2018-19 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Haha, don't threaten your boss with leverage for a move if you aren't actually wanting to make that move.

Blando13 and mschofield repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ike was worried. he knows he's in the last couple years of his career. He would be fine with the "gets his money" part of that, at least according to him.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And he's playing more than a guy we brought in like Fontas - who makes a lot more than Ike likely ever will.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really don't think that's entirely fair to Fontas. He only has 123 first division apps, but those were in La Liga, and his lower league apps were with Barca B.
    I really hope Ike shows well in Minnesota and gets Fontas money.

5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won't get "Fontas money" but may get closer to "Besler money". If he's not happy in Minnesota, sounds like he has his agent to thank!

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, I hope he gets Fontas money. I mean, I'm not going to offer to make up the difference or anything.

Blando13 repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know why it isn't fair. If I'm in Ike's shoes with years of proven service and they bring some guy at much more than I'll ever get paid, yet I'm the one playing pretty much every day, I might ask for a raise, too.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Clearly, the only thing that went really wrong here was Ike (or more likely, his agent) making his wishes for a raise or a move public. I don't think Vermes would have had much leverage not to negotiate a solid, higher-than-the-cap-hit raise for Ike. But you go and make it public? Only works if you're irreplaceable.

mschofield, kcfooty, BenDover and 2 others repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman's not wrong about the desparation on the part of the Adrian and Manny Show. It's Year 3. We have to make the playoffs this year or it's Major Overhaul time in the Front Office.

Did we overpay for Ike? Absolutely. Cincinnati is partially to blame for that, but so is the "win NOW" directive here in Minnesota.

That being said...THRILLED that Ike is a Loon.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think an argument can be made that you guys didn't overpay, at least not as much as people say.

For example, last year LAFC gave Dallas $500K in allocation AND the #1 spot in the allocation order which you could put a valuation on at least close to $400K
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...r-zimmerman-general-targeted-allocation-money

Then there's the Tim Parker trade where NY sent $500K in allocation and Felipe to Vancouver. I don't think Felipe is a $400K player, but it's at least closer than just the $500K.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...lipe-trade-between-caps-rbny-done-get-details

Now you can argue that Opara isn't on Zimmerman's and Parker's level any more, but I don't think it is AS bad as people have made it out to be.

Bluecat82 and mschofield repped this.
  11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is he on their level, maybe, and I think probably. But, where they have him, and in my mind are more valuable, is that they are both 25. Four years, and that's four years in their prime years, make a big difference. OTOH, as we know with Ike, injury free, he is a smidge better than those two. And, injury free, he should have three seasons left at his peak (I mean, we're counting on Besler).

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You should be. From what I've seen of the Loons, Ike will be able to play to his strengths, and avoid his weaknesses. IMO, more was expected of him in terms of the attack in 2018, which is why he looked to have fallen back a bit from 2017 and DOY level. He seemed tasked to make something happen with the ball at his feet (as did everyone, a la Barca), while in 2017 he seemed more in the mode of getting it to the players who could make something happen. It's one reason Ilie's touches were so far down. Everything had run out of the back through him, now Ike and Besler were looking for the same sorts of magic. The role left him more frequently out of position, led to more errors that put him under pressure, etc. He wasn't bad at it, he was probably good, but he just wasn't great with that role IMO. He's a very good classic CB. He's not a particulalry good version of Pique.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Values are set on a global market. If Ike was that undervalued, he'd have been snapped up. Fontas required more money to bring him in because he's, in the view of the global market, better. PV didn't play him because he arrived in July or August, and Vermes likes to get players fully on board before playing them.
    That said, Ike deserved a raise and I'm glad he got the move that reportedly will lead to a substantial one.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, the age is where it does still look like Minnesota overpaid. But as I said, not as much as everyone is making it out to be.

mschofield repped this.
  15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sort of?

Ike played out of the back a significant amount last season entirely by design of our opponents. Besler, Zusi, and Ilie are all very able to split a line or two with a precise pass, getting the offense started. Ike and Seth less so. Seth just always plays back to Besler, so that leaves Ike as the weakest option to play out. Which is why teams would press Ilie, Besler, and Zusi but not Opara. They tended to make him the low pressure option so he saw a lot of it, which hampered us in possession and attack--and defense, frankly, because he coughed up at least a few goals by dicking around with the ball.

If Fontas has more of Besler's ease on the ball and passing capability, we're going to be significantly harder to press and to stifle. Gotta expect Vermes is banking on that, too.

Blando13, dgb09, kcfooty and 1 other person repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, that's a really good point.
    Do you think that had PVs system allowed Ike to fall back on the the classic CB reflex of boot it long and often Ike would have still been a noticeable weak link?
    IMO, just about every problem we had with him last year stemmed from him pushing into dangerous places and trying risky-ish stuff.
    I happen to believe we will be better with Fontas. I think he showed a coolness and quality on the ball that will very much play to our strengths. he was raised in our system. I do think we almost certainly lose something on set pieces. Ike is still a very good target, and at the very least demands attention.

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, Ike was an upgrade from Collin. AC78 was all about that downfield hoof. And he was terrible about it. Ike was better both dribbling and passing than Collin, but that doesn't mean he is up to the standard of a modern CB--or definitely was not at the level in possession that Pete wanted.

It's really funny seeing reactions to this around the internet. Lots of neutrals or fans of other teams seem perplexed by why we would let our best defender go or why he was paid so much less than Besler. I think the answer to both of those questions is the same and I think we all here know it.

For what it's worth, I don't think Ike minded too much being paid so much less than Besler. I think he's always understood. The hometown hero, club captain, national team regular for years, one club man, etc. It was entirely the arrival (and wages) of Fontas that really riled him up, and not incorrectly so. My thought is that Fontas had better be awesome because his signing really toppled a pretty solid apple cart here.

mschofield repped this.
  18. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure. Maybe it was just me, but every time Ike stubbed his toe and tripped, I held my breath wondering if he was going to get up. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic about his durability. Match-in match-out, he seemed like one more collision from another potentially career-ending injury. And I get that anyone could have a career-ending injury at any time, but with Ike it just *seemed* more probable.

To Ike's credit, he has had remarkable recoveries from some serious injuries, so I can't do anything but applaud his willingness and drive to do the hard work to return to playing shape.

dgb09 and mschofield repped this.
  19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    mschofield repped this.
  24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was most definitely not just you. I like Ike, but I totally get this. Every tough tackle I was cringing and wondering if he'd ever walk again.

dgb09 and BenDover repped this.
  25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm..., what?

kcfooty, mschofield and Anderson11 repped this.