2017 Roster moves

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 28, 2016.

1. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd agree, but then the MLS universe was full, not long ago, with people calling the Schweinsteiger signing a terrible move. All that has done is to take a team that was even worse than the Dynamo last year and make them the best team in the league.

Granted, with Zlatan's injury this is a little different.

2. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was more to Chicago than Schweinsteiger but good point.

3. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Martinez is official. He is signed as a young DP so all three DP slots are now filled. I guess this means they didn't use all that TAM and GAM to buy him down. I assume the DP tag is for the transfer fee only and not salary.

Heft repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm sure he's been streaming the Portugal 1st Division games of Braga all year - and I think most of this guy's appearances this year were with the Braga reserves

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    But Baghdad Brett has spoken.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    "....pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa...."

If we're waiting on a visa and this was a done deal before the window even opened why didn't we make this official earlier. Odd that he's in a Salata more than a week ago and it's not announced day 1.

FWIW if he was making the rounds of Pearland days ago the Welcome to Houston bit on social media is a bit lazy.

Whether him, Memo, Holland, or others, we could use some mid energy, particularly down in road games. But picking up someone basically still unclear if they pan out from the U20 to adult transition is a risky way to go about it. The whole thing with how Holland hasn't played much or Memo much more should suggest a more sure thing. This is kind of like an expensive draft pick (if it costs a DP).

I assume the DP reflects the fee and not the salary based on production. As I have said before, when it looks like there is a disparity between transfer fee and salary (Landin) that is a red flag to me. That suggests the abstracted market or asset value outpaces the actual terms he can command for his production. Maybe you unlock the hidden value from the fee or maybe the salary should have been your hint he's never done anything.

7. RTBO84

RTBO84 Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that's a good metric. From what I've seen in the transfer market, you typically pay a fee based on overall years of potential productivity whereas salary is your market value at that moment. Mbappe could break the transfer record but would be the ~8th highest paid player on Real Madrid @ 6 mill / year behind Ronaldo, Bale, Ramos, Kroos, Benzema, James & Modric.

The fee to salary ratio will be higher for younger players. You're paying for potential &, with potential, there is risk which is why you have busts.

*rey* repped this.
  8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Disagree. Mbappe, for our purposes, 16 goals in 40 games for Monaco would be bona fides and that salary would be huge for us and in a sense we'd be paying for production. We'd anticipate he'd produce for us. For Real Madrid, he becomes a little more like Martinez to us. For their purposes 5 goals a year from places like Monaco, showing some promise, is a high level of dime a dozen. That's actually a risk for them, but they have the finances to take such risks, at least as long as some pay off.

If he's a no-doubter like Messi or C. Ronaldo then that salary would be on up there within the team, like the fee. That the fee is up here and the salary is down there reflects some degree of risk, that the anticipatory market for young player services drives the fees up but that the personal terms are less mindboggling because, well, ain't done it yet, least not at that level of club.

If Martinez had done what he is said to promise, either we couldn't afford him or if we did he'd be a million dollar player. My concern here is if you believe the reports it's a million plus fee and for all I know his salary based on production is less than the Hondurans'. As with Landin, or even to some extent Torres, who had a high 7 figure fee and yet sub million salary, I think that circumstance hints at risk.

To be fair, Elis doesn't have a huge salary and I'd be curious what the option on him is. From a player perspective, perhaps similar risk. He was starting to wash out in MX. But assuming a non-astronomic fee, that would at least mean that the fee had priced the risk similar to the salary. The market misread the player, rather than the market is asking a fee that's perhaps stubbornly high.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    if we've got 7 figures, go buy me a few well scouted diamonds in the rough, or use it for salary of one exceptional player on a free. I'd rather have several risks like the Hondurans at less acquisitional cost, or one sure thing, than one risky player at high acquisitional cost.

Hydro repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to chuckle at this, as if anyone outside of Lester Gresch and Corey Roepken would have covered the signing of an obscure player in the Portuguese league

Hydro and Heft repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is awesome - Jordan just will not answer the actual question asked or give broad generalities as an answer. They asked him about homegrown players and after meandering he finishes the answer with "we're looking forward to the second half of the season". They asked about a person looking at Tomas Martinez not playing much with Braga and questioning thing and his response gets to roughly "it's imporant when a South American player comes to MLS that they have European experience". If they only asked Jordan if he had lunch with Tomas Martinez at Salata he'd probably answer "well, it's very important that leafy greens and vegetables are part of soccer player's diet."

He's got to be a frickin' nightmare in a deposition for opposing counsel

http://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/6o2v5h/dynamo_matt_jordan_featured_on_extratime_radio/

TX Bill, Hydro and MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  12. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Tomas Martinez is finally here.

I've gotten my heart broken before, that now I have scars, and the overgrown deformed scar tissue doesn't let my heart get happy over these things anymore.

So, right now, it's just... meh. Let's see what he brings to the team. Will he be the next Alex Lopez? Caraccio? Landin? Koke? or any other of the dumbasses who have been recruited by this "Miqui Maus" Dynamo organization?

What I can tell you is that I doubt that this guy will be that good that he will bring new fans. This organization will have to do a lot better if they want the beautiful 2012 fan base to return to the stadium.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, look at how excited the Orlando fans are. I think the only Dynamo fan who would do this for Tomas Martinez would be @brahmafutbol , assuming he could pry himself away from Trump tweets

And LA Galaxy investing:

TX Bill and Heft repped this.
  14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    It will be interesting to watch the moves each MLS team makes in this transfer window and compare/contrast to both the spend to get Martinez and the productivity moving forward.

15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What is Juvechelsea's stance on Martinez? Whatever stance he adopts this week, I'll take the opposite.

16. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The price tag thrown around for brother Dos Santos is fine, but he still has to perform plain and simple. Same for our guy.... I don't give a rats ass if he has won every trophy under the sun or sat the bench for every game, I need you to perform. Elis, Quito, Del La Garza all have and Torres has finally showed some life this year. I expect the same out of this guy.

I and the rest of you can monday quarterback every little decision the FO makes, but when they go out and buy a guy they think will help and isn't this shiny 5 star player we bitch about it. Makes people sound ungrateful.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Whatever floats your boat, dude. I got shouted down in the preseason and first few weeks talking the team up, now everyone is all "playoffs." I said a few weeks ago DC might be a game for a road win, voila. This is a conformity problem, that I don't say what people want to hear and am willing to challenge orthodoxies, not a content issue. I go with what I see.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    In terms of what I see on Martinez, bench this season and who knows beyond that. From what I saw on the youtube isos he is an interesting player willing to take people on, but also one-footed and a bit sloppy. He has some of Alex's qualities and approach but is nowhere near that good yet. Like I said before, at his rawness and age, kind of a draft pick.

The one thing I'd say talking him up is that what we could use on the bench is a transition to a Boniek Plus Kids concept away from this Sanchez nonsense. Boniek can do good in short spurts in a role similar to what Dempsey is being put in on the NT, he is less effective playing 90. He will play two ways. You can then run in Memo or Wenger two ways, or Holland/Martinez for offense when chasing a game, or Ward for defense when trying to close a game, or whichever of the four-headed forward monster isn't starting. And then Sanchez can get them water because his low energy crossing game is better suited to a target striker than our style and roster.

Ultimately it comes down to doing something when you're played and the Dynamo need to play the people who do produce. I am hoping the past few weeks opened the coach's eyes to players who can produce and that we're going to get away from the veteran pecking order nonsense.

19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    The Dos Santos signing will be a bad one for LA, not due to his talent (or lack thereof) but because his dad will take the team back to the early Beckham years. i have all the respect for Sigi just not sure he has it in him at this point to deal with that level of drama/crap

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  21. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who gives a s%$t what his stance is. It'll be wrong. He doesn't know football from football.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1247 juvechelsea, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Says the Everton fan who sold us out over the winter. You're not even a Dynamo fan anymore last I recall so GTFO.

Not only are you disloyal, your avatar is littered with gibberish for midtable English rubbish. A picture of another team's shirt. Another club as your club. A website for Everton. Go cheer for your half-a$$ third best team in Greater Manchester. [Even Leicester manages to trip over some kind of trophy once in a while.] Like that is a sign you know a thing about soccer other than (half-baked) loyalty yourself.

FWIW, I may be Juvechelsea but that predates us having MLS, this is my favorite team, and I haven't bothered to watch Juve in years. So at least I'm not some confused sellout who decides to come back by for his "second team" when we start winning again.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Great read! 2 things:

- I assume the writer is more familiar with American sports so he references the NFL and the New England Patriots, but the truth of the matter is that any team not named Real Madrid, Barcelona, United, Manchester City has been doing the same for years. Groom a youth prospect or unpolished gem, play them to make them marketable, sell them to a richer team above you on the socioeconomic ladder, them further mine the teams below you. Not a new concept.

- proves my Cubo point. still have a disdain for all those Dynamo fans that don't understand that a limited budget club cant sit a $7M player for a $70,000 player. You either play him or sell him.....and if you want to move him you play him to his strengths as to not hurt the player's valuation when you want to sell him. My last resort is to write it in crayolas for these people.

naranjableeder repped this.
  25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Two things. One, I think we need a playoff team ergo Alex and Elis and Cabezas and Cubo and all the other question marks get put off until the offseason, unless we start falling apart in which case you make risky moves. But until then right now we are running second in conference and I foresee no big moves so imminent "resolution" is "subtraction." Cubo is a mess and not a championship striker but he has useful qualities, even overpaid, to helping us win now.

Two, that doesn't mean he starts. In recent years Cubo and a struggling Bruin would get runs even as Manotas was the one producing. The team struggled. That is what happens when the salary wags the dog. What's happening this season is, for the most part, who produces plays. The team is that much better, splitting 20-30 forward goals amongst 4 players.

I get what you're saying as of when we are making options decisions but right now we're trying to make the playoffs, which I think we badly need for the franchise's fans. I don't think you risk that just to try and milk some considerations in exchange for a departing asset. You are better off squeezing the lemon dry and then making that decision.