News: 2018-2019 offseason discussion catch all thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by AcetheTigah, Oct 30, 2018.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    That 6MM buyout was more than our whole team salary! SMH on so many levels....

2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 feet still might be too close.

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    On a free with funny money? Of course you take GDS. it’s either this or another Honduran.

C’mon now, we’re the Dynamo not Barcelona. He would be an upgrade at several positions and he’s not as a big as a headcase as some MLS fans make him out to be.

This is a GDS that still wants Mexico callups whether they be A, B or C team.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'd be disinterested. On 2016 maybe. Not even a full slate of games and 14G 12A. But 2017 and 2018 you're talking about less production than our frontline -- 6 goals, like what Manotas did as a baby -- for a multiple of the money. And he played less than half the games last season. Which wanders into the AJ/Leonardo downside. He is 29 and has been playing professionally since 2006, ie, as long as we've had a team. To me when a Michael Owen or Michael Bradley starts early they also tend to be done early.

We tend to think maybe we're getting the 2016 guy cheap when we instead overpay for the 2018 guy. Father time is undefeated.

Just Say No To LA Leftovers.

6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who is he starting ahead of? He's nearly 30, he's been pretty atrocious the past two seasons and his contract is for $6 mil (which prices him out of the Dynamo anyway). Don't see him as a fit for the way tgit team plays, and to be honest based on the past two seasons not convinced he'd start ahead of anybody in the current front 3.

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a free? His contract is for $6m/yr. Plus, at any salary he is still GDS — a player deeply flawed who has failed at every club he has been at. Not a coincidence. Skill and talent are only 10% of a player at this level.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don, although you erroneously think you know everything, GDS won’t be $6M to another MLS team. Galaxy are on the hook for his full buyout, only mitigated if he goes thru waivers (MLS HQ call if they want to keep him in the league) then the team willing to take on the highest portion of his salary gets him, but the bid starts at Zero. So he’ll cost some team a DP-level salary but not anywhere near his real cost.

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Hence my funny money reference.

If it was for a transfer fee + real money, I would say “hell naw”. This isn’t the case here.

I also laugh at the flawed player thing. Seriously, we’re the Dynamo. With the exception of Richard Mulroney, I don’t think we’ve ever fielded a player that wasn’t flawed in one way or another.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yikes, is this the same board that continuously trashed Matias Vera and Tomas Martinez? I would ask GDS to play in the middle and make Quioto and Elis do all the running like they do now.

11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Exactly Rey

I could see running twin #6s with Cabezas and OBG or Ceren or Vera
    With GDS as either a winger or an #10 but the success of this would be down to wether or not Cabrera is good enough to get the best out of him.

Another thing - Martinez is never going to get any protection from Referees. GDS - gauranteed every time he falls down we get a call. Why because the league has investment in celebrity / fan favotites that get viewing numbers / clicks / tickets. The league cares not one Iota over some below average journey man.

This organization just doesn’t get how the league has changed

12. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I recognize it would be a gamble. I don’t know if it would work but the people who get paid to steer the club better figure something out - the definition of insanity is bringing the same below average cheap key position players in over and over but expecting a different result.

13. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I will say I think Figueroa is an upgrade over Senderos Leonardo Machado

so far

37 yo will not last all season he will have to be rotated at the minimum

14. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sure, but GDS isn't a particularly good choice to fill in for Vera. And while I'd love to replace Martinez, it isn't a GDS or nothing scenario. I haven't seen anything from GDS over the past couple of years that says he can make those around him look better. If I'm replacing Martinez, I'm going out and finding somebody else. If I'm paying a salary of $6 mil a year, it is going to be on a young South American.

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez, whatever you think of him, is better than GDS.

16. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA!

Good one.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Jordan, is that you???

*rey* repped this.
  18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the better response is: Thomas Martinez has been more productive than Two Saints.

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    2017 - 2018 #s:

Tomas 7 G and 13 A in 3,008 min (27 pts in the old school grading system)
    GDS 9 G and 5 A in in 3,012 min (23 pts)

i will consider any true and even untrue critiques of why we shouldnt acquire GDS. however, i will not accept that Tomas Martinez or any other midfielder on the current roster is miles better than a half-assed Giovanni.

not too mention that most current Dynamo rosterees are fixed players. GDS has shown he can play 4.5 positions adequately for differing amounts of times. with callups, injuries, and suspensions there can be more than enough minutes for everyone.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Sorry but our recent history screams in favor of the value player (Manotas, Elis) and against the overpriced LA player on the downslope (Leonardo, AJ). Last season he had 3G 2A in 10 starts and 14 games. Diminishing stats, expendable to LA, a fellow MLS team. Blinking. Red. Light. Do not be foolish and assume you can buck the trend line. You are not a special snowflake.

Martinez is not what GDS was. Not even close. But that is not the question. Is Martinez better, worse, or equal to what GDS currently IS. On paper the last two years that gets far more complicated. Maybe he is unhappy. Maybe he is breaking down. Unless you diagnose precisely the malady he is not worth the risk because the paper says what it does and he had Ibra to feed.

People have this same confusion in reverse on Beasley. He is what he is now. Not 10 years ago.

You also need someone suited to a fast running counter team, who can keep up and support them. To me he's like Cubo, you could get zip or you could get some production but not really suited to the formation.

Go find a player right side of his career and make that bet instead.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said “miles better?” THough in this case, it may fit. Your own stats show they are similarly productive even while TM toils in an inferior system. The real question is what is between the players ears and their contribution to team intangibles, not skills and talent.

We can all identify players that look good and have good stats and are recognized stars but the teams they are on underperform. GDS is that.

LAG valued him less than Allensandrini. That tells you something.

22. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    UNLESS you could get GDS at a better value - maybe the league 'loans' him at a lower rate (so they would be subsidizing the cost to us) to us to get his value back up before selling him.

In that scenario it would be something of a short term experiment but if he caught fire and worked out like Elis did then you could consider buying him if he wanted to stay.

I mean if we don't think out of the box we won't achieve anything different than getting substandard players.

GDS is technically capable - he has a big part of defeating us in our own stadium in multiple games.

If there is a way to get him at a better value why not try to get him? Of course it would have to be worked out with all parties - he would have to want to be here, pass a physical, expectations and ground rules agreed to with coach and player.

Who knows if this would ever work but the club has to try something fricken different (at least smart and creative) to become more successful!

23. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I would rather have Allesandrini than him as well but he isn't available.

24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    If LA can sign Ibra at $1MM per year on an initial deal than anything is possible. I heard the same think when Dempsey, Altidore, Giovinco, Bradley were signed that they weren't unwisely spending money but they got great seasons and multiple cups out of all that.

Don't limit the possibilities with negative thinking. Find a freakin way to win.