2017 US Open Cup Round #4: Union v City Islanders, June 14, 2017 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Jun 11, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. City Islanders

Poll closed Jun 14, 2017.
  1. Win

75.7%
  2. Loss

24.3%
  1. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No streaming for us out of towners?

3. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just realized Fafa is in the 18 - that's a good sign. Davies too.

4. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    lopezzzz repped this.
  5. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    These subs suck

SMDH

LimeTree repped this.
  6. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #56 LimeTree, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2017
    TBH this could be a schedule post for any given Union game under Jim. :ROFLMAO:

But yea, especially poor roster management today--from the lineup to the subs.

I imagine this is what purgatory must be like: a stiflingly dreary game of Philadelphia Union soccer that reaches the 90th minute, but never ends.

lopezzzz repped this.
  7. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Job done.

Thought Epps looked the part-decent 2nd rd. pick.
    Ref didn't like Rosey.
    The 'burg's counter was nice. They had the Union defense at sea on a good number of occasions. Medoza gets more help and this actually would've been surprisingly entertaining.........

8. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My highlight was probably running into Gooch and Edu after the match. Otherwise, Jones played well and Simpson involved himself well. The game as a whole was meh.

9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we banish Alberg?

Starpork repped this.
  10. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Missed this because I was in Cincy for the Ohio Derby, and trust me, Union games are going to be fun as hell in Cincy in a few years.

Might have been the most fun soccer game I have ever been to.

lopezzzz repped this.
  11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take back everything that I said above. No weather issues, no fireworks, a clinical performance and not much fun to watch at all.

That said, Curtin must be thrilled with the performance. HCI's gameplan was to sit back and defend compactly. The Union needed to break through and did. The Union had a huge possession advantage, didn't rush things and killed the game reasonably well. (Of course, if HCI scores on either of its good late chances -- hitting the crossbar and the scramble in the box -- it's a very different last few minutes.)

HCI's keeper was pretty poor. While he made a nice kick save on the Simpson breakaway, the first two goals are saved by all MLS and most USL goalkeepers.

Alberg looked disinterested in the first half and spent most of the second half sulking. He is a huge step down from Ilsinho.

Wijnaldum owes Davies a dinner. I think that it was likely that Davies was going to come on for Simpson late in the game until Wilnaldum started cramping and needed Gaddis to sub for him.

12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the most boring 4 goal game ever... in a way that's a good thing... they did what they should have against that team.

13. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am tired of Alberg's negative body language when things don't go his way. He was moping around when CJ scored.

Local Helmet's positioning was good and he made a few nice saves.

Simpson had some nice opportunities and I believe assisted on two of the goals.

Epps is relentless. Reminds me of Zakuani.

Starpork and thomas19064 repped this.
  14. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think I'm just tired of Alberg, full stop. Can be dangerous, but consistency, availability, and attitude after almost two seasons got me like nah.

thomas19064 repped this.
  16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time Jim or Earnie talk about the type of players they are looking for they always say "most" of the guys on the team fit the mold.... I can't help but think Alberg is one of the guys that they aren't happy with.

17. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's like he's just never adjusted for the speed of the game here. He always takes a split second too long to pass, shoot, or get in position, because he expects the defenders to be less aggressive. He never makes a defensive play because he seems to think the other team is going to play as slow as he wants to play. He shows up 15 pounds overweight to training camp because somehow, after a full season of being too slow for MLS, he forgot he needed to be faster. KK and JT were saying on the latest pod that he doesn't even train hard in practice. Guys with way more pedigree like Ilsinho, Barnetta, and Bedoya have come here, struggled, and worked their asses off to make it work. Why can't he?

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks have asked the same question repeatedly about Freddy Adu, and countless other Pro Athletes. Sometimes guys just don't have the desire, or will to strive to be better. For some players it's just a paycheck, and for other's it's everything to them. When his contract is up at the end of the season he'll likely move back to Europe and play for a mid-low table Eredivisie club again.

Some players just don't have the self-motivation, or desire......some are gamers and don't like to practice too......

drewuke repped this.
  19. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last year, he did.......and wasn't rewarded for it. Simply ain't havin' it now...........

20. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He did? I seem to recall him improving from "Not cutting it in MLS" to "Maybe useful if your team is out of ideas and you're not worried about defense." The guy has never showed he deserves to start.

21. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I said my piece about him in the off-season, and wanted him moved because of it. Union stood on 17.......dealer held a face card.