2017 Roster moves

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We now have top Allocation spot. How do you think we use this in the season? Trade it to acquire a AM?
    Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 7.55.29 PM.png

2. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Use it on Geoff Cameron when he comes back this summer. :D

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  3. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Hey Geoff - Chris Canetti on line 1...........
    Geoff? Where did you go Geoff?

Levy2k6 repped this.
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #979 juvechelsea, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    I see allocation as a rare opportunity to better the team like a high draft pick, something not tossed away lightly, and as a valuable commodity where even if we don't want to use it, we should extract its value to step aside. I also think the window for this version of the team is now. I also think that building around Torres is dumb. So, as I have said before, you assume Torres is toast, pay down Manotas' DP slot, and use the allocation either directly (with allocation) or indirectly (allocation trade) to secure a playmaker. Torres would be here maybe one more year, the Playmaker and him overlap for 1/2 season in terms of payroll. The Playmaker steps into Torres' DP slot next season and we have one more available when Clark/Beasley/Boniek disappear in the next 1-2 years. This team, such as it is, is then more "complete" for this run. We can't do all our playmaking on wide balls from our own half, and if Alex was going to be good enough to pilot a half court version of the offense to the playoffs it would have happened last season.

Even if they were dumb enough to not want a new player for temporary financial reasons, you have to get something out of the draft position or you're an idiot. The allocation spot is itself valuable, teams don't want to wait necessarily. If you can't get something useful out of that you shouldn't be a GM.

5. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, Cam isn't really happy with the organization after Wade wasn't kept on... doubt he would come back with the FO we currently have. I can not remember us ever being in the position with top Allocation Spot. Let's see if shit it away in some stupid trade for MLS Bucks

6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Cameron wasn't happy with the organization before Wade was let go. He has lingering hard feelings over how his transfer was delayed/handled and does not like Canetti.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  7. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't aware of this incentive to bash...

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It's FO-specific. Kinnear helped in his work permit appeal. But Canetti and/or the league held out for more transfer fee when he was sold. The process dragged on and on, he was technically still with us but we were sitting him, while the parties were haggling the fee. Kinnear is gone as are most of the players he played here with. But the FO remains plus Jordan.

I think he wants to come back to MLS, the fee means we don't have first refusal rights, but he's slammed the door a couple times in social media just to be clear.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna guess a lot of the guys on the allocation list who may want to come back to MLS won't want to play in Houston so that undercuts our trading leverage a bit. If Geoff Cameron were to be in talks with MLS no other team would give us much for the #1 slot because they know he wouldn't sign going to Houston.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #985 juvechelsea, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Two of the three transactions moving us to the top were trades.

I can believe some players might wait out our tenure as top spot or decline to play here. I cannot believe no one allocation-eligible comes available the rest of the season. I can believe that if someone off the list wants in MLS, disinterest in playing here creates rather than destroys the trade dynamic. Blah Blah Punk Kid announces he wants to come back but not here. Ditto Cameron. Cannetti announces in response, we are considering signing him as #1 allocation but open to deals. Voila, market. If the player is good enough, the creation of the market sets off the bidding war and we can take the best exchange. That he doesn't want to play here only helps because it's a sincere opportunity for the player and not your usual bluff and bluster GM stuff. We'd have to risk signing the player but you could easily make some phone calls and test the trade waters before committing to certain players as allocations.

You have the big U20 tournaments coming up, a Bradenton class late spring as usual, and you'll have people who are faltering in Arena's eyes who want a domestic platform for attempted renewed relevance this cycle. I can't believe no one off that list or who could be added to it, is willing to sign a deal. These days, Miazga who? Ream, Yedlin, some others.

That being said, the allocation list now seems more populated by "former" as opposed to "future." Ie, people who got sold out of the league.

But so far, an allocation spot has been worth:
    (a) General Allocation Money, the No. 25 pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft Pick, and the No. 3 spot in the Allocation Ranking Order or
    (b) $100,000 General Allocation Money in 2018, $125,000 in Targeted Allocation Money in 2018, and an international roster spot through 2017

I also think the analysis overlooks that Team X comes out of the gate poorly, decides it will be a rebuilding year, allocation comes available in June, and they look at some of their decent size veteran deals and offer something akin to the Maidana/Wenger deal. That the deal could be salary dump and reboot on their end.

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is no one we can use coming back trading it for anything is better than letting it expire.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given our roster - we can use almost anyone coming back from that list. There will be guys on that list considering coming back in up thru late Summer

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I was impressed with Fossey U20s

14. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Chicharito may be heading to MLS soon. He will make a good impact, and may be worth the $$

Según un reporte de ESPN, una fuente habría indicado que ‘Chicharito’ estaría negociando un salario anual de nueve millones de dólares, el cual sería el más alto de la MLS. La intención de la MLS, quienes han tratado de atraer al jugador en otras ocasiones, sería poder firmarlo a partir del verano de 2018, luego de que su contrato con Bayer Leverkusen expire.

http://www.univision.com/deportes/f...ciendo-la-mls-por-javier-chicharito-hernandez

Soccergodlss repped this.
  16. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would be awesome for Houston, but LAFC is gonna nab him if he comes I'm sure.

17. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You're probably right on that

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Uh, yea, we ain't getting Cheech y'all.

That ish is gonna require beaucoup bucks.

We don't have owners who are interested in spending any money.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The article says he is asking for $9-Million

With the current support in the city for the Dynamo, it's a substantial risk, but it's something that the Dynamo need to look at closely.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Dynamo are trying to make this sound valuable, but how much is any English or other foreign team gonna pay for Barnes now that he's on his third MLS team in 8 months?

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Roc Nation people can convince him!

22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's probably one of the pros of using a well known agency.

23. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Now that Coyle is fired, the answer is nothing.