookspur repped this.
  21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ITK (Trix) on SC saying that Grealish is done. 'Done' not being completed, but rather 'not going to happen'. It's not on the cards.

I'm quite alright with that - assuming it's true … which one can't. I'd drop some thoughts here about how we could use him, and who would have to go to make room for him, but the salient point is that as long as Alderweireld remains on the books, we've filled our quota of toolkit haircuts.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If rumours about Jack Grealish are our best bet for a signing, we are in bigger trouble than I thought.

23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Certainly not for the money Villa wanted.

24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    10 days left. Can’t quite reconcile Pochettino’s call for the club to be brave in the transfer window, with his signing a new contract and yet zero new signings. No new Eriksen deal, no new Ali deal.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007