2017 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to be such a downer. Just wait for Hangthadj to come back to this thread. He'll tell you Manneh is the next Salah or Hazard or something.

LaMascara and Salmos repped this.
  2. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I believe you. Just PAC has made some questionable decisions with transfers for the past 2 tournaments and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

I mean can't be worse than the prospect of losing your team altogether but I'm pretty disappointed.

Thanks for the detailed info. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

3. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think the point should be, why should a team that will have a payroll 2+ times bigger than ours get any of our players? The expansion draft was meant to be a mechanism to foster parity by way of increasing the competitiveness of a new team at the expense of existing teams / the Crew.

4. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just thinking about our current players who are pretty regular NT players and whether they could help us snag some talent they know.

Thinking about our LB/RB needs....I wonder if we could possibly get Merams teammates Ali Adnan from Udinese or Dhurgham Ismail who plays for Rizespor in Turkey.

Just some thoughts.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect we'll have some issues snagging players if they do not know where they will be playing over the course of their contract.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly at this point, that's fair. But I'll note that the league has been fairer with this process as they are no longer trying to stock an entire team in that draft--only 5 players total move.

7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm not expecting a whole lot when it comes to talent acquisition this season. Luckily we have most of the starters we need at least.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nah. Manneh isn't Hazard or Salah. He was by far our best option this season at right wing. He outperformed by a large margin in limited time our designated player Pedro Santos and Niko Hansen who miraculously had not yet had any offers from overseas despite the hype train sped away from the station towards superstardom after 80 minutes of MLS play.

He's a very good MLS player who was not a great fit for Berhalter's system because he tends to attack players with the ball or go direct to goal instead of horizontal or back passes. Despite this, as mentioned, he was our best performer where Berhalter chose to play him on the season.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember what happened the last time 3G thought that was the case?... Oh yeah...

Tobias C repped this.
  10. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is why I am a firm believer in making your system fit your players, not the other way around.

Robbo Crewfan and hangthadj repped this.
  11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Loaning out our #1 striker until the summer? Sounds like they're already looking to throw in the towel before the season even starts.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    946614517743673346 is not a valid tweet id

TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. That said, it may be time for Kamara to move on for the betterment of his career--much as that may s*ck for our team.

Robbo Crewfan, TRUJDUB and hardhead repped this.
  14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That time of year again. Looks like a reliable source.....

15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't doubt it if Olas looking to move onward and upward after consecutive productive seasons here. Kinda figured he was using us as a platform to elevate his status for a bigger European move. If the Celtic interest is real....that's undoubtedly more money and the opportunity to play Champions League competition.

If those rumors are true, then it makes the Santiago Garcia rumor believable. He looks like a decent replacement.

16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love just once if someone said they talked to their “unreliable source”. Every transfer rumor comes from a “reliable” source.

17. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I could see Meram leaving as he has had a couple of good years in a row but mainly due to the future of the Crew up in the air.
    And.....
    lots of people like me are not going to support a team with Crappy, Misguided, Daddy's Money Ownership.
    Thus...
    What player(s) want to play in a stadium that will be a least half empty.
    Therefore...
    I hate soccer in America

18. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With his NT time, he could get a work permit in the UK or the likes (he'd probably be more of an interest to a Championship team than Premier League, I'd imagine...)

19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah because Santiago Garcia looks more like a replacement than a back to Ola. Who signs a DP striker to be a back up. Really don’t see us switching to a two striker formation

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    No. Iraq's ranking is so low, he wouldn't get one.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move of a fairly equivalent striker from MLS to Europe. Our players are beginning to be in demand.

24. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Unless you are picking the players. Then you pick players for your system.

25. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1600 Tobias C, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Possibly of interest to some...preliminary MLS Mock Drafts...

Top Drawer Soccer has us in the First Round (21) taking midfielder Jake Rozhansky from Maryland.

Draft Utopia has our First Rounder as 6'2" forward Mohamed Thiaw from Louisville. With the 32nd selection (Round 2) they have us picking Jake Rozhansky.

That's 2 opinions in agreement on Rozhansky. Hes a defensive midfielder but like a lot of our others present and past is on the smaller side, 5'9" 145lbs.

While I definitely think well be drafting a DM....I'd like to get someone with some steel in em, to replace a little of what we had in Tchani. This dude would be more of another Trapp, which isn't necessarily bad though.

I also agree about drafting another center forward. Someone who can give Adam Jahn a run for his money and hopefully push him off the bench. Maybe we dont draft one though. For some reason I continually find myself believing the Zardes to Crew rumor just because it feels like a stupid "thing" that would happen, especially with all the tumult surrounding the team presently. I could see Gregg seeing Gyasi as a large quick player who keeps getting placed on the wings by LA and the USMNT because he's fast....but who he can possibly mold into his second coming of Kei Kamara for whenever Ola leaves. Just a suspicion.

TRUJDUB, MLSinCleveland and zman31 repped this.