2017 U-17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone can't tell I'm fully aboard the Carleton train....choo fkn choo lol

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Depends if we're talking about qualifiers or the World Cup.
    Euro teams have just prevented a number of our U20s from attending CONCACAF qualifying.

Its rarely the case that a U17, foreign or domestic, is important enough to their team that he can't attend. That day will come, though, and it might already be here. If a U17 is routinely in the 18 of a professional first division club.......................then we have to expect that he'll be held back from the qualifiers. Maybe the the MLS club and the USSF will make a handshake deal about the World Cup itself.

Do people really think games against Salvadoran and Jamaican 16 year olds are as valuable to a young player as first team game time and elite training?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see U-20's a bit different.....they pretty much know who you are at 20, and usually 20 year olds are a lot closer to 1st team action. a 16 year old leaving is not going to affect your team, if it does you have a lot bigger problems. Plus, a guy like Carleton could potentially make Atlanta a lot of money, its only a matter of time before he crosses the pond.....Get him out there and get the hype train going so you can capitalize on it when the time comes

4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    .S. Under-17 Men's National Team head coach John Hackworth has named a 26-player roster for the team’s latest international camp, set to take place from Feb. 24-March 3, in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. During the camp, the U-17 MNT will play multiple friendlies against the U-17 Honduras team on Feb. 27 and March 2.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alexander Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Justin Garces (Kendall SC; Miami, Fla.), Quantrell Jones (Baltimore Celtic; Baltimore, Md.)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Asensio (Atlanta United; Roswell, Ga.), Ethan Bartlow (Crossfire Premier, Woodinville, Wash.), Jean-Julien Foe Nuphaus (Unattached, San Jose, Calif.), Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), Rayshaun McGann (Philadelphia Union; Royal Palm Beach, Fla.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Arturo Vasquez (FC Golden State; Mira Loma, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (10): George Acosta (Weston FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Isaac Angking (New England Revolution; Providence, R.I.), Grayson Barber (Sporting Kansas City; Blythewood, S.C.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake AZ; Eden, Utah), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea SC; Southlake, Texas), Christopher Goslin (Atlanta United; Locust Grove, Ga.), Indiana Vassilev (IMG Academy; Savannah, Ga.), Adrian Villegas (Portland Timbers; Hood River, Ore.), Akil Watts (IMG Academy; Fort Wayne, Ind.)

FORWARDS (5): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ont.), Nicolas Garcia-Morillo (Atletico Madrid; Madrid, Spain), Bryan Reynolds Jr. (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), William Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Joshua Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri; O’Fallen, Mo.)

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...ayer-training-camp-for-friendlies-in-honduras

Pl@ymaker, Eighteen Alpha and C-Rob repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    It depends. If, for example, Atlanta assumes that Carleton will be sold to Europe in 2 years, his participation in U-17 WC is a must. So they would be happy to let him play against Salvadorians, Grenadians or whoever else to help the team qualify.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nuphaus unattached. He started the season at Hoffenheim.

That should unfortunately shut the door on Sands or Durkin starting the season with either of their first team's. I don't know if we can interpret no Carleton as good news for his chances to be in Tato Martino's plans for the first week of the season, but I guess its not bad news on that front, like it is for Sands and Durkin.

7. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is interesting......when you have a 16 year old that the coach says nope he cant come......you know hes out there ballin. Its just a matter of time with this one. Hes the best prospect ive seen in my time watching the youth.....kid has it

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think Carleton not being there tells us what we want to know. Tata and the Atlanta staff think he's too important to release for the tournament.

Another player that could be there but isn't.......................is Jesus Ferreira of FCD. I don't know if that's due to citizenship issues, FCD not wanting him released, or the staff simply not selecting him. I suspect its the first of the three.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A good preseason with a new team is one of the important keystones for a good season. I think it says that Carleton will get some minutes and will be part of the rotation.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    A spectacularly talented roster. I hope we have a coach for the 2022 cycle worthy of this talent pool.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pl@ymaker, ussoccer97531, ielag and 3 others repped this.
  12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @lianesargent3's Tweet:

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We'll see. It's impossible to predict the future, but at his current age, I don't remember a more impactful player. I agree with you about that. I've consistently said that.

I suspect Ferreira just doesn't have citizenship yet.

As for Carleton, I think we know that Atlanta doesn't want to release him. I'd say its very likely he stays with Atlanta United instead of getting loaned out, but will he make Atlanta's 18 man roster for this weekend? I don't know. I saw an Atlanta United reporter asked about the 18, and he said its probably either Kratz (a third CM) or Carleton for a spot in the 18. We'll have to see, I think he's at the very least earned a spot in the 18.

15. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Daniel Robertson mentioned (00:39:10) on the Feb 16 2017 episode of the "19th Minute" podcast that he is very close to citizenship. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-47/id982467395?i=1000381290832&mt=2

16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    FC Dallas says Fierrera is a citizen on their website, I assume that's wrong tho.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ferreira, like Zelalem, will need a FIFA waiver to play for the US. That's all. Remember, the FIFA rules state that he has to be a resident for five years after turning 18.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That U-17 team is the real deal.....some ballers gunna come out of this group.....so exciting to follow as they beat the crap out of everyone

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sargent stepping up big time. Thats what this team needs.

For over a year, this team has been rotten in games Carleton didn't play. They need to prepare like he won't play. No excuses for not qualifying, if they go into qualifying without him. Forget Carleton, this team should be able to qualify without any of the starters. We have enough depth that missing some players shouldn't effect the ability to beat most teams in CONCACAF.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    So all the starters should stay home and not play 90 minute games just because they can?
    Carlton is not going to be a starter and barely play when they need a goal late. He needs minutes. Qualifying will suit them quite fine.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually, I said nothing about the starters not playing. Of course, they should play, if they aren't needed by their club teams. What I said is that we have a lot of depth, so we should be able to put out a "B" or "C" team (like the U-20's are doing right now), and qualify. Early in the cycle, this team played terrible without Carleton. They looked like they had no clue what they were doing when he wasn't on the field. And as good as he is, that shouldn't be the case in CONCACAF. There's enough depth on this team to win the CONCACAF Championship. Thats why I think its good that we are able to beat Honduras 5-1 without Carleton, and Sargent is really stepping up of late. Thats good for this U-17 group's long-term prognosis.

As for Carleton's first team minutes, you don't know, I don't know. That'll be determined during the season. What we know right now is that Atlanta wouldn't release him or he asked not to be released, so at least right now, he's important enough to Atlanta to not play with the U-17's. Therefore, they shouldn't count on him.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is the next qualifying team. Like six weeks or so.

My preferred 20 for now, if everyone is available. Hopefully not everyone is.

GK: Garces, Budnik
    Defenders; Xuxuh, Dest, Gloster, Shaver, Arteaga, McGann
    Midfielders: Durkin, Sands, Goslin, Booth, Ferri, Acosta, Carleton, Ferreira (if he becomes eligible)
    Forwards: Sargent, Akinola, Reynolds, Weah

Garces
    Xuxuh-Shaver-Arteaga-Gloster
    Carleton-Durkin-Goslin-Ferreira
    Sargent-Weah

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    Liane Sargent entering Nick Barbir territory as parents who are more informative than US Soccer YNT's official Twitter account.

US U-17's win 4-1 over Japan today.