Review: 2017 Wingate

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccer Father, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Soccer Father

Soccer Father New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    The outlook for Wingate University Women's Soccer is not good. The team's success, since Chip Wiggins, took over has been declining. This is due to the facts: 1) He is unable to recruit and commit talented players; 2) He is recruiting big physical players and not technical players; 3) Playing style is dump and run with thugs for defense; 4) He mistreats his players and therefore cause the good players to quit and/or transfer. His only good year was with players that he did not recruit. This is coming from a father who's daughter has played for him the last two years and was recruited by Chip Wiggins. She is not a thug and is a technical player, that is what he liked about her. Her freshman year played a lot, sophomore year played not as much. Then this last spring season started and played every minute of every game. Coach Wiggins even pointed out that she was playing great and was an asset to the team. But today, he decided to cut my daughter for no reason. It was not to free up money because he is not taking away her scholarship. Coach Wiggins has no clue what he is doing. He is keeping girls that have already announced they are transferring and cutting girls that he is praising for working hard and doing a good job. I have tried to get my daughter to transfer there are schools that want her, but she likes the school and her friends too much to transfer.

2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    So, how do you Really feel?

Do not mean to make light of the situation but there seems to be a piece of missing information. You don't cut a player in the Spring without a reason. I don't know this coach but I'd suggest he likely does have a clue what he's doing but you just don't know what he knows. Certainly, you can disagree with his judgement but he has a reason.

I understand you're upset but your reference to her teammates as thugs doesn't really help your credibility. I just looked it up. This team has been in their conference final the last 3 years and in the d2 NCAA tournament twice. They just lost the final in 2016 by a goal after winning 12 games. Lots of coaches/schools/players would like to be in 3 straight conference finals.

On the positive side, she has the summer to look at schools if she does want to leave. If she doesn't leave, she has the same cost to attend at least for next year. Hopefully, she gets the degree she wants and keeps those friends you mention. They will mean more than the memory of her college coach.

3. Soccer Father

Soccer Father New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Thank you for your reply and concern, but you do not have the facts correct. I am not posting to complain about a coach. I am posting to warn other players and their families what the coaching staff is like at Wingate University.

In cutting my daughter the coach did not give any reason. In fact he told her the week before the teams last spring game that she would be starting outside back in the fall. Then he cuts her a week later. This coach plays mind games with his players. He has told players they have two weeks left and then they are gone. He has told players he is paying (Scholarship) them too much for their ability. His players think he is Bipolar.

As for his record you need to look at what girls were being used to make the Conference Championships and NCAA appearances. Both NCAA Appearances and Conference Championships were using girls that the previous coach recruit, except for maybe two. Since he has been there Wingate has been slowly decline in placement in the conference for the regular season. Wingate made the conference championship last year but did not make the NCAA. Your entire statement proves what I was saying he is not recruiting the players needed to win.

Thank you for your concern about my daughter but she is a Biology/Pre-Med major with a GPA of 3.85. There needs to be no concern. In fact, I believe he is keeping her on scholarship to be able to use her GPA for a bonus. She has the second highest GPA on the team.

4. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I've never heard of Wingate University. Nevertheless...
    First, what does "cutting her" mean? Is she is no longer on the team, or just won't be a starter? There is a big difference between the two, obviously. I assume you mean she is simply not a starter as it would take something serious to be asked to leave the team.

Second, I can't imagine why a coach would not explain a major decision regarding a player. That is inexcusable and worth reporting to the athletic director. Demand an explanation.

Third, it's a sad fact that a lot of kids go to college programs with high expectations and dreams only to see them dashed for a variety of reasons. Good luck.....

5. Soccer Father

Soccer Father New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Kazoo, thank you for your comments. It sounds like I need to clear up some confusion. When I said "cutting her", I meant removing from the team. She is not a member of the team anymore. He did ask if she would play with the team in the Spring of 2018, but only for the spring. My daughter told him no. She is going to concentrate on her studies and not waste anymore time on this coach. This coaches practice it appears is to bring in a lot of recruits and then cut the girls from the team or gets them to transfer.

Other players have gone to the AD and complained. Nothing has been done. My daughter does not want to go to the AD in fear it might effect her friends and roommates. My wife and I will be asking the AD for a conference.

6. TarHeel95

TarHeel95 Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I know Chip fairly well from him recruiting some of my players at the club level and have watched Wingate play numerous times this fall. He started in prior to the 2013 season - to say the success has been all the previous staff if ridiculous. They certainly don't not play the most attractive style but I wouldn't classify them as "Thugs". Fairly direct team that is organized and athletic in most areas of the field (relative to the level) is how I would describe them.

Word of advice... if he is as bad a person as you are saying be very careful with the promise of your daughter keeping her scholarship. That makes zero sense... How much would a 3.85 GPA raise the team's GPA if they have 25+ players? I would be very surprised in Wingate has a bonus of any significance for a GPA of 3.whatever. The impact of "wasting" a scholarship would far outweigh the marginal difference of having a 3.85 factored into a team GPA. Not that it would be binding but I would have your daughter get that in writing.

7. Soccer Father

Soccer Father New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    TarHeel95, I agree with you on the scholarship matter, disagree on the success.

It is not ridiculous especially when you determine that the senior class this year was the previous coaches last recruiting class. You are right he coached them, but he did not recruit them. As for the playing style you are correct and using that style compared with his record proves my point it is not working. The team record is getting worse every year, I contribute to he recruiting the players that he wants to fit his style of play.

As for the scholarship, my daughter does not need it and that makes it even more confusing. Do not worry when I talk to the AD, I plan on making sure he has to follow through with it.

8. AndSolskjærHasWonIt

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 20, 2017
    !!Helicopter parent alert!!

Don't meet with the AD. Let your daughter sort it out. Welcome to real life.

9. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cutting her from the team (where you say the coach mistreats his player including your kid) and not taking away her scholarship at a school she likes attending?

Sounds like a win win. Honestly, what do you want from those of us on the forum? If advice, I offer that you let your kid decide what she wants to do. You support whatever she decides.

10. Soccer Father

Soccer Father New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    And and Sec123, good advice. Before talking to AD, I plan on asking my daughter. We do support any of her decision. What she wants is what we support and do.

11. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Why in the world would he remove a scholarship player from the team--especially a kid whom he supposedly said would play/start in the fall? It is one thing to tell a player she may not play much in the coming season--fair enough, coach's decision--but quite another to remove her from the team. That does not compute, unless it was her decision to quit the team. Why could she not--at the least--practice and suit up? But then he wants her to play in the spring? It all seems a bit weird, and the coach seems, well, the less said the better.

AndSolskjærHasWonIt repped this.
  12. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    You are a NUTJOB! You are all that is wrong in this world and with youth and college sports. Back in my day, parents did not get on message boards (there was no internet) and vent. And they did not call the AD for a meeting. They told their kid to work harder, be a better teammate and fight their battles face to face.

You sir are a NUTJOB!

13. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    It's unfortunate we are all wasting time reading this very twisted story from a disgruntled parent and responding to it...

Lensois repped this.
  14. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
  15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What's most probably happened is your daughter was told why she was cut by the coach but she is too embarrassed/ashamed to tell you. I've had this in the past when a parent calls and asks why their daughter has been suspended/cut/whatever the case may be. Usually turns out the kid didn't tell the parent the whole story. I'm guessing that's what happened here. Heck if you feel that strongly about it call the coach and ask
    Him. I'm sure he will have his reasons.

16. Soccer Father

Soccer Father New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Ok, last post from me on this issue. I posted my review of Wingate, just like all the other posts on this website about other soccer programs. My review was based upon facts that were determined by me in the two years my daughter played. I am sure there are differing opinions as there should be. I was posting to give any future recruit and her parents information from my side (not positive). There should be some positive sides that they are told as well. This way they can make an informed decision. This post was not suppose to be a complaining session on Chip Wiggins and if it turned into that I am sorry and will not go down that road. I have been called names and told I am wrong and that is those peoples opinions and they are free to express their opinions. One thing I will not do is get in to an argument with people on a website. I will also not demean anyone for voicing their opinion and I would hope for the same treatment.

What I was doing was defending and supporting my daughter as any good parent should do. As for the answers to the people who questioned my daughter, here are my answers. I will always defend my daughter, you can attack me, but do not attack my daughter.

1) I have always told my daughter to work hard at all she does and she does. She is not a slacker like someone suggested. Chip Wiggins even pointed this out to the team at trainings. He would say to everyone that they need to work like my daughter, she is here for the love of soccer and not a scholarship.

2) I have not contacted the AD and asked my daughter what she wants me to do. She is still going to the AD herself and has asked me not to. So, I will not be contacting the AD.

3) As for a reason for the cut and by the way my daughter is not hiding anything from me or lying (as someone suggested) to me. Last Fall Coach Wiggins informed my daughter that her playing still did not fit his playing still but he was not going to cut her because he need her work effort and leadership on the team. He indicated she might not play much, which my daughter did not like to be told. In response my daughter worked really hard in the spring and Coach Wiggins even agreed and played her. He even complimented her in front of the entire team on her play.

As said above, this is my last reply on this issue, so do not reply to this reply. If you want to post your opinion of Wingate Women's Soccer Program please do so everyone can be fully informed.

17. TheBobCrayBand

TheBobCrayBand New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Club:
    Charleston
    I can't see any Facts yet. Do you have proof, data or stats? These look Subjective to me. Five coaches recruiting together on a sideline can all disagree on talent in front of them, so I think you will have a difficult time defining #1 as fact and not your opinion.

You say he recruits big physical players and not technical players. He recruited your daughter. You claim she is technical. These can't coexist in FACT Land. To expand on this you would have to have evidence that he has never called or contacted a "technical player", but if you are half correct he has contacted at least one. So I can't believe you on any of your other factual statements.

You could maybe get close to proving they have thugs if their card count is substantially higher than everyone else's. Oh i just looked it up and it doesn't support your opinion so it appears you left it out.
    10 yellow cards and 0 red cards.

You actually give some evidence that the coach tries to treat your daughter well, keeping scholarship/ praising her in front of team, besides cutting her.

Here is my SUBJECTIVE opinion. 1) You do not know everything that is going on within the program. Only what you observe and what is told to you from some but not all sources with in the program. Because of this you come across more like a disgruntled parent lashing out than a neutral sharing facts about a program for potential recruits. 2) Again this is subjective, but it sounds like there is evidence the coach likes your daughter. the only thing I can link to mistreatment is not playing and cutting her. All the "Good"/"Respectable" coaches have to do that. It sounds like he wasn't great at communicating all this, but he did give some indication by telling her he didn't see playing time for her. The spring games do not matter so "In my opinion" I think he was trying to reward her by playing her and didn't consider that he might be confusing her. I bet he thinks he was being nice to her, while you think that bordered on mistreatment. I will also bet that if he hasn't caught wind of negativity towards him by your daughter that he would write a great reference letter for your daughter when she applies for grad school or a job.

Those are my 2 cents, no facts.

18. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Um as a parent of a kid going through the process, I give zero credibility to this post. Sorry you aren't "helping" anyone who might be looking at this program by providing them "facts". You just appear over involved and unbalanced.

19. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #19 Holmes12, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    To the soccer Reverand's defense, parents who project an air of mello yello, everything's chill, baby towards their own kid's prospects are being disingenuous. In my opinion. The mere nature of the non-rev/travel industry makes parent's over involved.

It's no offense to anybody but I remember a post from somebody claiming to have been a former D1 player herself and how she would be open for her own kid considering D3/liberal art/study abroad/arts schools. Sounds noble and good and nice, but we know what happens at the end of that day of consideration.

We're all big people, we know his Holiness' post is opinion. Me, I want the max number of opinions on any program. Why wouldn't that be of service?

20. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    No, there actually ARE parents like that out there believe it or not. I deal with them on a daily basis, in an environment where one would stereotype all parents to be way too involved, way too worried about their "DD" going DI. You may think their unicorns, but the fact is there are plenty of them out there.

21. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #21 Holmes12, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    yeah, I hear you, there are exceptions to every rule, but they only reinforce the rule as they are minority. Also, stereotypes, something like humor, do have truth behind them, otherwise, they wouldn't exist. I don't judge. Parents are dumping heavy investment into a cottage industry and have earned expectations of said industry, and is the natural (majority) view. But when others judge and slam the Soccer Father, calling him "psycho" (paraphrase) or insinuating he's overbearing, etc. from their pulpit, it's a lot bit judgmental, me thinx. I do not know if it's "hypocritical", honestly, as you point out. I suspect it's that too, just my opinion. Father offered his, what I feel, is valuable (to somebody) feedback, not unlike HomeAdvisor or Amazon ratings, People are thankful for negative reviews. So, why attack, judge and deride him? Like a bad marriage or school halls, for example, humans like to cast stones at other's glass houses...kinda makes us feel better about ours. Hey, I kinda like that. Now is the moment for quiet...remorseful...reflection from the mob, like Buttermaker seeing himself in the opposing manager during the championship in "Bad News Bears"...

thank you. Now, tell Father you're all sorry if you haven't chased him off.

22. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    I didn't attack the poster at all, I simply said that MOST parents are pretty mellow about the whole process. They are the majority. No stones cast, no beer cans in the corner of the dugout. Whatever I think about the original post, you wouldn't know because I never said one way or the other. As for stereotypes, you've misread the reply in regard to that topic. Not a shocker, really.