2017 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe we should get him on loan with option to buy so we get him now and work out the numbers later

2. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't work that way. The option to buy is agreed upon up front, otherwise it's just a loan.

mmradio13 repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. While loans with an option to buy are obviously a thing, I've read many article of deals where there was an agreed upon fee at the start of the loan, but at the end the two teams negotiate a different fee. Obviously, if a team agrees to a fee beforehand, then they need to be prepared to pay it at the end. That being said, there could be wiggle room. This is very common, especially in Portugal and Spain.

4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted I'm not a sports attorney, nor a contract attorney (or any other attorney), but I'd gather that those are probably always negotiated down.

i.e. the team that is buying the player has them on loan and wants to keep them but doesn't think they're worth the previously negotiated price. This would essentially be declining the option to buy at the end of the contract and then buying the player in a separate transaction. They may just amend the initial contract to make it easier, but it would still essentially be the buyer declining the buy option of the initial contract.

Are there any instances where a team gets someone on loan and there is some sort of agreement to buy but the purchase terms are TBD? I'd be surprised if there are.

5. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Summer window for the Crew seems more like a peep hole. They can see what they want..just cant afford it.

Jaybir and TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If MLS pays and owns everything why can't they just buy us a star instead of giving every good player to LAG etc...,

7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we aren't important to them.

8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And because the teams buy players....

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Then that means that MLS traded Kamara to the Revs......

10. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My understanding is MLS negotiatioes the players that teams identify . So they had something to do with us getting Kei but not anything to do with a trade within in the league other than giving approval

11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, teams negotiate. Ask TFC what MLS thought of Olaf Melberg when they tried to sign him.

12. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So the club negotiates and gets MLS to consign and fit part of the bill or in LAG case the entire bill ?

13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of the MLS like any business. Use Victoria's Secret since it is local.
    We will say that the Crew is the Shipping and Logistics Department and LAg is Model Acquisition.
    The Crew want a new logisitican, Victoria's Secret is not going to send them runway models (unless the model is past their prime and has a system optimization degree and really wants to work for Victoria's Secret). Victoria's Secret HR negotiates pay with advice of the hiring manager (The Crew) and signs the pay check. Oh and that logisitican will not get paid like a model. Because even though that employee may save the company multiple of millions a year, they just ain't pretty.

So why would the MLS give the Crew anyone who might have any pull or name recognition and not send the to LAG or LAFC?
    First of all I doubt very few overseas players are familiar with Columbus, and Columbus does not exactly have what a young player wants (Columbus - We have one of the highest educated population in the country, well and it can get cold, and no ocean or mountains, but you will get to be on national TV maybe once a year so your national team coach might be able to record your play).
    Second why would MLS want to put a high profile player on a team with low attendance with a fan base that at best would be called inconsistent?

puttputtfc repped this.
  14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Great post but brings the question of where single entity begins or ends. The Crew does not have 100% say in who they sign. Never did. For a while Crew didn't get anything from transfers. Can you tell me what players Columbus signed with the McBride/John/Friedel transfer money? Didn't think so. From day one, some teams were given a Donadoni some were given a Doctor. Personally, I think our attendance now is a reflection of that policy but that's a different discussion. Fact remains, Crew can only do so much in bringing a player here. It's not as easy as some people think and if you believe flow charts can be awfully complex.

CrewV Man and the_rickler repped this.
  15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Even if the Crew said, F' it. We're gonna splash on a big name like Chicharito or Zlatan or whoever (which we obviously wouldnt)....MLS would glide right over like a car salesman and steer them toward a shinier (bigger, more relevant) market. If Crew says, hey we want to sign this guy, Mensah from the Russian league, MLS will say "never heard of em, hes yours.

Under the current ownership we won't ever spend like that and I personally don't care as long as we can stay competitive. I'm more fascinated by finding productive talent in less obvious places (like Ola or Nikolic) or finding promising talent in the Latin American countries but that's just me. MLS will probably let us sign whoever we want once there isn't parity in the league anymore and the big teams can go crazy stacking themselves....when and if that day comes.

16. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And let's not forget we got a Director of "high performance" (whatever the hell thats supposed to be) and a guy who's played like 15 games out of the Gonzalez deal.

17. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We've bought an international roster spot from those bastards in DC.

Is anyone planning on waiting at the airport to welcome our new international roster spot? I can make signs.

18. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    smart play by DCU. They get GAM and give up a spot that they know we won't use (well)

Tobias C and chr1st repped this.
  19. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smart play by Columbus. We get an international spot and give up a limited amount of GAM that we know they won't use (well)

20. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

kgilbert78 repped this.
  21. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win-win for both. Or lose-lose.

Tobias C, mmradio13 and chr1st repped this.
  22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sounds fictional

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always TAM

IMG_7882a.jpg

24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you read that article and you really see how Atlanta has hit it out of the park this year.