2018-19 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    Don’t believe so, maybe another Booth situation? Sorry, don’t have details, just a reliable source that ManU has been talking to him.

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    He turns 18 in January. Wonder if a DA unaffiliated w/ MLS would be willing to take him in until he heads abroad

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    Barca? Or any of the DA’s in SoCal, where he’s originally from, are possibilities.

4. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    #29 Runhard, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    It's my understanding it's much harder to get in the EPL as a youth player from America than any other country. Isn't there a rule in the EPL the teams have to have a certain number of players with English heritage and start a certain number each game? Further read the only way for US players to get over there is the club has to ask for an exemption that the player is of special skill and/or the player started over 75% of the recent games with the US senior national team. These may be old standards from back in the Dempsey era (I think that is where I saw them) but not sure.

Seems it would be really hard for a young player of US heritage to sign with MANU but would be great if he did.

IHSSOC repped this.
  5. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ

I agree, and I questioned it when I heard it, but my “sources” are adamant there have been conversations and genuine interest. I’m interested to see how it plays out.

Runhard and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UK has fairly difficult work permit requirements, but many Euro players are exempted because of the freedom of movement within the EU. Without a second passport from an EU country, Americans need to have played in 75% of competitive national team games over a certain time period (2 yrs, IIRC?) in order to get a work permit. Sometimes they can get in on appeal, but never for youth players.

Obviously, everything could change given the UK's impending Brexiteering.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for explaining that to us.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Might as well spill what you know before speculation becomes rumor and all that.

I mean, I heard they dropped him because Nick Rimando felt threatened because he was talking to his wife.

Sure, it was about babysitting, but Nick didn't know that till later.

9. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Without giving myself any credit (because I don't believe I posted it anywhere on this website), I thought that signing was going to take place eventually. And NYRB has a good academy. They just don't have that much talent in it, so they don't have waves of players coming through like FCD, Atlanta, LAG, etc.

This should be good for Toure. I'd like to see him play at a consistent level this season, and not be moved up and down. Let him play against his own age group (or even one age group higher) and dominate. Play him there for a number of games and when he's proven he's too good, move him up. I don't think it does a player much good to be constantly moving the level they are playing at, depending on the week.

ShaftBrewer and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone got any guesses?

Pl@ymaker and Stupid_American repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. "Star" is in the eyes of the beholder.
    When we look at UYSNT rosters there aren't many non-MLS "stars" that also aren't from another MLS clubs' homegrown region.

I'll go out on a limb. Francesco Pagano of Empire United.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late!

Pl@ymaker, ielag and Stupid_American repped this.
  14. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I’ve only ever seen him play right back but he definitely has the skill to play in the midfield. He has a ton of skill and is deadly with his crosses.

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something to look forward to next week!

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he plays in DM/CM with his age group. Thats where he was playing during the recent ICC futures tournament. Looked like he started out as a #6, and then transitioned to the #8. He even was playing some RW later in one of the games. I saw him playing RB playing up a year with the U-15's. I think he's one of those players who is going to be very good, but its hard to determine his position right now. I could see him playing CB, RB, DM or CM as his regular position.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Also these.

We had already heard about Toure, Araujo and Saldana. Very proactive move by Columbus to bring in Harms after what they just recently did bringing in a keeper from the age group right above Harms with Kowalczyk. Vegaalban to Seattle is interesting. More top level talent going to that academy. He should do well there, although I think Sacramento has a pretty good academy. Might be the best USL academy. Don't know much about Pukstas, but SKC has done a good job with young USYNT players of late.

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAG academy now has or had Axel Mendez '96, Alex Mendez '00, and Alex Mendez '01 (from IMG academy). All are midfielders.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear I thought they were all the same player

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Then it gets worse, as passports from EU nations donot give access anymore.

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly, but we do not know how the UK might reform their work permit process for soccer players as a result of Brexit. I am sure the EPL will lobby hard to ensure they have close to unfettered access to the global talent pool.

24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. They struggle to get a solution for the financial sector, which dwarfs the epl in economic significance. So I doubt soccer players are on the first to do list.