2018-19 Off Season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter will earn his pay. Through my talks with various UA athletics folks, I have heard many similar stories that go the same route. Of how Caleb would want player X as his top pick. Of course player X would pass up Akron because what kid from Cal-i-forn-ia (for example) would want to come to Ohio? Well Caleb always took up that challenge. He would groom, train, and mentor his second pick into a ********ing star.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  2. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    Buying Milt out from Newell's and giving him a DP contract. Yeah, I am going to say this is our signing until he gets healthy. Makes no sense to go get a LB when we have other needs and have one of the top LBs in the league injured.

3. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Francis hasnt been stellar in his time with Seattle but hes still a serviceable at mininum left back, and if Porter likes what he sees...then maybe he can get what he needs out of Waylon. Hes a player you wont be totally uncomfortable starting for the majority of the season, but given his circumstances, will probably be alright with being the second option once Milton comes back. Were not gonna spend big on an insurance player to replace a DP left back.

Alneri repped this.
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be curious to hear Francis' opinion of playing left back on Seattle's artificial turf versus Mapfre's grass, whether he thinks it affects his game.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might not be as much as you think. The Mapfre surface is quite fast. I know from experience, albeit a few years back.

6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's talking speed, but rather hardness and wear/tear on the joints rather than the softer natural turf.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking more "in game" but you make a good point. I'm sure the years I played indoor on turf did my knees no good. Of course the hardened clay "grass" fields we played on in summer weren't much better.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The thing with Francis is at least when he was here the first time is he's good going forward. If Porter wants a wingback, he's fine. But if defending is the priority, then he's not that strong. He gets caught out of position frequently and isn't especially strong on the ball.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Exactly
    .no comparison to real grass..in any way shape or form..

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new stuff with the "pebbles" was coming in just as I was retiring. The one season I played on it, it was much better.

One of the big problems for the non-pros was that the turf was often laid on old tennis courts, with almost no padding.

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 10 just did a highlight of the supporter summit, complete with video, and said the date of the opener.

And it wasn’t in the sports reporting.

Welcome to engaged, local owners with ties to local media!

12. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than other fake grass. I think I implied that.

Look, when/if you play indoors, there's little you can do to avoid an artificial surface of some kind as an amateur player.

I didn't like it much. but at the time, I didn't want to take the winter off.

14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigStern repped this.
  15. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
  16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So about that tv deal...

I guess no news might be good news in that implies there's more going on than the early reports about FSO stated. Like nailing down radio; specifics about the broadcast teams; an over the air local option (just to make me happy).

Or not. But, um, I'd kinda like to know the details sooner rather than later.

crew2112 repped this.
  17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm telling myself they wanted to wait until next week. Gives them something to extra to announce in the build up to the season opener. I may be reaching a little.

18. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm hoping that they will have a dedicated radio broadcast rather than just simulcasting the TV broadcast.

19. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a tv broadcast for away matches with commentators who are actually in the stadium, instead of in a tv studio in Columbus or Cleveland with piped in stadium audio?

MFRONE repped this.
  20. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh.. every team does that. Along with most networks for UCL, FA Cup, etc.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was considered a scandal for a time in Germany back in the 1970s when Deutsche Welle's English football reporter was discovered to be doing his reports on the then First Division from a studio in Cologne. Some of you older folks may have heard of him: Toby Charles (who also did Soccer Made in Germany). There was, in fact, one episode of SMG where they took you behind the scenes to see how this was done--and in multiple languages. The funny thing was that the example used was a game I'd attended.

I'm pretty sure the Bundesliga broadcasts on Fox are done this way today.

If you go waaaay back, radio broadcasts of baseball games for small town stations were done by a studio host recreating the game from a teletype of the stats. I think that was how Ronald Reagan got his start.

SLSHOT01 and Dan Milton repped this.
  22. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    Back in the day when the Dodgers left Brooklyn for LA, the WLW radio broadcast came from the studio thanks to the teletype. The Reds broadcaster,acting like he was at the game,read the teletype and announced the game. If there was a hit he would hit the mike with a pencil mimicking the sound of the ball hitting the ball. Wait Hoyt,the Red's radio guy, was a great broadcaster. One game the teletype broke down and he announced a record number of foul balls until the teletype came back on line!

23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The offseason will be over once Saturday hits.
    I’m very interested in how we use Pipa and rotate others as we start playing multiple games in a week .

Schedule is one game per week until :
    4/20 Portland @ Columbus
    4/24 DC United @ Columbus
    4/27 Columbus @houston

The next stretch :
    5/4 Columbus @ DC United
    5/8 Galaxy @ Columbus
    5/11 LAFC @ Columbus

Now you can start Pipa on the Saturday games and bring him off the bench vrs DC (4/24) and the Galaxy not sure who else needs to rotate in likely Sauro , the outside backs and the wingers. The fact that they are midweek games without looking at the opponents schedule hopefully they also rest players. I think Trapp, Zardes,Steffen are the only 3 I would play in every game although at what point do we use other keepers to have them prepared for Replacing Steffen? ( also if this is during any International window obviously that would change things)

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Nagbe comes, then that can be solved easily. If he doesn't, I'm concerned what our Plan B will be. Sosa still only shows flashes of nice dribbling, nothing more. Mullins started strong, but has faded Jahn-style. We have a solid starting lineup, depth is iffy though.

crew2112 repped this.
  25. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think the Nagbe move has been called dead but I would certainly take him we do need depth but I’m fine with Sosa playing a few games. Hopefully we will have a agrressive summer in transfers but I’m sure we will after the season for sure because we just need more talent.

Tobias C repped this.