2017 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    944380800727953408 is not a valid tweet id

2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly not bothered that he is gone. Use that money elsewhere

3. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    944626123111063552 is not a valid tweet id

Crew went back with second offer for Newell's 19yr old LB and were declined.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Did he ever complete the naturalization process?

He's not irreplaceable but we need a similar threat to come off the bench and add an offensive boost. At the moment we have Jahn and that's it. God help us if Ola gets hurt.

5. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grella replaces Manneh.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    On the roster, sure but he doesn't have Manneh's speed even when healthy which he isn't at the moment. Grella also can't play forward as Manneh could. Assuming he's healthy by the start of the season, he's a good backup wing player. But he doesn't scare defenses.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suppose we'll spend much money this season....with all the relocation drama?

I honestly can't see them paying much for any transfers accept for a modest amount for a left back....and that's if we dont find a free one. We probably need a warm body or two at DM since we just shed Saravia, Obinwa, and Swanson.......a reserve keeper and possibly another backup striker. I expect most of the needs will be filled via the draft though.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not January yet. I would expect some additional attacking signings.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I don't expect much spending since it would conflict with Precourt's "we're going broke in Columbus" narrative.

Our first round pick is likely to make the roster but may not play much. We traded our 2nd rounder for Grella (which I approve of). Late round picks are just shots in the dark. I expect we'll fill the holes with moderately priced veterans, probably from Scandinavia.

TRUJDUB and Tobias C repped this.
  10. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get Vancouver's first round pick if Manneh doesn't re-sign with us.

11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that right? Maybe why Columbus is letting him walk.

12. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Could anyone give me a briefing on this player? Usually when Grupo Pachuca buys a player there is some confusion about which club specifically the player is going to (Pachuca, Leon, Mineros, Talleres, Everton) but this player is very clearly coming to PAC.

13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd rather have Manneh than the draft pick.

hangthadj repped this.
  14. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Damn straight. A draft pick may turn into a decent player in a couple of years. But whoever we pick will likely never score as many MLS goals as Manneh already has.

ibrew repped this.
  16. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Crew keep their own 1st round pick since Manneh did not re-sign

kgilbert78 repped this.
  17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Our most productive right winger of last season (in limited time) leaves on a free to a better team in a better league. I respect his ambition.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the gamble when we made the trade. Opens even more money to spend. We will see if that happens.

19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Which is why he should have started and given a new contract. Instead we have to hope Santos is the real deal and now we don’t have a speedy sub with versatility which makes it vital that we get a young speedy back up forward / winger

Perhaps Zardes is really in our plans

20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Very fast player , one of the quickest burtst of speed in MLS. best as a LW because he doesn’t defend well enough to be a starter at outside mid. Could also be 2nd striker in a formation with two strikers.

Maybe Kyle or someone can break it down a lil further

LaMascara and Salmos repped this.
  21. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Thanks for the reply. Most of the local press is pretty optimistic about it but it’s more of a “he can surprise everyone and really do well” rather than a “he expect major things and he’s a star signing” optimism.

He’s going to a better league and overall there isn’t a big enough trend of MLS transfers to MX to project how he might do, which is understood by local press.

For those interested, he will probably play LW in a 4-3-3 with a narrow midfield. We signed Edson Puch to replace Chucky there last season and that didn’t work well.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  22. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I watched a few of your games with Honda, he was incredible in the beat down of Xolos. It seems like Manneh would be behind Sagal, a good late sub to keep opposing defenses to sit deeper and open up space between the lines for your AM's.

TRUJDUB and Salmos repped this.
  23. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    The formations have evolved somewhat but here's more or less what it looked like vs Gremio, which prior to the transfer window is more or less what our best team was:

-------------------------------------------------- Jara ------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Urretaviscaya
    ---------------------------------- Guzman ------------- Honda ------------------------------------
    ------------ Guti/Aguirre ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------- Hernandez ---------------------------------------------
    Mani ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Shaggy
    ---------------------------------- Murillo ---------------- Gonzalez --------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------- Perez -------------------------------------------------

KIND OF. It's a sort of weird 4-1-4-1 with Mani doing more LW duties than Guti. Aguirre does like to gravitate toward the wing sometimes but Guti doesn't. And maybe with Guzman a bit closer to Jara.

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Salmos

I'll just copy and paste this from a FIFA 18 thread:

Columbus fan here. For any English speaking Pachuca fans:

Manneh is a Gambian born winger who is eligible to play for the US. He's extremely right footed and prefers to play on the left wing. Incredibly fast. He prefers shooting much more than crossing or passing. I won't say he's selfish, but he's definitely more of a solo player than a team player. He has a bad habit of getting the ball, putting his head down, and trying to beat 4 or 5 defenders. Defensively, he's shit, zero effort, should have a low workrate. Even offensively, a lot of times he'll just walk around. When he has the ball, he runs hard, without the ball, he doesn't make many runs.

Overall, he has some great physical tools. He has a decent shot from just outside the penalty area and is willing to take defenders on 1v1 or 1v2 or 1v3. I think his current potential of 78 is too high. I don't think he has a lot of football intelligence honestly. If he didn't have the pace he has, he'd be pretty average IMO. I think the Manneh that plays now, is basically the Manneh that we will see for the rest of his career. He hasn't really evolved his game his 5 years in MLS. I'd put his potential at 73, maybe 74 max, but like I said I think he is pretty fairly rated on FIFA (except for the medium defensive workrate, should be low, and I think his offensive workrate should be medium, not high) and don't expect him to improve much.

A link to his FIFA 18 stats: https://sofifa.com/player/212807

Don't listen to @hangthadj he talks Manneh up like he's fvcking Neymar or Sadio Mane or Hazard or someone like that. He's got great pace, a decent shot from distance, low offensive and defense workrates, and zero footballing IQ. If Pachuca counterattacks constantly, then he'll be decent. If he has to play slow and combine with teammates, or god forbid cross the ball, then it's money well wasted.

TRUJDUB and Salmos repped this.
  25. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    He was free but I’ll be damned, every flaw you bring up is specifically every flaw we should have been avoiding in a player. Urreta is gifted but was held back simply because he has a bad habit of making one too many plays or taking on one too many defenders or holding the ball for a second too long, and now he’s on his way to Monterrey. This kid sounds like that but without the gift.

Liga MX is a slow paced, possession-based league. It has never been known for counterattacking.

Also thanks for the info. Some of the worst news I’ve received in a while lol

TRUJDUB and LaMascara repped this.