2018-19 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They only lost because of a PK for handball, which I don't even think existed. Whoever the blonde/red haired kid is for Atlanta, he is pretty damn good on the ball.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And of course, we really shouldn't be worried about results here.
    [I know I'll be insufferable if FCD does well again..........:)]

This is the first tournament of the season for some of these squads. They're integrating new players, perhaps new tactics, perhaps new coaches. Failure at this level is good. The kids will adjust and get better. Or they won't....................

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where was he playing?

5. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    FCD lost to Chivas 2-0. FCD has some work to do but its early on and can't really tell just how good these Mexican teams are.

FCD was pretty average overall but in a bright spot the new player that came over from Solar, Colin Smith, looks to be one of their best attacking players. He should get more time as the year goes on. The rest of the attack was pretty lackluster but its still early.

Having said the above, FCD may be the best MLS team there.

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is a midfielder, #26.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe you have the number mixed up or maybe this was one of the late game subs and I just didn't see well enough. The camera wasn't very good for this game. You could be correct about how this player played, but I just didn't see it.

8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it was him who looked the best on the ball and did pretty well to get the ball forward for Atlanta.

9. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 2 Recap (w/ MLS goal scorers in parentheses)

Club America 3 - Toronto FC 0
    LA Galaxy 1 - Atlanta United 0 (Andre Alexander Ochoa is listed as the goalscorer on the LigaMX website, but I don't see anyone on LAG's academy roster with that name -- he was #34 if that helps)
    Atlas 2 - Pachuca 1
    Chivas 2 - FC Dallas 0

Round 3 Recap (w/ MLS goal scorers in parentheses)

LA Galaxy 6 - Atlas 1 (Cameron Dunbar x2, Nestor Molina x2, Kobe Hernandez x2)
    FC Dallas 2 - Pachuca 1 (Ricard Pepi, Benjamin Redzic)
    Toronto FC 2 - Atlanta United 1 (TFC: Jacen Russell-Rowe, Ralph Priso; ATL: Trace Umstead)
    Chivas 1 - Club America 0

10. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    LAG up 1-0 on FCD at half in Mexico. LAG scored on a PK.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    LAG over FCD 2-0. FCD was dominate in the first 15 mintues of the game but could not create any real good chances. From there on LAG was the better team and looked very comfortable in the second half.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 4 Roundup

Pachuca 5 - Atlanta United 0
    LA Galaxy 2 - FC Dallas 0 (Cameron Dunbar [PK], Kobe Hernandez)
    Chivas 2 - Toronto FC 0
    Atlas 2 - Club America 1

Group A Standings

1. Chivas - 12 pts (+9)
    2. Atlas - 9 pts (-2)
    3. Pachuca - 6 pts (+4)
    4. Club America - 6 pts (+4)

Group B Standings
    1. LA Galaxy - 9 pts (+4)
    2. Toronto FC - 3 pts (-5)
    3. FC Dallas - 3 pts (-5)
    4. Atlanta United 0 pts (-8)

Round 5 Matchups (Tomorrow)

Chivas v Atlanta United
    Atlas v FC Dallas
    Pachuca v Club America
    LA Galaxy v Toronto FC

Pl@ymaker and Baysider repped this.
  13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    FCD up over Atlas 2-1 at half in Mexico. Pepi scored both for FCD and is the danger man for them today. Atlas got a late half PK to score their goal. Atlas is dominating the ball but FCD is dangerous on the counter.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    FCD beats Atlas 4-1. David Rodriguez scored the last 2 for FCD. FCD played most of the game on the counter and Atlas had the bulk of possession. FCD still with a chance to win the MLS bracket but needs LAG to drop a game in the last few.

Stupid_American and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are kind of weird results as they are all over the place. I guess roster turnover and tired legs are the explanation.

16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Agreed. I thought Club America was the best team FCD played but Club America lost to Atlas. Its a lot of games in a short period of time. FCD beat Atlas by a big score but I thought Atlas had some very skilled and dynamic players, it just didn't translate to a win.

17. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 5 Roundup

Chivas 1 - Atlanta United 1 (Brandon Clagette)
    FC Dallas 4 - Atlas 1 (Ricardo Pepi x2, David Rodriguez x2)
    Pachuca 3 - Club America 2
    LA Galaxy 1 (Adam Esparza) - Toronto FC 1 (Julian Altobelli)

Group A Standings

1. Chivas - 13 pts (+9)
    2. Pachuca - 9 pts (+5)
    3. Atlas - 9 pts (-5)
    4. Club America - 6 pts (+2)

Group B Standings

1. LA Galaxy - 10 pts (+4)
    2. FC Dallas - 6 pts (-2)
    3. Toronto FC - 4 pts (-5)
    4. Atlanta United - 1 pt (-8)

Round 6 Matchups (Tomorrow)

FC Dallas v Toronto FC
    Club America v Atlanta
    Pachuca v LA Galaxy
    Atlas v Chivas

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    One game to go, and the two MLS teams to advance are already decided. LA has 10 points, Dallas has 9. From what I've watched, those look like easily the two best MLS teams at this tournament. Atlanta has 1 point. A -14 goal differential.

Stark contrast in talent on this team from what they had in the '00 group with Carleton, Garces, Goslin, Asensio, Crain, Jones, McGann. If they are going to start putting out teams like this '02 year (this team is all 02's except for two 03's), their reputation will be pretty awful. I wasn't impressed with their '01 year either, but that team was well coached and got results, despite being a down year for talent. This is looking like a down year for talent and a new coaching staff that isn't getting results. Lets hope they rethink their strategy of player recruitment, and realize the need to bring in better players. Outside of Bello and the '00 year, they've not shown themselves to be a high level academy.

Atlanta talked a big game with player recruitment and they had a great first crop that they imported from other academies, but there hasn't been much after that. If you take away that first crop, I don't even know if they are more than middle in the league in terms of academy talent at this moment.

Pl@ymaker and BraveUpNorth repped this.
  19. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Atlanta looks out of place at this tournament but in all honestly, the other MSL teams, including LAG and FCD don't look that great. Its still early, but FCD the last few years looked much more powerful and dominate at the U17s and the Galaxy with Alvarez and Llanez over the last few years had firepower as well. These teams seem to be down from the typical at these clubs but will have to see how the year plays out.

20. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do know that Atlanta just got 3 new head youth coaches with various backgrounds and on the Scuffed podcast, they mentioned that Atlanta is recruiting pretty heavily out of state talent. It sort of sounded to me that he was insinuating the u-14 and u-13 range though. I'm willing to bet that Atlanta reaped the benefits of a pretty good Georgia United academy crop and some good recruiting and now they are finding their bearings as a newish academy.

There are still some good players in that age range for them and USAprospects put them in the top 10 academies at the u-19 level.

I do think they were hyped a bit much compared to FCD and LAG who have a very good system in place. But they are still better than most MLS academies imo.

ussoccer97531 and Stupid_American repped this.
  21. Timm

Timm Member

Fc Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 6, 2017
    Atlanta United's struggles shouldnt be a surprise. They pick mostly athletic youth players while their first team plays a completly different style with smaller, more technical South Americans. Thisnis what happens when you pick an Englishman to run your academy

22. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 6 Roundup

FC Dallas 2 (David Rodriguez, Ricardo Pepi) - Toronto FC 1 (Jayden Nelson)
    Club America 6 - Atlanta 0
    Pachuca 2 - LA Galaxy 1 (Cameron Dunbar)
    Atlas 1 - Chivas 0

Group A Standings

1. Chivas - 13 pts (+8)
    2. Pachuca - 12 pts (+6)
    3. Atlas - 12 pts (-4)
    4. Club America - 9 pts (+8)

Group B Standings

1. LA Galaxy - 10 pts (+3)
    2. FC Dallas - 9 pts (-1)
    3. Toronto FC - 4 pts (-6)
    4. Atlanta United - 1 pt (-14)

Round 7 Matchups (Final Round, Friday)

Chivas v Pachuca
    Toronto FC v Atlas
    Atlanta United v FC Dallas
    LA Galaxy v Club America

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, ckajMonet and TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to find video of Ceja and came across this absolutely brilliant goal by another LAFC player. LAFC's website does not name him directly in their match recap, but CONCACAF's website identifies him as Robert Willcot, an '05 who had 21 goals in 22 matches last season for LAFC U13, by far LAFC's leading scorer and probably one of the top scorers in the DA. Obviously he is one we will want to see at the next US U14 camp.

https://www.lafc.com/post/2018/08/2...e-semifinal-lafc-academy-3-0-montreal-academy
    http://www.concacaf.com/en/champion...13-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league-final
    http://lafc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=7528356&player=523201979

ielag, KUSA77, Stupid_American and 4 others repped this.
  25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell of a find. Definitely want to see more of that kid.

Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.