2017 Winter transfer: Wir verpflichten den Einwanderer. Daumen gedrückt!

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That article is laughable, and proof of why statistcs do not paint the complete picture. No one in their right mind would rank either Henderson or Can above Dahoud, and comparisons with Lallana are irrelevant, as he plays in a different position. At his age Dahoud is a player with a higher ceiling then any of Liverpool's squad, and they would have loved to have signed him. They lost out to Dortmund though, which must annoy them.

2. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think they were annoyed at losing Gotze. Then Pulisic probably pissed them off. This Dahoud deal must drive them mental.

3. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some insider claims we've or are close to signing a Schalke player. I call BS though. A few days ago Zorc said he'd consider buying one of theirs. Maybe Meyer or Sead.

4. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Kolasinac would be a great fit as he is sturdy yet agile and quick enough to play as a left CB in a 3-5-2 as well as a traditional LB in a 4-man back line...I doubt he would sign with BVB as he's Schalke through and through

5. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and BVB continue to weakening the competition.. I wonder whats the excuse now.. I bet we are going to hear the "dahoud is not a big talent" excuse

6. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What are you doing?...........

7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stating the facts

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If a Schalke player is in play, I want Goretzka. I don't care if we got Dahoud, if we have an opportunity to get Goretzka we need to take it and figure it out around them. Maybe a 4-3-3 with Dahoud, Goretzka, and Weigl. That sounds yummy.

9. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    No it sounds like a way to ruin a great team. Dahoud's qualities are best used in a 2 man midfield. Goretzka is a fantastic player and given the right discipline could become one of the best midfielders in the world, but the team is complete apart from a centre back. You can't buy all the best players in the world.

The two Schalke players I wouldn't mind would be Nastasic and Howedes.

10. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    What about Raphael?

Buying up all the talent just leads to disharmony in the dressing room, not enough minutes for the youngsters and players leaving. As things stand the squad is already too bloated.

Unless we play a 4-2-3-1 then at the least Mor (on loan) and Kagawa need to go.

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I feel like we've done this song and dance before. I understand that you think that and there's some validity to thst, but I just think Goretzka's too good a piece to not acquire given the opportunity.

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Maybe, but I am a big fan of Goretzka, I have always pushed his talent ever since I saw him at Schalke. In fact given the choice, I would probably take him over Dahoud.

However, we have Dahoud now. We have Mor and Gotze. A 4-3-3 kills their development. If we are going to play 4-3-3 we might as well sell Gotze now. A 4-3-3 also does not suit Dahoud. Dahoud is brilliant at evading a press, getting the ball from deep and passing through the lines.

If Schalke don't get CL, which is not a given yet they have a shot at the Europa, trust our own players and get ready for the fight.

Bayern said Gotze was too good to just let go, look how that turned out? Manchester United said Veron was too good to just let go, look how that turned out? Madrid decided James Rodriguez was too good to just let go, look how that turned out?

Buy Goretzka and we destroy Gotze/Mor and we will never see the best out of Mor.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree we'd have to let go of Götze/Mor if we got Goretzka and made the transition to a 4-3-3. I'd be okay with that; of course I'd love to see Mario rehab his career at Dortmund and see if Mor can develop a brain to go along with all that raw skill, but I think Goretzka offers more than Mor and Götze right now with additional upside as well. I disagree that Dahoud is strictly a guy for a double pivot; I think he'd do well with the additional positional verticality and freedom offered in a 4-3-3, and I think he and Goretzka would make a nice mix of skillsets as the double 8s ahead of Weigl, kind of in a mold similar to Kroos-Modric at Real Madrid.

14. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I think Goretzka will move in Juventus or somewhere out of Germany.... but thats the some story of Dahoud lol

Bring Thillo Kehrer there

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I don't think Kroos and Modric work that well. Kroos is just arguably the best midfielder in the world and Modric, despite declining is still one of the best. I actually think that is a great example of two brilliant players being shoehorned together. It still works, because they are brilliant players, but a more balanced midfield would be better. A Casmiero/Kroos/Vidal partnership would be far better.

Dahoud can cope in a 4-3-3, but that's not where you will get the best out of him. Dahoud is not as creative as say Keita or Goretzka, but is far, far better defensively.

We will agree to disagree. I really hate this idea of buying for the sake of buying. I hope no other signings are made except for at CB, unless Auba leaves.

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1016 MatthausSammer, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Fair enough. I think this summer definitive decisions have to be made about who to sell and who is here moving forward. There are too many players on this team, even for a manager who likes to rotate as much as Tuchel. Here's how I would break it down personally:

CORE PLAYERS MAY HAVE TO SELL:
    Aubameyang

CORE PLAYERS
    Reus
    Pulisic
    Dembele
    Sokratis
    Guerreiro
    Burki
    Dahoud

SEMI-CORE PLAYERS
    Bartra
    Passlack
    Isak (he just got here)
    Toprak (he just got here)
    Castro
    Durm
    Schmelzer

PLAYERS YOU NEED TO DECIDE ON MOVING FORWARD
    Merino (I'd keep)
    Piszczek (I'd test the market)
    Schürrle (I'd cut bait)
    Kagawa (Depending on system going forward)
    Götze (Depending on system going forward)
    Mor (I'd keep maybe loan)
    Bender (I'd cut bait)
    Sahin (I'd cut bait)

DEFINITE GONERS:
    Park
    Rode
    Ginter

If we're going to continue with the 3-4-3, and we sell all of Bender, Ginter, and Piszczek, we may need one or two additional CBs.

17. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Piszczek just renewed his contract and was talking about retiring here, I don't see him leaving any time soon

Liquid1010 repped this.
  18. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we do get a Schalke player it won't be Goretzka. Some players are loyal and some aren't. I think Goretzka is the former. Also for some it doesn't make sense when they can get even more money elsewhere.

Anyway it's either Max or Sead if there is anything to it. And if we are plucking off players then we should be going after direct competition, Bayern and RB. Bayern have enough money to secure Zielinski and Rodriguez and make their midfield dynamite.

19. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    MS is wide off the mark with some of his claims.

LP will lose his starting spot as soon as he's no longer able to balance his defensive frailties with his attacking acumen.

20. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LP is still a very good player with a lot of versatility. I would retain him, and let him retire with the club.

astrophyz repped this.
  21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm open to criticism. Hit me with it.
    I think Piszczek has found a role as a RCB in the 3-4-3 which is helping his value to the team and prolonging his career. He's not a great RCB, but he's far from terrible either.

22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair enough.

23. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not opposed to it. There was an article on goal.de about how he's incredibly good offensively.

But our club sucks at letting players retire. They kept Kehl on until he was borderline useless. Dede was humiliating made to play for the second team and wasn't even allowed to retire. Weidenfeller....Well the less said the better.

24. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A core player is almost always one who is talented, isn't often injured and some semblance of loyalty.

Why?
    With just loyalty have players like Schmelzer and Weidenfeller who are loyal but have zero talent and negate the need to be replaced. Also they prevent youngsters from developing. Likely the worst possible kind.

With just durability you have players like Castro who have zero talent, hog up enormous min in important matches and negated the urgency to purchase Dahoud.

With just talent you have guys like Miki who are little petals and leave after 1 season.

So you go figure which players check 3 out of 3. Apart from Sokratis, Burki, Weigl, PEA and Raphael, I don't see anybody. Reus, Götze need to overcome their issues. Demeble has pledged his loyalty for Barcelona. I do have high hopes for Pulisic, Bartra, Dahoud.

I don't see Toprak as semicore. We don't need him now, we won't need him next year either. Schmelzer, Durm, Castro all need to go. We can't aim to be a top club and have a bunch of below average players hogging up large min.

25. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    must reward loyalty! a good coach will convince the loyal and not so talented player that his role will be of leadership now, and his minutes will decrease. human skills.

i still worry about our CB positions. and i am so worried that we discover that sokratis wants to leave (a la Mikhi) in the summer. So unless we get a major talent at CB, we can't let go of Ginter and Pizceck, in addition to the loyalty argument.