2018-19 Euro Leagues

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow me to introduce you to Newcastle United, my friend.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m in so much ********in pain...Can’t I die in peace?

chr1st repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guys got smoked on the road too. But it was a rather entertaining game.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Holy crap round 6 of the Serie A season is upon us starting today with Internazionale vs Fiorentina at 3pm on ESPN+. Let's then proceed with an abbreviated hangthadj Round 5 Serie A recap!

Roma - Roma is the worst team in Europe. They lost 2-0 to a Bologna team that had failed to score in their first 4 games. They were shut out by their former backup keeper who they sold to Bologna in the mercato for five million dollars. EDF is on the hot seat and probably should be fired. Instead the team went into retiro at the training ground and were not allowed to see their families and had their phones taken away. They play Frosinone and Lazio this week. Everything is awful.

Juventus - Juventus keep winning. They beat Frosinone 2-0. See the last sentence from the Roma recap above.

Inter Milan - Inter is the worst. They won again on a last minute goal in a crazy ass game that saw three goals disallowed by VAR. Three! All were the correct calls. This didn't stop Inter fans from playing victim and decrying injustice. Spalletti was sent off at the end after the game winner for yelling into a tv camera. It was weird. His one match ban was overturned. He'll be on the touchline tonight vs Fiorentina. Inter fans will still find something to cry injustice about because they are the worse. They are the Liverpool fans of Italy. I hate them.

Napoli - Napoli is figuring things out under Ancellotti. They bounced back from a disappointing 0-0 UCL draw with a 3-1 win over Torino. Carlo is just now figuring out he should probably start Dries Mertens. Dries Mertens is good. Napoli are probably the only serious challengers to Juve for the scudetto.

Fiorentina - Fiorentina beat Spal 3-0. They are on 10 points. They may be a legit contender for top 4. They have young players contributing. They play fluid attacking soccer. When I watch them I wish they were Roma. I really like this Fiorentina team.

Lazio - ******** Lazio now and forever. But especially now. It's the Derby Della Capitale this weekend. DAJE ROMA DAJE.

In other news the boys I told you about last week continue to be amazing. Krzystof Piatek scored again in Genoa's loss to Lazio and now leads the Capocanniere race with 5 goals despite Genoa playing one less game than 18 other teams. And Barella has been linked with a move to the EPL with Liverpool knocking on Cagliari's door because Liverpool are disgusting vultures.

Would you believe I am gonna be in the air on a flight back from Denver during the Roma vs Lazio game Saturday? As previously stated, everything is awful.

hardhead and chr1st repped this.
  5. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giuseppe Rossi popped for doping

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dude is cursed.

7. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giancarlo Gonzales doesn't even have to play for his aura of awesomeness to prevent the opponents from scoring.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I never liked you.

Crewster repped this.
  9. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hazard’s goal to knock out Liverpool was a thing of beauty.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Great goal. Another competition without a trophy for Klopp. Maybe another half billion in transfer fees would help solidify his team.

11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they should totally fire him. [emoji23]

12. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Is there any team in the world that is so upside down as Newcastle? Winless this year with only 2 draws and firmly in the relegation zone yet the fans are demanding the owner extend the coach's contract which the coach doesn't even want to sign! Meanwhile the owner stated that he never wanted to buy the club in the first place but routinely turns down offers to sell. The club's record transfer fee was last set back in 2005 on Micheal Owen...which is routinely passed by every EPL club every transfer window.

Why do I watch this sport...

chr1st repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His brother had a nice one vs Frankfurt as well....

14. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox putting a bundesliga2 game on FS1 this Sunday. Hamburg v St Pauli. I'm not sure they have ever done that before.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the Hamburg derby. Should be an interesting game. It's been a while since it was last played (2010).

St Pauli's stadium has an interesting view--an old flak bunker sits behind one of the stands--it is essentially impossible to tear it down. I went to a game there in 1986--but there's little left of it as all of the stands have been rebuilt or are being rebuilt. That's true of most of the stadia I went to there back in the day (the exception is the Olympic Stadium in Berlin).

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's at 7:30 AM. Not much going on at that time.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point---but I think the only games involving teams from that level that they have shown were the relegation matches.

I might get to watch a few minutes of this one.

18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know if he is still a Chelsea player on loan or did Chelsea sell him outright?

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Hull City get an unexpected point, Roma wins and everyone gets to laugh at ManU. Great start to the day.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ROMA ROMA ROMA! ROMA ROMA ROMA! ROMA ROMA ROMA! ROMA ROMA ROMA!

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Klopp unable to beat the former banker from Italy for the second time in a week despite spending a half billion dollars over two years and Sarri just having his team for a few weeks.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outright in 2015--but supposedly with a buyback clause--but that's been stated to not be in effect/non-existent as of 2017

stanger repped this.
  23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ahead of this week's Champions League action here is your @hangthadj Serie A Round 7 Review

@hangthadj's Serie A Round 7 Review - The Biggest Games in Europe Always Take Place in Italy.

Roma vs Lazio - The Derby della Capitale. And Roma wins again! Fantastic performance by the Giallorossi. EDF stuck with the 4-2-3-1 that was successful against Frosinone. But after about 20 minutes of Lazio dictating play things looked bleak for Roma. Pastore went off injured. On comes the maligned but full of potential Roman born and raised Lorenzo Pellegrini. All Pellegrini does is delver a MOTM performance. A backheeled goal, drawn down for foul that set up the free kick winner, and delivered the free kick assist on the third goal. Pellegrini's back heel goal was Roma's third of the season and inspired a slight edit to AS Roma crest. EDF has saved his job for another few weeks. Winning the Derby does that.

. Backheel.jpg

Juventus vs Napoli - Napoli went up early in this one, 1-0. And yet you never felt that they would win. Juventus scores three unanswered and under fire possible sexual assaulter Ronaldo gets two assists. Bonucci gets his first since returning. Juventus is the only team in Europe with a perfect record across all competitions remaining. They are insanely deep. And they are six points ahead of 2nd place 7 rounds in. Is the scudetto race over? Probably. ******** Juventus.

Fiorentina vs Atalanta - Fiorentina wins 2-0 and is flying high right now in 3rd place on 13 points. More cool though is the Stadio Artemio Franchi is rocking again. The team of course lost their captain, Davide Astori to a an awful and untimely death in his sleep. The fans had been at odds with the Della Valle family thinking they are not investing in the club enough. Somehow they have struck the right mix this year with great youth like Chiesa and Simeone, the on loan from Roma Gerson doing great work in midfield, and Pioli managing the team expertly with a noticeable bond with his players. On the other side Atalanta has been one of the feel good stories in Italy the past few seasons with gasperini recognized as one of the better tacticians in Italy. However, as his team continues to be gutted year after year luck may be starting to run out. Atalanta sit 15th on 6 points.

Both Milan teams won. ******** them. Quagliarella got two assists as Sampdoria won. I love Quagliarella. And Chievo Verona was so close to getting out of negative points before an 88th minute Simone Zaza goal gave Torino the win. I hate Chievo.

This coming weekend the televised game on ESPN 2 is an intriguing mid table clash. Genoa sitting 6th with the man Krzystof Piatek who I told you about will face 10th place Parma. Piatek had two more goals this weekend and is currently Europe's top scorer. Parma welcomed back Gervino to the continent and he has 3 goals so far and is pure calcio joy. The game is 630 am on Sunday and I will definitely be watching. Luigi Ferraris in Genoa always has one of Serie A's best atmospheres.

As one more parting gift, I will leave you with the Wright Thompson article on ESPN FC about the Derby della Capitale, and how calcio finds a way into your blood...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/italian-...a-defeat-lazio-in-eternal-derby-serie-a-clash

djtrinidad and chr1st repped this.
  24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TNT's champions league coverage is so shit. Fox is terrible, but even they were better than this.

Dear lord, please let ESPN get the rights again next year and throw all the games on E+

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former NBA star Steve Nash with some amazing analysis at halftime

/s