2018-19 Offseason Player Movement Rumors & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Narrative, don't you know.

2. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

touche.

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dare we say "Loonesque"?.....;)

Bluecat82 repped this.
  4. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dare! Dare!

Dead Fingers, TOAzer and Nuke1990 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rebuilding suggests something was built in the first place. No true roster building has gone on in Colorado since 2010.

(The team has acknowledged somewhat circuitously that 2019 is a rebuilding year since they keep talking about being really competitive in 2020)

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What are their assumptions that lead them to the conclusion they'll be competitive in 2020?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope and having to say something to keep their jobs.

(Their logic is that when they can clear Howard and Gashi, our 2 DPs, off our books after this coming season they'll be able to spend that money in a way that will bring in quality players to make us competitive. I have my doubts since this was the same excuse Smith used to explain why we didn't improve the team in 2017, something that was going to be solved by getting the dead weight off our roster last offseason)

POdinCowtown repped this.
  8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    So, going through the rules I think I figured out why FCC went after Victor Ulloa. Now, I could be wrong on this but reading the rules this seems to make sense. According to the current rules teams may spend up to 125k in total on salaries for homegrown players above the senior or reserve minimum (depending on what slot you assign them). Now, FCC isn't going to have any homegrowns next year but Ulloa will retain that designation for them. So they can pay him up to 195,250 next year (70,250 minimum + 125k subsidy) and still keep him on the supplemental roster as far as I can tell. Assuming he gets a 5% raise on the 182,500 from last year he comes in at 191,625. The only question I have is can they do that since he was a senior squad player for FCD. Teams can't move homegrowns from the senior squad to the supplemental/reserve squad unless they are on the senior/reserve minimum. If MLS deems that they are not moving him since he is a new player for them, I think they get to move his salary off the senior budget in exchange for one of the other players they have that are making senior minimum.

Another thing that I noticed from looking at the CBA when I was trying to find next year's minimum is that I think I may be wrong about Ndam. According the CBA a player can not be a reserve player for more than two years. If the team extends the SPA past that they are automatically bumped up to senior minimum. Assuming that NYRB did that and didn't work up a new SPA (which you can do if the player agrees to it) I'm thinking that he is on senior minimum next year and not eligible for the reserve roster. I'm not sure how the expansion draft part plays into it but I feel like he is going to need to go on the supplemental or senior roster instead of the reserve like I thought he was.

Ismitje repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has legs; RSL sent Jamison Olave and others to Colombia over the weekend, and Cano's representatives are reportedly coming to Salt Lake this week.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /wet fart noise

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who was our last consistently reliable goal-scoring #9?

Was it Jeff Cunningham in 2009?

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keegan Rosenberry to Colorado marks the 6th player the Rapids have brought in before Christmas. There have been seasons where we haven't brought 6 players in by the time of the Desert Diamond Cup in February. If we fail this year its going to be on Hudson more than Smith.

14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I agree with this. While the speed in which they are bringing in players has definitely improved, couldn't it be argued that it is Hudson that is driving the change rather than Smith? There's also the issue of the quality of the players that are being brought in and the amount that the Rapids are paying for them. While Hudson certainly has a say in who the players are, the GM is generally the one responsible for the amount of funny money paid. If it comes down to the Rapids paying too much on these players, couldn't that fall on Smith?

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have pretty reliable info that its Smith driving these changes. Quality is significantly higher than what he had as well. You have a point on cost but none of these are yet long-term deals so (unlike Rapids teams of the past) we're not stuck with albatross contracts if these fail Flip side is that we could lose some of these players if they don't want to re-sign of course

16. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Rapids moves do all seem pretty safe in terms of impact this year. I think the only complaint anyone could have is “are they giving up too much?”

JasonMa repped this.
  17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    On the Union side of this trade, I'm assuming that Gaddis has been re-signed considering that Tanner says that it is him and Mbaizo at competing at right back. Gaddis is going to be on 200k+ (unless he is agreeing to a paycut) and Keegan would be due a hefty raise next year. So a combined 200k this year plus an extra 100k next year for a player that may not be in the league next year (unless he signed a new contract in this deal) is a decent enough haul. I'm also not sure he'll fit into the system that we may be playing at times (possible 3 back with fullbacks playing higher up the wings at times) so I think it is a decent enough decision. Now, I'm sure there are people on the Union board screaming bloody murder but I'm not venturing there.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blas Pérez

HailtotheKing repped this.
  19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprisingly so far.............no. Also Keegan is the last of the 2016 Union Draft class to be jettisoned this off-season.

20. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a result we now have two clear first 11 players, two more that could potentially be first 11 regulars, a guy thats essentially Tim Howard's replacement, and a token backup GK.

In exchange we paid with a goalkeeper, a left back we weren't willing to pay for, a draft pick (lol), and $300k of Garberbux. All things considered I don't think we've really given up that much.

JasonMa and cthomer5000 repped this.
  21. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Think you are a bit off on the allocation money. It was 300k in the Rubio deal plus 200k for Rosenberry (150 GAM and 50 TAM) for this year. Plus, I'm thinking you paid to purchase Castillo from Monterrey. In the Revs release it says the trade from Colorado took place after you guys re-signed him and in order to do that you likely needed to pay a fee for him since he was still under contract with Monterrey. You also gave up an international slot for Kamara which have a going rate in a trade of between 150k to 300k. Now, I'm not saying that these moves aren't worth it for you guys, just pointing out you may have paid a bit more than you are thinking you did.

22. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, forgot about the other funny money stuff.

The rumor I've heard is that he was actually signed on a free with no transfer fee, and the Revs are on the hook for his salary.

The value of an international slot to us this year really depends on if any of our current international players expect to have green cards soon, if the club plans to bring in anybody that would take up a slot, or if they still plan to offload any current internationals in the window. Plus there is always still the possibility of trading for more if they're needed. I don't think the Rapids are done offloading players yet.

None of these trades should be looked at in a vacuum obviously. Big picture thorough we at the very least haven't overpaid.

23. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Been a lot of rumors going around that Cruz Azul is after Nico Lodeiro.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got rock solid info that any transfer fee was paid by New England.

25. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States