2017 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wouldn't get your hopes up for signing someone who will make a meaningful impact in the offseason. We are maxed out on international slots and have $600k wrapped up in a guy who can't play and $800k in a guy who can't play well. I doubt we have the cap space/roster space to add anyone who can make a difference.

porchlight and ibrew repped this.
  2. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean transfer window not off-season.

3. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Mid-season and This team, once again, needs 2-3 legit starters to be meaningful. On top of that no injury issues to blame.

4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Qatar?

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup??

That's a CONCACAF event--and there are plenty of places in the southern US as well as all of Mexico that would qualify. Not to mention the Caribbean.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  6. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Yeah I meant Qatar, Alabama.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same difference.

8. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2017-6-26_1-22-27.png

A quick note, we've NEVER had three 10 goal scorers in a season. We're likely to see a bit of history this season in one way or another.

Robbiegoal, tokenliberal, foozer and 4 others repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dilly Duka tweets out team info Greg says it violates trust and it was handled the Duka tweets trust goes both ways

Duka is on the way out!

We really need a better 2nd choice striker and a DP Right side attacking midfielder maybe Pulisic would be a good move regardless we need a goal scoring DP

10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, pulisic shouldn't cost too much. How much GAM and TAM do you think Dortmund would want?

11. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If there were any less hype coming from this team, I'd assume they were all dead.
    Ggg may be a master strategist but as a showman and marketer he's got the personality of a wet dish towel. He's not helping Precourt's attempt at filling our stadium. How bout a glimmer of hope?

Robbo Crewfan and TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's it! Fire Gregg and hire Ray Hudson!

13. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don't make excuses just do it

14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A young USMNT star might be just what we need but if not him we need a star player who consistently scores and that will put butts in seats

15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #640 Tobias C, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    A consistent proven scorer on the wing would be wise. I'm not sure who on the USMNT could reliably deliver for us. Arriola or Kiesewetter would be realistic acquisitions but I don't know that they're substantial upgrades to Finlay or Manneh.

Pulisic has no business in MLS til he's past his prime (and I'm a supporter of younger talent in MLS). His next move will be to an EPL team....like Spurs, Liverpool, or Everton.....or he'll just stay at Dortmund if he can secure playing time. We can't land a player like that for any price, and we don't need to.

South America's the place to shop. You can get a talented player with experience, still in their prime, who's willing/interested in playing in middle America. This is where GBS's presence on this team would be nice.....he would find huge talents and be able to convince them to play for him (like Tata Martino) while saving Precourt from having to spend millions in his money for DPs....but I digress.

16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree with you however MLS needs to start grabbing young talent and then sell them to the big clubs in Europe until hopefully one day we can make so much money that MLS is competing with the top Leauges because we will be able to pay for better players and keep them without the need to resell all the time.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easier said than done.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get Lewandowski and Mueller while we're at it then.... and maybe Lahm will come out of retirement....

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My club, Moenchengladbach, has done this for decades. They are a club of some note, having won 5 German championships and have been in the Champions League a couple of times recently, including this past season. But the last German championship they won was in 1975. A few years back they made the CL as the 4th placed team--and then lost their top three players--one each--to the three teams above them. So you can be good at developing players (and I hope we do that--as it will mean improvement for our national team)--but keeping them? That's another thing all together. I have a feeling that a Madrid or a Chelsea could buy our whole league right now.

20. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casually mentioning that we should sign players valued at $30m+ who have no interest in stunting their growth by moving to MLS is fun.

I know Kate Upton is engaged to an MLB MVP, but I don't see why you're not married to her. Don't make excuses just do it.

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I could get her but she's not my type. :)

22. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Both parts of this statement is a lie

Aaron d and the_rickler repped this.
  23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahahahhahahahahhahaha

Screenshot_20170628-122155.png

24. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bit disingenuous... one person said that, and no one has agreed or anything.

And hypocritical... considering he's saying that from TWITTER! Much much MUCH worse can be found on twitter. (nothing against twitter as a whole. I used to like it much more than other social platforms)

25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    King being the person who wondered why teams would take short corners.

And he gets paid to write stuff.