2017 RSL Stats

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, May 2, 2017.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the nature of our team this season, how can anyone confidently read a whole lot into many of the stats comparing the team under the 2 coaches. We picked up Savarino, which improved our offensive movement and shot accuracy. Plata has begun shooting more accurately lately. When we are getting creamed and teams sit back waiting for the counter, its going to improve our passing accuracy and reduce dispossession. In his post-game last night Guv actually uttered some doubts about Petke. I was shocked.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were MANY who spouted that, with a change of coach, this team was capable of making it into the playoffs. It's kind of surprising to me how the goal posts keep moving on that and Waibel still (in many of those same circles) won't get the blame.

3. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My only real issue with Petke currently is the fact that his tactics openly highlight our biggest weakness. Usually you tactically try to hide weaknesses, but by pushing a high line and having the outside backs push high up, you are putting too much pressure on our centerbacks... who suck. In that way, he isn't doing his job.

On the flip side, these aren't his players, and I am sure he is trying to get a system in place that will be successful down the road. He is taking lumps now to get those who will be around next year are tactically ready next year maybe? Its definitely bad though when you lose 4-1 against a USL team...

Ismitje, 15 to 32, RoyalNonesuch and 2 others repped this.
  4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    That doesn't bode well for him, though, since this defensive line is the best Waibel has been able to produce in over 2 years.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I'm kind of losing steam in the Waibel ********ing sucks push. I think he's absolutely terrible and should have been let go at the same time as Cassar, don't get me wrong. It's just that it seems NOBODY with a platform will actually question his techniques/acquisition rate. Instead we're all left to believe that this team went from deepest ever to not having near enough talent without a single transfer window.

Lizzie Bee and Ismitje repped this.
  6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even sure how to interpret them. To me it looks like:
    1. In the lengthwise bar graph we look like every team. I'm not sure what to think.
    2. In the 2016 v. 2017 expected number of defensive actions for RSL, and in 2017 RSL compared to the other teams, the thing that stands out is that in 2017 there aren't many expected number of defensive actions. There is no deep orange in 2017. Does that mean we we do not actively defend? i.e., attackers are mostly open. Honestly, that's what it looks like.

But then, I'm not sure how they define "defensive action". I'm sure I'm just plain wrong, so I'm looking forward to other interpretations.

Ismitje repped this.
  8. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Wait, RSL has defensive actions? I thought we gave up on those...

Lizzie Bee, SenordrummeR2 and RSLer repped this.
  9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    It's "Offensive" Defensive action.

Taragui and RSLer repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what the heat graphs say.

Ivensor repped this.