2017 Soccer but NOT Rapids Related

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    (TM Every Rapids Fan Ever)

22SteveD, Quinn 33, fortcollins and 3 others repped this.
  2. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888, kucsdat, SccrDon and 2 others repped this.
  3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nashville Soccer Club may want to rethink their logo. It bears way too much resemblance to a symbol of hate (under the spoiler alert because it is offensive). Having anything remotely close to this is not OK.

Offensive image (open)

[​IMG]

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  4. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Nashville's NHL team is the Predators after all. I hear Roy Moore is one of their biggest fans!

5. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and in Bundesliga 3, SV Wehen Wiesbaden defeated FSV Zwickau 2:0 away from home to move up to third on the table behind SC Paderborn 07 and 1 FC Magdeburg 1.jpg

6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit surprised to see Detroit make it.

Four finalist cities named for next two MLS expansion teams

Cincinnati
    • Carl H. Lindner III – Co-CEO of American Financial Group and Owner, Chairman and CEO of FC Cincinnati
    • Scott Farmer - CEO of Cintas Corporation
    Detroit
    • Dan Gilbert – Owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Founder and Chairman of Quicken Loans, Inc.
    • Tom Gores – Owner of the Detroit Pistons and Founder, Chairman and CEO of Platinum Equity
    Nashville
    • John Ingram – Chairman of Ingram Industries Inc. and CEO Nashville Soccer Holdings
    • Wilf Family – owners of the Minnesota Vikings
    • Turner Family – Managing Partners of MarketStreet Enterprises
    Sacramento
    • Kevin Nagle – Managing Partner of Sac Soccer & Entertainment Holdings and Minority Owner of the Sacramento Kings
    • Jed York – CEO of the San Francisco Forty-Niners
    • Mark Friedman – President of Fulcrum Property Group and Minority Owner of the Sacramento Kings, and other limited partners.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/29/four-finalist-cities-named-next-two-mls-expansion-teams

22SteveD, fortcollins and kucsdat repped this.
  7. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I too am surprised by Detroit.

I'm rooting for Sacramento and Nashville.

I'm soured on Cincy in Columbus out.

fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Detroit is seeing a renaissance of sorts, can California support 4 teams or does Sacramento quickly become Chivas 2.0?

Where does Miami fit it (as if) and surprised to not see Saint Louis make the cut.

9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given what Sacramento has built, I'm rooting for them. I'd be happy with Cincy but no if it costs us Columbus.

fortcollins, Totoro and jayd8888 repped this.
  10. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be Detroit and Sacramento. Sacramento is the only western city on the list, and the league would need to balance the expansion somehow, especially if Miami ever gets its act together.

Cincinnati will have to wait a year or so, until expansion committee member Precourt steals the Crew for Austin. Nashville is the best prepared applicant and would be the best franchise of the pool, but it is a small market, and the MLS is all about chasing the big cities.

On Detroit: No. Just no. I know the arguments for Detroit. I know there are people who, for reasons beyond comprehension, actually like Detroit. There are cities that have serious coolness factor in their favor. Detroit isn't on that list. When was the last time anybody went on a weekend getaway to Detroit? How many people go to Detroit on their honeymoons? How many families have kids just begging to go to Detroit on vacation? Frankly, more people would probably choose Baghdad over Detroit. No, no, no, no, and no. Just no.

11. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    As someone with ties to Michigan, I really wonder who the Detroit group thinks is their fanbase. The Detroit City supporters seem to be completely against the MLS bid, and that's going to hit them. Detroit also has the problem of also being an NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA town, and Denver's a great example of how well competing against a full set of established teams works. Plus, I don't know if MLS wants to push the shared stadium case when they've been insisting on soccer specific stadiums. Lastly, outside of a few businesses around Tigers Stadium and Ford Field, that part of Detroit is a serious shit hole, so another strike against the Ford Field option.

The MLS 8-ball is too cloudy to predict how they're going to act, but I'd think Nashville and Sacramento are the two best choices. I think Nashville would be a great choice for getting visiting supporters to travel. Sacramento because it's the only good bid for the western conference.

fortcollins repped this.
  12. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Oh, and because those are the two best choices, we'll get Detroit and Cincinnati.

fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you all think of the Rumor of USA hosting an anti-WC this summer?

Rumor is Italy, Netherlands, Chile and USA so far, I would like to see at least 2 groups of 4.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester Rhinos go on hiatus for the next season:
    http://www.rhinossoccer.com/news_article/show/861933?referrer_id=2442447
    The Rochester Rhinos announced today that they will take a one-year hiatus from play in the United Soccer League (USL) during the 2018 season. This comes as the community rallied to generate increased support over the past two weeks, yet not to the extent needed.

jayd8888, Quinn 33 and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  15. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The response locally to the possibility of the Rhinos folding had been pretty tepid from my vantage. I'm a little dismayed, having just moved here.

The Rhinos wanted at least 2,500 commitments for season tickets (which may have been ambitious given their attendance this year) next year and got less than 1,000.

16. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Ireland & New Zealand would get it to 6 (2 more playoff losing teams), Honduras got closer than we did (also lost a playoff) so that's 7, highest ranked non-WC UEFA team not already listed for 8?
    Canada, a couple African teams, and a wildcard from somewhere (Northern Ireland or something) for 12?

It could be considered somewhat legit as a precursor for the expanded format they will be going to. And MLS can play right through it like a real WC. ;>)

jayd8888, COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    From the Guardian UK's WC draw coverage:
    "Vladimir Putin has already spoken, particularly about the way that “friendship and fair play are eternal values”. There was no audible laughter."

SccrDon repped this.
  18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for his comments when the whole nation is banned from Winter Olympics this go round. Shouldn't have hired a faithful diary keeper to oversee your doping program to win more medals at home.

jayd8888 repped this.
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I wonder if this idea rubs FIFA the wrong way.

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Easily bribed into liking it?

kucsdat repped this.
  21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Exactly, maybe some kind of assurance that it happens on Channel Z.

22. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it scares the crap out of that cesspool of thieves. Nothing would make me happier then to take their ball away from them, set up a clear and transparent organization to run a "Universe Cup" every 4 years.

fortcollins repped this.
  24. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, fortcollins and jayd8888 repped this.