2017 U-17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 23, 2015.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Weah and Arteaga, so that means four are cut. I think they'll cut Watts. No reason to bring in Bello (instead of someone like Asensio) unless you planned on keeping Bello. I think Mendez definitely is cut, think another midfielder will be cut as well. Think it'll be Booth, although a chance its Vassilev. And then another attacker will likely be cut, so probably Reyes or Reynolds, I agree about that, think its Reyes.

I mentioned this in the other thread, Hackworth had three things to fix with this team. The CB position, which he looks to have done. Bringing back Shaver and Arteaga while cutting Vasquez was a good decision. And even if Arteaga doesn't come back, Shaver and Sands as the starting CB's is better than what we had before. I would've added another CB (likely one of the better 01's), but he's done reasonably well in fixing the CB position. The other two main problems were Akinola (who is still be there) and the midfield getting bossed too often.

The midfield is a problem of seniority, IMO. Ferri and Acosta should've both followed Vasquez out the door. Booth is a better player who brings more a complete game, despite being younger. He would've allowed for a quality two man CM, as I think Durkin and Booth as a two can do the job of three that Durkin and two of Goslin, Ferri and Acosta did. Goslin is still needed in the squad, if we want a defensive role from a #8 or a defensive three man midfield, but I would've also moved Sands to DM to be Durkin's back up, Arteaga and Shaver starting CB parternship, and bring in one of the 01 CB's (likely Araujo) to take up the role of the third CB, or he could've been the 4th with some combination of Asensio (who should be there over Bello)/Durkin/Sands/Lindsey filling in as the 3rd CB, despite being listed at a different position. But thats not what has happened. Its still possible, but if you look at Hackworth's main lineups, he likes Ferri and Acosta.

I think we are going to get bossed in CM, we'll be ineffective offensively down the right wing, CB might be a little more solid (although still a weakness for this team). I think how well this team does will depend on how well Garces keeps shots out, how well Carleton creates chances and how well Sargent finishes his chances. Seems simple, but I think it is simple with this group. If those three are not three of the best players at this tournament, I think we'll exit early. If they are, we have a chance to advance towards the end of this competition, IMO.

uclajames, Eighteen Alpha and SUDano repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rayshaun McGann

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...-tonny-temple-shanyder-borgelin-20170913.html

USSoccerNova repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we taking 2 or 3 GKs as part of the 21?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you gotta take 3.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Gacm32, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be good for both the US U17s and RSL.:thumbsup:

Bob Morocco, butters59 and Gacm32 repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know what to think of this.

On one hand, Hackworth lost the team the CONCACAF U-17 Championship because of that late sub he made, but he's mostly done a good job this cycle, certainly way better than Richie Williams.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hackworth is nothing special, Cabrera could do just as well, with the player pool we have now.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand, there's something to be said for winning pretty consistently and allowing the best players to play well. On the other, he still doesn't know who his CB pairing is and he's been way too loyal to certain players (Ayo) when there are clearly better players available

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

U.S. 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (S.L. Benfica; Philadelphia, Penn.), Justin Garces (Atlanta United FC; Miami, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (6): Sergiño Dest (Ajax; Almere-stad, Netherlands), Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Tyler Shaver (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Akil Watts (Portland Timbers, Fort Wayne, Ind.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): George Acosta (North Carolina FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake; Eden, Utah), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Soccer Club; Southlake, Texas), Chris Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Locust Grove, Ga.), Indiana Vassilev (Unattached; Savannah, Ga.)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Jacobo Reyes (C.F. Monterrey; Houston, Texas), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), Joshua Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; O'Fallon, Mo.), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain F.C., Rosedale, N.Y.)

Namdynamo, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 3 others repped this.
  12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sooo he pretty much wants Uly to play for Mexico? Smh. This roster is definitely not what I would have chosen.

13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Llanez exclusion is pretty shocking. At least he will travel with the team.
    • Ulysses Llañez (LA Galaxy; Lynwood, Calif.) has been named as an alternate and will travel with the team to Dubai and India. He will be ready to step into the roster in case of an injury up to 24 hours before kickoff of the opening match against India.

Eighteen Alpha and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He is going to be stomping on a lot of ankles during lead-up practices.

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    What changes would you have made.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    5 out of 7 ain't bad. I thought it would be Reyes vs Reynolds but it was Llanez and he lost out.
    Self repped.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who are the CBs again? I completely forgot who played in qualifying.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its Sands and Shaver most likely, Durkin and Lindsey as back up CB's, maybe Watts, Dest or Gloster, as well.

Vazquez was dropped from the qualifying team, as he was not good at that tournament, to put it nicely. Shaver takes his spot. IMO, a good decision. Its pretty much the same mix of CB's, just that one change. Team definitely doesn't have many natural CB's though, so its a makeshift CB pairing.

19. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    It seems like all LA Galaxy Academy players were cut

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anybody seen Jacobo Reyes play yet? Is he any good?

21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen him play, but the best I can provide is his YA thread which I've been updating: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/i-got-stripes-jacobo-reyes-murillo-at-cf-monterey.2009710/

Until being brought into the US U17s for the first time this June, Reyes had not been involved with USYNTs other than a lone U14 camp in 2014. He has been involved in Mexico youth teams at U15, U17, and U18 level. He flipped to the US the same week we were able to recruit back Llanez and Jesse Gonzalez. Though Reyes has been away from Monterrey frequently this early season due to USYNT involvement, he was able to recently break into their U20 starting lineup, despite retaining U17 eligibility and being younger than about half of Monterrey's U17 roster.

Side note: Reyes' thread includes a link to a large 48-player U14 camp in 2014, his lone US involvement up until a few months ago. The ones from that camp who have made the final U17 WC team: Budnik, Durkin, Gloster, Reyes, Akinola, Weah.

Eighteen Alpha, Starman*, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nothing from Kleiban yet?

Starman*, Gacm32, ChuckMe92 and 2 others repped this.
  23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He's going to wait for a bad game at the U17 YWC. Then watchout...........
    Trump level zingers will be flying.......

ielag, deejay, soccerusa517 and 8 others repped this.
  24. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eighteen Alpha and Gacm32 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, didn't impress me. Only saw him play once though. He wasn't bad, just didn't do much.

ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.