News: 2017 Raccoon Rodeo - the in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe they want him to work stadium security.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tallguy and Winoman repped this.
  3. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*ck it. Just because

4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarvas is in his last year with us, Vincent's return is highly questionable, Canouse, at 22, is probably an average DM for this league, and there's no sign that Durkin is yet ready to challenge him.

One decent young DM and a 17 year old protege does not a full compliment of DMs make. A move like this (getting a high quality DM with two years left in his legs who can challenge Canouse and share time through injuries and fixture congestion, but isn't a medium-to-long-term threat to his role as a starter) makes perfect sense. Taken from that perspective, it isn't a change at all, it's a necessary addition for Canouse's development and the resilience of the team.

We have no such player who can spell Acosta and/or Harkes in a similar capacity, and we will desperately need one if we're to avoid another year lost to injury and inconsistency. That player will be expensive, and every dollar we don't spend on this DM is one we can spend there, or at forward. So, for better or worse, that it would be DeJong, also makes sense.

That said, this sounds like a rumor of a rumor, and I'm not going to assume anything at this point.

ElApacheTevez and jason1551 repped this.
  5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O.K. What you said makes sense. But, the D-Mid slot - like Goalkeeper - is a position where American born & raised players seem to excel. I'd rather spend what it takes to bring Kitchen back than invest in another retread at this point. Even Jeffrey has become roughly competent as a substitute & emergency starter. Heck, does Richie Williams have children or grandchildren who are playing somewhere?

shawn12011 and GumbyG repped this.
  6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Kitchen, and I'd have been fine getting him instead of Canouse, but they're similar players at a similar point in their careers playing the same position. IMO, the most likely outcome is one cannibalizes the other's minutes to no good effect, and the other leaves after a year. That's the kind of lateral move you make when you're hoping to find a long-term replacement.

I'm not sure about American DMs excelling. Right now looking at the likely Nat depth chart, we have Bradley, Cameron, Acosta and McCarty, maybe? It used to be that you could easily conflate the description of an ideal DM destroyer-plus and the average US national team player, but for better or worse, I don't think that's true anymore.

jason1551, Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This is going to be a dogfight for the Wooden Spoon.

8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, the level of apathy just isn't there. We're spending money and playing attractive ball in spurts. Sure, we are consistently muffing shots like a contender, and we are having a terrible time with the final ball, but it's going to take a lot of bad luck, and even then, I think Ben's trying to not lose the locker room. I don't like our chances.

9. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather spend our limited foreign acquisition money on players who are good with the ball on their feet or who are good at putting the ball in the net. I guess I'm old fashioned, but that's who I am. There were times this year when I would have settled for Josh Gros on the wing. Heck, I would have been delighted to have Gros and Earnie Stewart on the wing before we picked up Zoltan. On the other hand, Dema I would have to think about - but, in spite of all his faults, one thing you could never take away from Kovalenko was his desire to dominate and win.

Winoman and song219 repped this.
  10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny we are at Friday already and we still don't have a pre-match thread for tomorrow.

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosh Hashanah?

james

benni..., DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muharram?

14. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #1090 Q*bert Jones III, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    DeJong is a shitty old man who is a shitty soccer player and a shitty human. Furthermore, the very last thing this team needs is another gritty defensive midfielder. Further furthermore, this shitty team and this shitty league should be above being a retirement home for shitty old soccer players. Further further furthermore, he was shitty for the shit LA Galaxy; what makes anyone think he's going to be less shitty after aging another year?

He's not quite Carlos Ruiz shit, but he's definitely shit.

mosca and Winoman repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's a rant!

Winoman repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yep. If we are going to pick up a thug with questionable ethics, he should at least be young.

Winoman repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

I don't think this makes anything better.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This season ended when DCU got a big fat nuthin' from that three-game homestand in June. If they had won just those three they'd be above the playoff line right now.

Also, if I'd been born taller, handsomer, and richer, I'd be dating a movie star right now.

Eastern Bear, Winoman, Boloni86 and 3 others repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Bruno Miranda was among the subs Bolivia left on the bench in a 0-0 draw with WC qualified Brasil tonight. Bolivia's keeper was magnificent and carried the day, I believe with one match day remaining in the odyssey that is CONMEBOL qualifying only Brasil has positively clinched a spot. Next Tuesday hopefully Miranda will take the field and show his stuff to the international viewers

20. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe United should keep tabs on that keeper.

21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    After doing his 90 minute impression of a human force field last night this gent is being looked at closely by many and the team he plays for in Chile has already bumped his transfer fee through the roof.

Winoman, gringolimon and sitruc repped this.
  22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is the place for it but Durkin managed to score in the U-17 World Cup.

23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola is in the XI for the USMNT. Hopefully we get three points and Paul contributes/ comes home healthy

Heist, Winoman and jason1551 repped this.
  24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He's had an OK half in the fray on the counter. At 3-0 US it's looking like they may try to coast in the second half