2017 U.S. Open Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I love this tournament. I just realize that it is very far from catching on in most markets. Very happy to see what Cincinnati is doing!!

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    You seem to have a real comprehension issue with what I have written.

Looking forward to ESPN2's coverage on 6/28.

4. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a few of us love it. There's something special about the runs that lower division and amateur teams have made every so often that is just unique.

The wins by Cal FC and Dallas Roma were special. Even this year's performance by Christos was impressive, and the amateur wins get all the more meaningful as MLS and lower pros improve.

5. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I am an MLS 96er and love the usoc. I have said for years it has a lot potential. Very happy to see some of the second division markets getting into it.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    D.C.’S LLOYD SAM: ENEMY OF SOCCER?
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/06/26/21/57/20170626-feat-usoc-lloyd-sam-dc-united-feature

jayd8888 and Just Offside repped this.
  8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  9. Procala

Procala New Member

Atlanta Unnited
    United States
    Aug 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would much rather have Miami here in Atlanta, but out of all the possibilities, this isn't the worst.

I think Atlanta rests Almirion and only play Asad for a half, but I think Atlanta takes this 2-1.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Where the hell did you get that nonsense idea?

11. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Idk, all the mls teams move games to like 1000 seat stadiums and ppl generally don't show up for the games and they aren't on tv much. Kind of implied

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It would only be implied if younger MLS fans were now compelling teams to keep those games in larger stadiums.

In my experience, older US soccer fans, like those of us who have been around since before MLS even existed, care a hell of a lot more about the USOC than the younger fans who have come to soccer largely since the 2010 World Cup.

The USOC is a niche event for the hardcore fans. That's OK. And, indeed, I kind of like it that way.

Ismitje, jaykoz3, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I like that you can clearly see the sidelines ref's reaction to what his mother was called by a fan in the stands.

ElJefe, jaykoz3, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  14. Procala

Procala New Member

Atlanta Unnited
    United States
    Aug 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this has more to do with the USOC not promoting itself properly. There are 3 or 4 changes that I think are obvious, but until they are changed, this cup is going to be very second tier behind the actual season.

15. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Personally I love it. What other sport has something like this! It's unique

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Why does SOCCERFAN believe that every perceived soccer-related attendance problem can be solved by more advertising or promotion?

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    In an ideal world, the USOC would have:

1. More prize money, so that teams took it more seriously.
    2. The exact same personal, niche feel that it has now.

Not everything great has to be big.

18. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    I have other general questions about the game in the us but I'm kind of afraid to get jumped.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    True, for the top division and the MLS season.

For the lower division sides, the USOC is in many ways "their season" or "their World Cup."

It is a marvelous stage.

But from a business perspective, MLS and MLS clubs have other and bigger priorities as well.

With time, the thought or hope is that the USOC will gain in more universal prestige and will perhaps be among the top priorities for MLS clubs. But the USOC is US Soccer's baby, and they need to nurture it, in the same way the the Canadian Fed is trying to nurture and improve their domestic cup competition.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meh, just don't be presumptuous or a dick and folks around here will be fine.

You have to remember, the USOC hasn't had much to work with until the past 10 years or so. There were some lean years within the past generation where there were, what, maybe 25 total professional teams across D1-3? And obviously those teams weren't playing the highest standard of ball, featuring big names or drawing TV appeal. It's only now that soccer has the depth of fan interest we see today that the USOC has garnered the comparable scale of interest. NOW we have stories like FC Cincy and Sacramento Republic to add some spice. Now we have the gap between DCU and Christos to create real Cinderella stories.

So it's not that folks don't like the USOC, merely that its appeal mirrors that of pro soccer in the States in general. Which is to say it's just now growing beyond the core fan base and finally touching the casual US sports fan.

The other, main reason you see teams playing these matches in smaller venues is because this type of Open Cup format (playing it alongside a regular league season) is new to the casual US sports fan, so teams have to break them in when it comes to grooming their interest and understanding why MLS club X is playing a D4 side on a Wednesday night.

Sachsen, tab5g and JasonMa repped this.
  21. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    no offence, but if you don't have a bit of thick skin in BigSoccer, you're not going to last long.

but on the other hand, a lot of people here know a ********ton about soccer in NA and pretty helpful, if you're aren't being an idiot

JasonMa repped this.
  22. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    It left the back half off my post, I was asking if there was a more all encompassing thread. Soccer culture questions

23. Procala

Procala New Member

Atlanta Unnited
    United States
    Aug 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you on about? Who said anything about attendance problems? And Who is Soccer Fan?

Anyways, I would allocate more prize money to the winners, which would make the MLS teams take this more serious, and then I would probably change the name of it. When you hear, "U.S Open Cup", most people think golf. If you say, 'Lamar Hunt', most people think NFL.

I wouldn't mind seeing it changed to US Cup, NA Cup (North American), or anything like that.

I mind also see about getting teams more local than what they are. I think in the current format Cincinnati FC is in the South? Surely we can change that.

24. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    In the south but playing Chicago lol