2017 U.S. Open Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Mar 1, 2017.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm counting on it!

PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The German Cup does it already, so it's not a crazy unprecedented thing either.

Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  3. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #628 whiteonrice04, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    I concur.
    Not only is it cash it is awesome exposure and marketing to the local region for them. Playing against the big boys means more to the lower division teams than the whole cup means to the big boys IMO. It builds passion amount the fans. IMO the exposure for the lower division teams is greater than the benefit the MLS teams get by a few thousand fans showing up (yes I know a few do better than that).
    I equate it to NCAA mid majors playing in the NCAA tournament (basketball). Obviously it isn't to that level (yet), but it is similar. When my alum mater and local university mid major makes it to the tourney i take the day off work so I can watch the game. It is a big deal around here. Seems like Cincinnati FC fans took this similarly.

IMO with USL becoming stronger the sky is the limit for the USOC. Maybe I am a dreamer.

P.S. sorry for all the "IMO"

Kejsare repped this.
  4. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm for lower league teams for hosting games vs higher league teams, with caveat that higher league teams get a percentage of ticket sales to cover the cost of travel or something.

5. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    I should point out that FC Cincy sold out games in the usl tourney last year as well (and against crystal palace). So it's not like this came out of no where. Interacting with other usl teams and fan bases on Twitter I think the lower divisions need to put some more effort in marketing. But yes, by all means give lower division teams home field.

Last night gave me all sorts of feels sitting in nippert I haven't had since I rushed that field as a student when UC clinched an Orange bowl birth. .... And then gutted. Soccer is such a cruel mistress. Love this team.

6. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Half time from last night. I don't take many pics or videos so sorry I don't have more

Attached Files:

RafaLarios repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It should be SOP that the visiting team gets a share of ticket revenue.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What if they only sell 500 seats?

I'm pretty sure part of the process with the USOC is that there is a budget per team to cover or offset the costs of travel. Back before the blind draw period, part of the bid process was a guarantee to cover the costs of the traveling team.

That's one of the reasons why Seattle was annoyed the Kansas City won the 2012 Final hosting bid. The ability to sell 40k tickets meant Seattle had more revenue to throw at the USSF and the bid.

The blind draw has changed some things, but I do believe that the USSF does charge hosts and uses the collective funds to help traveling teams.

For something like the USOC, I'm not a particular fan of "portion of the home team's receipts", but a flat payment from the USOC - not unlike the NCAA does in various tournaments would work. With the NCAA I believe there are two rates based on how far teams travel. Effectively a bus rate and a plane rate.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's fine too.

10. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    But tanking is cool man...

[​IMG]

11. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    #636 Cincy Liverpool fan, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Fc cincy (only televised in southwest Ohio on star 64) had an audience of about 93,000 (60,000 viewers + 33,000 live) not including the fountain square watch party. Still waiting on Dayton market numbers but just for cincy that's good for a 7.4 rating taking 1st or 2nd for their time slot based on initial ratings (and going head to head with Reds vs Cubs). With Dayton I'm gonna guess around 120,000-130,000 viewers in the Cincinnati-Dayton corridor. Not sure if that's good or not but I feel it's pretty good for a freaking usl side. Not sure what the local or national online streaming numbers are nor do I know new yorks tv numbers.

jayd8888, The Franchise and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that lower level clubs can host U.S. Open Cup games, but the mid-majors don't host NCAA Tournament games.

Unfortunately it wasn't on TV in New York.

Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  13. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    This doesn't change my point at all. Actually makes it stronger.

14. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------
    THIS is exactly where we need to be. 32 teams like all the other major sports league in the country. 30 games within conference to cut some travel for the teams and allow fans a chance to also have less travel to follow their teams.
    Then an East/West MLS Cup with cross over. #4w at #1E, #3w at #2 E. Quarters-Semis-Final. no more than that.
    Preseason games-US Open Cup Games- restored Hall of Fame Game-even CCL games will give you chances to play other teams in the other conference every so often.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I doubt you'll ever see another MLS season below 34 games*. If anything it will grow. It was 32 down to 28 in the beginning to save money on rent. Now that the vast majority of stadiums are revenue drivers for the teams, the desire will be to have more, not fewer, games. The only reason it's not 36/38 games now is to leave room for the playoffs and the offseason.

* who knows what's going to happen in 2022 with Qatar

henryo, JasonMa and The Franchise repped this.
  16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL is the only one with 32. NHL added Las Vegas to reach 31. NBA and MLB are at 30.

UxSxAxfooty and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  17. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    It is crazy NFL is the largest and only one that doesn't have any Canadian markets.

18. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CFL won't allow it--Canada is super protective of its own brand of football. i think the only american football league that included canada teams was the World League but i think that was only allowed because it was not viewed as a direct threat to the CFL. It is however an open secret that many canadians watch the NFL via satellite tv or if they live close ot the border they can even receive it over the airwaves due to overlap.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Except that Buffalo has played games in Toronto for years and was rumored to moving there until the city decided to fund a new NFL stadium.

JasonMa, sitruc, jayd8888 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto loves the Bills and the NFL. There is absolutely nothing the CFL could do to stop a team in Toronto. They host a college bowl game too.

sitruc repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean, no one really loves the Bills; it's more of a self-loathing for having chosen them as a favorite team, but general point taken. :p

BalanceUT, artml, JasonMa and 3 others repped this.
  22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point! :ROFLMAO:

23. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    They stopped doing the Bills games in Toronto last season due to poor ticket sales.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2013, actually. Attendance for that one was under 40,000.

25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, no. The Bills stopped those games because the new owners wanted all of the home games played in Buffalo. The Bills actually made MORE money off of the Toronto games then they did for three home games.

Not surprisingly Season Ticket sales increased after the Toronto games were ended. That 10th game makes having season tickets more valuable.
    No one actually chooses to be a Bills fan....you are either born one (being from Western/Central NY) or you've lived in the Buffalo area long enough to just become one. 18+ seasons without a playoff appearance is rough, lemme tell ya.......

And Philly fans think they have it rough............

jayd8888 repped this.